FORUMS

Best ship for each class?

Posted: //
March 9, 2017, 9:10 a.m.

What are the best (or notably uniquely fun) ships for each class?

For example, I've seen a lot of posts saying the Koschei is the best tactical cruiser, and several about the Nox being a unique mobile artillery crusier.

I'm just now getting into T3 and I want to know what lines to best invest my time into.

March 9, 2017, 10:36 a.m.

Updated //
March 10, 2017, 11:55 p.m.

If you want a destroyer, play onslaughts only and you will get everything very fast. Fill your fleet to 5 ships, every ship wil get equal amount of bonus exp. Preselect officer briefings which you want in future and passive lvl those ships in your fleet.

March 9, 2017, 5:48 p.m.

From My experience I've been seeing a lot of the Following:
-The successful destroyers tend to be either the Invictus or the Vigo. The Vigo is a traditional jack-of-all-trades and it has the most direct path to get it (all destroyers starting with the beginner TI). The Invictus is a fragile speedster with a seriously nasty punch and is harder to get (behind a Tac cruiser and a vet). The heavy destroyer the comes after the Dola isn't bad from my knowledge/experience but the Dola is such a sht ship that most people aren't willing to play it twice and most take the Koschei on the first run

-Dreadnoughts: people seem to evenly prefer all 3 of the dreadnought lines. I notice a lot of Jutlands because it's officer brief is one of the best. after the jutland I see a lot of the Oberon line (both TIII and TIV). The only thing to watch is that the Jutland's guns are bugged and do basically no damage at the moment.

-Artillery Cruisers: I see mostly the oberon light snipers and the Akula medium snipers. I find the Akula line is the best, it's also a direct route to TIV and TV. I'm told the heavy snipers are bugged (TIII doesn't fire 2 shots like it should, TIV does fire 2 shots but the damage is a few hundred points lower than it should be). I don't like the light snipers because I think they have too little damage and armor that the speed doesn't make up for but I see them a lot.

-Vets: Like the dreadnoughts I see all three Vet lines a good deal. However, I see more of the light speedy vets you get from the dover and the oberon vets you get from the Fulgora than the heavy vet line. They all seem to be pretty even in ability.

Tacs: The Koschei is hailed as the best TIV healer but it's really only good as a healer and you need a team that's paying attention. with lower level players it regularly swings games, against good players it's still a solid ship. The TIV aion from oberon is also quite common since it has decent heal but retains much of the utility (and offence) the Koschei lacks. Rare, but still effective is the damage/CC oriented Harwich TIV I know there's at least one squad that does well with them, but you have to play the palos to get it and the Palos has issues if there's not enough TIII/TII in a game for it to hunt or if the pilot doesn't understand it's rogue playstyle.

-Citizen Soldier -"Do not bring forth an argument that can be disproved with a 10 minute google search."

March 10, 2017, 3:25 a.m.

Adding to what Lincrono said, while it's true that Destroyers and Corvettes seem to be fielded rather evenly across manufacturers, a lot of that is due to Officer Briefings and ships further down the line.

The Fulgora for example is easily the worst corvette currently, due to being even slower than the heavy one. It requires quite some skill to do "okay" in, but if you do okay in the Fulgora you would have probably dominated the match in a Machias or Valcour smile

It's a bit more difficult with the Dreadnoughts as the Jupiter Arms line is simultaneously the best and the worst of them. It is the best tank in the game, it is also fairly mobile with warp, but, due to how the point system is designed, tanking will usually not pay out. You need kills too and here the Jutland etc. are terrible. Pick the Akula line for 2nd best tanking and decent long range dps or the Oberon line for okay-ish survivability and short range burst.
The thing, to me, is that while the Devs certainly seem to have a role assigned for each ship class, there are several that just seem more thought out or "complete" than others. Especially on T3.

At T4, which is what the game was originally balanced around in alpha, pretty much every ship settles into its role nicely. The Blud (successor of the Dola) becomes the tanky short range monster we wish the Dola was, the Medusa (T4 of the Fulgora) gets the dps and module variety (cloak!) that make its playstyle viable etc.

But they never seem to have gotten around to properly balance T3, which remains the ugly duck of this game

March 10, 2017, 4:47 a.m.

There isnt a best as its down to play style and each ship has its pros and cons.

For example there is no best tac; the Harwich is a true Tactical ship which can passively heal whilst focus on damage or can be an awesome swiss army knife which has good handling, on the other hand the Koshei is the utlimate healing brick. Its down to what you want.

I love the light dread and dessie as I prefer the speed/handling, but vette wise I like the medium vette due to its primary weapon mechanics (less burst than a light but can fire in multiple direction not just the front arc). Its all down to personal preference.

If you are a new player, you should look at the officer briefs that each ship has as once unlocked all ships can use them.

The Palos (T3 tac) has Feedback Loop which is an amazing game change officer brief.

March 10, 2017, 8:36 p.m.

Atm having a lot of success with Aion + feedback loop + emergency evac. Can't heal as well as a koshei, but I don't depend on my team to stay alive thanks to energy management and that evac.

Unlocking all ships and modules should not be the endgame, it should mark the point where the game truly begins.

March 11, 2017, 4:56 a.m.

Updated //
March 11, 2017, 5:22 a.m.

