FORUMS

Hardmode: Realistic Damage Models

Posted: //
April 14, 2015, 1:25 a.m.

I both hope and pray that, in time, the Dev's get around to creating a more realistic Damage Model System where each ship, with it's unique build, is designed to house different structures of Armor or Importance. For example a Broadside clashing into a bulky Dreadnought with a thick hull on either side won't deal near as much damage as a Broadside hitting it's Engines or Bridge. This would grant each ship an even more unique strategy as each ship is built to a different shape and structure. One ship might have it's engines more exposed than this one. Etc. This would also incorporate a more advanced style of Gameplay as players would learn which areas of their ship took more damage. And how to shift their ship about to better defend against an attack. (For example, a Corvette pops out of Stealth and unloads upon the Starboard side of a Dreadnought. Being the attack is hitting it in the heavily armored side of the ship, the damage is lower than if the Corvette had unleashed it's barrage on the Deck, Bridge, or Aft of the Dreadnought.)

In conjunction with this setup I wish to also voice that along with this idea I hope they introduce an Operational System to pair with the Damage Model. For example a ship with it's Bridge hit would receive longer Cooldown times as the Chain of Command is broken due to the damages sustained to the Officers of the ship. Or Speed and Agility lowered when a critical hit is scored against the Engine Systems. This creates a more logical and strategic method to the game. Players would learn to cope with their weaknesses. Adjust their positioning to enemy fire, and adjust their targeting against certain types of ships. However I would also like to add that this System would vary based one what MODEL ship is the target. Each Corporation having different Hull advantages and System-makeup.

One final note. Yes I understand this would be more strenuous on newer players or the less Tactical-minded. Therefore I petition that this be placed in a "Hardmode" match setting much like many FPS games have. This would let players choose whether they wish to test their minds in the heat of battle or to play with normal gameplay.

"Life is the only thing worth taking, everything else can be bought with credits."

April 14, 2015, 4:29 a.m.

Would you think two kind of "gamestyle" is possible ? Like you have one queue which is "arcade mode", with just a global life/armor pool, and no realistic and precise damage and weakpoints, and a "Realistic mode" where all the damage system is way more advanced.

It would ask for a ton of work, but each kind of player could choose is favourite style, and he can also help new player to advance step by step in the world (first you learn the basics in the Arcade mode, and then learn about damage system in the Realistic mode).

Waiting Carrier.exe to be present in Dreadnought.
Please wait...

April 14, 2015, 6:22 a.m.

please don't doublepost, your other thread allready has a nice discussion going :D
https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/617/

time you enjoy wasting, is no wasted time

April 15, 2015, 2:30 p.m.

Jownsy I posted this here because it seemed more appropriate under the Mode section rather than Shipyard.

And yes Darkloser I know it would require alot of work but it is something I know many players would be interested in. It grants players a new level of strategy. A new way to play. More intense, heart-pounding fun and frustration. Etc

"Life is the only thing worth taking, everything else can be bought with credits."

April 16, 2015, 10:20 a.m.

To snip in here as well, I think Mech Warrior Online did that?
I didn't play it for a long while due to the dev team being a bunch of censored, but I think way back when they planned two modes.
What it failed at while I was still interested was players;
Dreadnought would need enough players to reliably get games of both types up without obnoxious wait, though people who are interested in a more complex damage model will probably be willing to wait a little longer.

We need "Alpha" and "Beta" Camo Patterns! Just plaster the Word all over the ships hull in various sizes and angles !
Link: Artillery Overview

April 23, 2015, 11:29 p.m.

UnLimiTeD#2482 posted (#post-2276)

To snip in here as well, I think Mech Warrior Online did that?
I didn't play it for a long while due to the dev team being a bunch of censored, but I think way back when they planned two modes.
What it failed at while I was still interested was players;
Dreadnought would need enough players to reliably get games of both types up without obnoxious wait, though people who are interested in a more complex damage model will probably be willing to wait a little longer.

Which is another reason why this is a futuristic goal not in high demand right now.

April 24, 2015, 2:36 a.m.

I'd rather they kept things simple. The location damage model exists in Fractured Space, and it's really not a lot of fun (although that can be applied to a lot of FS).

Maybe a later inclusion, but I see no reason whatsoever to mess with a perfectly functional system that's easy to learn for new players.

Exitus acta probat.

April 24, 2015, 6:10 a.m.

Selerox#6711 posted (#post-2478)

I'd rather they kept things simple. The location damage model exists in Fractured Space, and it's really not a lot of fun (although that can be applied to a lot of FS).

Maybe a later inclusion, but I see no reason whatsoever to mess with a perfectly functional system that's easy to learn for new players.

actually in fractured space they didn't do it so well
in dreadnought they can make it a lot better and more realistic than star citizen's

Dreadnought Wikia

April 24, 2015, 8:27 a.m.

Selerox#6711 posted (#post-2478)

You might call me a madman, but that is part of the reason why I like things more complex.
The learning experience, the regular challenge, having more to think about then when to engage and disengage, is part of the thrill.
Too many games are just easy to learn, and after a few days I feel I have understood everything, and move on.

In short, I like complex systems because they take more effort to learn.
No one's asking to implement it now, or even soon, even less to make it mandatory.
It's so players who have taken in and mastered the gameplay can delve into details others might not want to concern themselves with, like Advanced rules in many board- and tabletop-games.
I think everyone agrees that comes after the basics.

We need "Alpha" and "Beta" Camo Patterns! Just plaster the Word all over the ships hull in various sizes and angles !
Link: Artillery Overview

April 26, 2015, 12:19 a.m.

I think there should be critical hit "areas" located on each ship. When those areas receive a hit, that damage would be increased as a critical hit. That would add more aiming and protection of those areas in order to keep yourself from taking increased damage by being struck in those areas. I wouldn't really call for a hard mode as much as integrating the basic idea into the global game mode.

These are not the droids you are looking for.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.