FORUMS

Realistic Damage Model System

Posted: //
April 14, 2015, 3:36 a.m.

While we don't have anything at the moment we have talked about this in depth and it's something we really want to do in the future. We've discussed several ideas but I wouldn't expect something as complicated as the Battletech's/Mechwarrior's paper doll system.

Nathan "nwood" Wood
Senior Level Designer, YAGER

April 15, 2015, 2:39 p.m.

nwood#2177 posted (#post-2179)

While we don't have anything at the moment we have talked about this in depth and it's something we really want to do in the future. We've discussed several ideas but I wouldn't expect something as complicated as the Battletech's/Mechwarrior's paper doll system.

I understand what you mean nwood. Might I make the suggestion that you don't create parts that are removed during combat(A bridge being blown off) but instead give it the visual effects of a small implosion along the said area. This could, in turn, drop the total amount of Hull points you can sustain, in the case of the Bridge you could increase Cooldown Time, in the Case of Engines decrease speed, etc. The Paperdoll system is fun for that type of game but this revolves around ship combat, so for that being said I could picture it more like in the old space battles of Star Wars where a sweeping run across the bridge/communications array/etc causes damage and eventually blow it up yet it is still visible destruction after its demise.

Also I want to add I am really glad to hear you have discussed it and hope to do it in the future.

"Life is the only thing worth taking, everything else can be bought with credits."

May 2, 2015, 1:35 p.m.

I'd love to see such a damage model. I've played Mechwarrior Online, which does have a model of the sort: each mech is divided on several parts, and each of them take damage separately, to the point of even transfering damage to adjacent sections when destroyed (or causing full detachments, such as losing an arm because the shoulder it was mounted on got destroyed first). Weapons and ammunition can be lost once the part they're mounted on is destroyed. Some components are key: losing the head (cockpit), center torso (main reactor) or both legs mean inmediate death.

I'm aware development is on a very advanced state to begin again with such model, but it would be great to have a future "hard" mode with this damage model.

Aug. 23, 2015, 2:22 p.m.

Updated //
Aug. 25, 2015, 9:46 a.m.

Realistic Damage Model System

splendid post, i fully agree.
I also want a upgrade of damage system in Dreadnought. Both, as visuals and as game mechanics.

as game mechanics - it's not so impossible or very hard to do this, as its sounding. Various games like Nexus: incident jupiter(an 10(!) years old game) and WarThunder(another f2p sessional game) had such complex damage system.
as visuals - it's almost "pain"(lol) for me to see how wrecks of the ships are just disappearing in Dreadnought. As example: ST: Legacy(2006 game. meh game, but had decent visual damage system), it was pleasure to see how part of my ship was thrown away with enemy torpedo strikes Also, when enemy phasers hitting my hull and left damage "scars" in the exact same place where it hitted.

sorry for the mentioning of other games, cuz it's a easy way to explain myself, since engl isn't my native

-

some people like games where you have to think between shooting.
In short, it makes games more interesting.

yep!

Aug. 24, 2015, 5:22 a.m.

IMHO, "realistic damage-models" would mean that when a Destroyer/Dreadnought/Artillery-cruiser shoots like 1-3 times at a Corvette, it would either go down easy peasy or simply explode, I assume, because the projectiles fired by the Des/DN/Arty are relatively large compared to Corvette's size.

and it would place bigger ships at bigger disadvantages, because their "double-damage-areas" like engines and the bridge would be relatively seen bigger than a Tac-cruisers or Artillery-cruiser's bridge. However their damage-output isn't accustomed and balanced for that kind of damage-system, I could imagine.
Overall, I'm not sure...

Yeahyeah, sure, it increase the reality-factor and makes games "more interesting", but could topple over the balance for/against some ships.
As my answer to many suggestions:
==> Custom&private matches are the solution smile

Dreadnought - & - Tac. Cruiser

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. -5:40(!spoiler)

Aug. 25, 2015, 9:58 a.m.

necroposter

I haven't seen the need in creating new topic with the almost same message\idea, since it's already exists and still was on the first discussions-page.

Aug. 25, 2015, 10:09 a.m.

Updated //
Aug. 25, 2015, 10:10 a.m.

Necroposter! smile

We´re just joking. We love you.

Sherogorat and IrishrOy after a good nuke

Aug. 25, 2015, 6:41 p.m.

Talint#9474 posted (#post-5711)

necroposter

I haven't seen the need in creating new topic with the almost same message\idea, since it's already exists and still was on the first discussions-page.

They are very lively, but they are not bad guys. Just give them a bash or two in the head and it will be all right =)

Aug. 25, 2015, 6:47 p.m.

We need more people like you lol

Dreadnought Reddit - Moderator Dreadnought Discord Server - Admin

Aug. 26, 2015, 3:43 a.m.

necroposter

Nah, man, no problemo smile
I just had the picture at hand and from the forums I come, when there is a break of almost 3-4 months between a post, it's considered a small necropost ^^

But I'm not really mad or angry at all, it takes a lot to get me annoyed :p
(I don't mind explaining 8 times+ to Newbies dropping in, asking about the confirmation-email when signing up for the beta or for the newsletter)

Dreadnought - & - Tac. Cruiser

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. -5:40(!spoiler)

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.