FORUMS

Bigger Maps + Objective-Based Gameplay

Posted: //
July 26, 2016, 12:06 a.m.

Updated //
July 26, 2016, 12:10 a.m.

So, first thing: Loving the core gameplay. Especially in comparison to Fractured Space, everything feels much more visceral and immediate, and I really feel like I'm actively managing my ship in combat. Really superbly done.

However, as enjoyable as that is, I'm noticing a distinct pattern as I play more and more games: Every match seems to devolve into a game of camping and peek-a-boo around one large central terrain feature. This is a natural and emergent result of the way the ship mechanics work and the need to stick together. Those mechanics are great, though, so rather than change them, let's provide some incentives to stop hiding behind the big rock all match.

Teams are going to need a good reason to leave their hard cover, so some objective-based gameplay would be ideal. For example, in a sort of king-of-the-hill mode, there could be two capture zones flanking some manner of industrial facility or spaceport. Taking both zones (by parking a large ship i.e. destroyer or dreadnought in it) allows allied forces to seize the facility, and it begins generating points for the controlling team. This will encourage teams to move away from playing peek-a-boo from either side of the same rock formation to discover new and interesting rock formations to fight around as they maneuver to control the capture zones.

A simple tug-of-war game mode would work as well: Five capture zones on the map, linked in a linear fashion. Each team starts out holding two zones, with the middle one unclaimed. Teams can only capture a zone if it is linked to a controlled zone - hence tug-of-war, with each side fighting to advance down the line of linked objectives. Team spawns are located close to the end-points of the line, so resistance stiffens as one side is pushed back further.

Finally, throwing down temporary objective zones across the map can also function to move teams away from the one central mountain and into fighting in new areas. A control zone can pop up to indicate, say, a disabled transport to be seized, or a facility made vulnerable. Teams battle to capture it, with the victorious side receiving a one-time points boost or perhaps a reward multiplier in post-game. Normal combat can then resume until another control point spawns. This will, again, help to move the battle around the map rather than keeping it centered in one small area.

Important to the main objective of getting teams mobile and moving to different locations is making it so corvettes can't solo-capture these control zones. After all, if one can just zip a corvette over, there's no need for the dreadnoughts, destroyers and cruisers to leave their turtled position and expose themselves. Only big ships can capture these zones.

The maps may have to be expanded to make this work; or they might already be perfectly capable of hosting this idea. As all the action presently occurs in a very small area I'm not sure what the actual scale of the maps is! I hope these suggestions help the further development of the game. I'm loving the core gameplay, we just need to find a way to expand the fights beyond the central rock formation and use more of these gorgeous maps!

July 26, 2016, 4:43 a.m.

Bigger maps are certainly something I want to do. It's tricky because if a map is too big then certain abilities for dreadnoughts become a hindrance (armor amplifier for example). I have some maps in the works that strike a nice balance by giving players lots of places to go to make the map feel a lot bigger.

We also have more game modes on the way. We're looking at ways to improve TDM and we're talking about other objective modes too. Any and all ideas/feedback are welcome.

Nathan "nwood" Wood
Senior Level Designer, YAGER

July 26, 2016, 4:54 a.m.

DN_nwood#2177 posted (#post-41379)

Bigger maps are certainly something I want to do. It's tricky because if a map is too big then certain abilities for dreadnoughts become a hindrance (armor amplifier for example). I have some maps in the works that strike a nice balance by giving players lots of places to go to make the map feel a lot bigger.

You could solve that the way Star Conflict did by adding warp gates that quickly get a player from one point to another.

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.