Non of the ships have the same play style so you can't really compare them. From my experience:

Tacs

• Light: Offensive ganking/support build. The perfect corvette hunter.
  • Medium: More of a supportive frontline ship. Works extremely well with (for example) purge beam, as people do not rely on you to heal them. People should not expect this ship to heal 100%, but more of an all-round addition, supporting the team with more than heals.
  • Heavy: The best healer out there. Can be extremely tanky and can keep stuff up when needed. Full heal builds are tough to play against!

Destroyers

• Light: Hit & Run. Similar play style to a corvette but packs quite a punch from 2km away. Also very nice to build as a rammer
  • Medium: All-rounder. Very precise and useful on medium to long range. Not agile enough for a proper ram build, but it can still work. More of a suppressive firing ship that deals quite a punch with primary weapons.
  • Heavy: My favorite! The Dola is a pain to grind through, but it's worth it. With 128 rounds, you rarely have to reload. I've been running it with: Storm Missiles, Light Missiles/Weapon Breaker, Weapon Booster Pulse, Energy Generator; Module Amper, Retaliator, Adrenaline Shot and Slow & Steady. This ship is extremely tanky with this setup, but works best with a healer. The high ammo compensates for the slow reload time (2.5s if I remember correctly). It's really precise, but the projects are slow. With energy gen and weapon booster, you lose 0 seconds on reloading in between, making it a constant suppressive fire ship. Crawl up close and benefit from Retaliator + Arenaline shot, so you can constantly fire out them Storms and Light missiles.

Dreadnought Support Tool | Customer Support | Dreadnought Discord | Ship Datamine - by Snib

March 11, 2017, 5:23 a.m.

None of the ships have the same play style so you can't really compare them. From my experience:

Tacs

• Light: Offensive ganking/support build. The perfect corvette hunter.
  • Medium: More of a supportive frontline ship. Works extremely well with (for example) purge beam, as people do not rely on you to heal them. People should not expect this ship to heal 100%, but more of an all-round addition, supporting the team with more than heals.
  • Heavy: The best healer out there. Can be extremely tanky and can keep stuff up when needed. Full heal builds are tough to play against!

Destroyers

• Light: Hit & Run. Similar play style to a corvette but packs quite a punch from 2km away. Also very nice to build as a rammer
  • Medium: All-rounder. Very precise and useful on medium to long range. Not agile enough for a proper ram build, but it can still work. More of a suppressive firing ship that deals quite a punch with primary weapons.
  • Heavy: My favorite! The Dola is a pain to grind through, but it's worth it. With 128 rounds, you rarely have to reload. I've been running it with: Storm Missiles, Light Missiles/Weapon Breaker, Weapon Booster Pulse, Energy Generator; Module Amper, Retaliator, Adrenaline Shot and Slow & Steady. This ship is extremely tanky with this setup, but works best with a healer. The high ammo compensates for the slow reload time (2.5s if I remember correctly). It's really precise, but the projects are slow. With energy gen and weapon booster, you lose 0 seconds on reloading in between, making it a constant suppressive fire ship. Crawl up close and benefit from Retaliator + Arenaline shot, so you can constantly fire out them Storms and Light missiles.

Dreadnought Support Tool | Customer Support | Dreadnought Discord | Ship Datamine - by Snib

March 11, 2017, 8:59 p.m.

Honestly, a lot of the issue of best/worst ships is directly with T3. T3s are just T4s that don't support anything but a basic playstyle. For example, the T3 destroyer has two kinds of primary missiles: long range Tempest Missiles and midrange area suppression Goliath Torpedo. T4 adds a long range mini-nuke torpedo, short range high-power Storm Missiles, midrange scattershot Missile Repeater, and the close-assault Flashpoint mini-nuke swarm. So you actually have the flexibility to play the ships as they're meant to be played instead of shoehorning light, medium, and heavy into the same default role.

Born to ride the storm description

March 12, 2017, 12:57 a.m.

Updated //
March 12, 2017, 12:58 a.m.

Presuming you have all relevent OBs & are playing Vet (T4 max):

Arty: Medium Line (Murometz). Heavy line bugged and Light line only becomes decent at T4 (Nox).

Tac: Heavy (Koshei). The other two can't come close to its heal output & tankiness. (Light line wins for Vette hunting though, but that's a niche usage.)

Dread: Medium Line (Voronezh), due to its relatively faster movespeed, functional main guns, & ability to take a 4th module slot (typically for double armor amp). The Medium line is faster, tankier, and generally more useful than the Heavy or Light lines. The Light is a bit too squishy for a Dread, being more like a very tanky Destroyer instead. Heavy T4's (Jutland) main guns are bugged and it moves as slow as molasses requires the 4th slot be some type of movement module.
Corvette: Super Heavy Corvette wins. It's the only corvette that can use Plasma Ram. Followed by the Light line barely inching ahead of the Heavy line (Stribog). The Heavy is good for the niche purpose of anti-arty (against competent artys that can track vettes, the increased tankiness of the heavy (Stribog) makes it strong enough to kill the arty before it kills you.) But the light is better for general purpose usage. Medium line would be the worst of the vettes.
Destroyer: Without a competent/pocket healer, the Medium (Vigo). It's more well rounded. With a competent healer, the Heavy (Blud). Still waiting for the release of the Light destroyer line.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.