FORUMS

Realistic Damage Model System

Posted: //
April 7, 2015, 10:08 p.m.

I both hope and pray that, in time, the Dev's get around to creating a more realistic Damage Model System where each ship, with it's unique build, is designed to house different structures of Armor or Importance. For example a Broadside clashing into a bulky Dreadnought with a thick hull on either side won't deal near as much damage as a Broadside hitting it's Engines or Bridge. This would grant each ship an even more unique strategy as each ship is built to a different shape and structure. One ship might have it's engines more exposed than this one. Etc. This would also incorporate a more advanced style of Gameplay as players would learn which areas of their ship took more damage. And how to shift their ship about to better defend against an attack. (For example, a Corvette pops out of Stealth and unloads upon the Starboard side of a Dreadnought. Being the attack is hitting it in the heavily armored side of the ship, the damage is lower than if the Corvette had unleashed it's barrage on the Deck, Bridge, or Aft of the Dreadnought.)

In conjunction with this setup I wish to also voice that along with this idea I hope they introduce an Operational System to pair with the Damage Model. For example a ship with it's Bridge hit would receive longer Cooldown times as the Chain of Command is broken due to the damages sustained to the Officers of the ship. Or Speed and Agility lowered when a critical hit is scored against the Engine Systems. This creates a more logical and strategic method to the game. Players would learn to cope with their weaknesses. Adjust their positioning to enemy fire, and adjust their targeting against certain types of ships. However I would also like to add that this System would vary based one what MODEL ship is the target. Each Corporation having different Hull advantages and System-makeup.

One final note. Yes I understand this would be more strenuous on newer players or the less Tactical-minded. Therefore I petition that this be placed in a "Hardmode" match setting much like many FPS games have. This would let players choose whether they wish to test their minds in the heat of battle or to play with normal gameplay.

"Life is the only thing worth taking, everything else can be bought with credits."

April 7, 2015, 10:22 p.m.

i could see that working in a hard mode. also they allready said that different weapons/weapontypes leave different scars on your ship, so there allready is variation in what damage your ship will take visually, i don't think there will be negative effects on it however depending on where it got hit

time you enjoy wasting, is no wasted time

April 9, 2015, 1:16 a.m.

Aye but the negative effects are what make things more tacitcal

"Life is the only thing worth taking, everything else can be bought with credits."

April 9, 2015, 11:07 a.m.

Wouldn't that require an additional balancing, though?
All for it, but adding additional strengths and weaknesses that vary within play might require the base values to be edited specifically for that mode (which would probably be the only one I'd play :D).
Extreme example:
A fast corvette specialized in evasion and ambush, with very low hull, might die to a single broadside, as such never suffering from a dynamic damage model. At the same time, being able to deal more damage to specific parts of a target that the Corvette can, by it's very nature, pick at will, improves offense.
As such, that ship would have to be nerved to not unbalance this gamemode, but only in that gamemode.

We need "Alpha" and "Beta" Camo Patterns! Just plaster the Word all over the ships hull in various sizes and angles !
Link: Artillery Overview

April 9, 2015, 11:08 a.m.

definitely, but seeing as they want to keep things simple atm to balance stuff out i don't see them implementing this in the near future, it's an awesome idea though

time you enjoy wasting, is no wasted time

April 11, 2015, 2:57 a.m.

Well, if They add Hull tipe+ weapon tipe+specific area damage+ upgrades in speed + (all other upgrades I have read) based on the game mode, wouldn´t there be an invincible ship sunner or latter even by mistake?

In Times Of Peace Prepare For War

April 11, 2015, 3:32 a.m.

No they are balancing and working out the basic issues. I was stating this as a future idea. And no Mad they won't have OPness as they would end up balancing out what you trade in for certain stats. Like if you put on thicker hull then you lose speed due to the bulk and weight. Or if you focus on more speed/offensive stats your defense suffers turning you into a Glass Cannon. Either way I think it would be a stupendous idea. Yes I said it...Stupendous.

April 11, 2015, 4 a.m.

I'd rather it stayed simple, easy to understand and clean. I don't see any reason to make the damage system more complicated than it has to be.

Exitus acta probat.

April 11, 2015, 9:27 p.m.

Updated //
April 11, 2015, 9:28 p.m.

Well, some people like games where you have to think between shooting.
It's that whole mechwarrior facination where you can shoot off the weapon arm:
It allows a multitude of extra options, where instead of going for the kill, you can try crippling the enemy, exposing yourself less and potentially lessening return fire if you weren't able to end it quickly anyways;
It also makes people take new risks to get that better positioning to attack a weakpoint.
In short, it makes games more interesting.
At the cost of making them harder to learn and to balance, which is why it's suggested as an optional feature for a later time.

We need "Alpha" and "Beta" Camo Patterns! Just plaster the Word all over the ships hull in various sizes and angles !
Link: Artillery Overview

April 14, 2015, 1:22 a.m.

Updated //
April 14, 2015, 1:23 a.m.

^ Exactly. This would raise the difficulty and FORCE a team to cooperate with one another lest they want a bunch of monkeys running around with their heads cut off by precision teamwork and efficient tactics. This mode would grant us a firm, proffessional level of Ship-to-Ship combat with Risk-taking involved over the "I'M FIRING ALL MAH LAZERS LOLOLOLOLOL! DARN I DIED LET ME RESPAWN AND SPAM AGAIN LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!" Instead it would be "I'm taking hull damage! Cover my right flank! Corvette's go under and bring up some pressure from behind and drop their engines so they are sitting ducks! Artillery I need some cover fire! Take out the weapon deck on that Dreadnought! Missle Barrage away! Focus on the healer!" etc.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.