FORUMS

Hardmode: Realistic Damage Models

Posted: //
May 6, 2015, 11:09 p.m.

nwood#2177 posted (#post-2614)

We wouldn't want to implement the system as a separate game mode. We're afraid that it would split the community a bit too much. What we would wind up doing is implement a damage model for the entire game, However sophisticated it might be. What I'm talking about is essentially spots on a ship that do extra or reduced damage when you shoot them (like getting a headshot). Though I really do like the idea about how shooting certain sections can result in a specific temporary outcome. The trick would be communicating that information to the player receiving the damage/debuff.

Personally I don't think it would split the community more than it is for any MMO. You have your Casual's and your Hardcore Players. With this method you would just be catering to those who might find Normal Play far too easy after a time. As for the warning, I envisioned it as a brief flash on your screen in red with sirens and such while a status is inflicted telling you "Engines hit! Critical Failure immanent! Engine output reduced to 50%!" or similar.

"Life is the only thing worth taking, everything else can be bought with credits."

May 23, 2015, 10:41 a.m.

A game mode is obviously something for when there is a large enough audience.
I think once you've communicated that targeting X deals extra damage, having secondary effects comes naturally.

We need "Alpha" and "Beta" Camo Patterns! Just plaster the Word all over the ships hull in various sizes and angles !
Link: Artillery Overview

Sept. 7, 2015, 10:43 p.m.

I am all for hit locations in some measure! If every ship is just a GIANT hit box it takes some of the skill away. As a (now retired) World of Tanks player I really enjoyed having to know where the thin spots in the armor were or how to bow up the magazine inside the enemy's tank, etc. I'd at least like a simple system where I could, for example, come from the top down in my corvette and hit a dreadnought in the nuke silo and reset that cool down or get a great shot with the artillery and shut down the destroyers long range guns for 5 seconds or some such. Especially with big ships it'd be a shame if they were just fatter and easier to hit. Make a calculated shot count!

Sept. 8, 2015, 1:44 a.m.

Updated //
Sept. 8, 2015, 1:51 a.m.

Marraki#3530 posted (#post-6498)

I am all for hit locations in some measure! If every ship is just a GIANT hit box it takes some of the skill away. As a (now retired) World of Tanks player I really enjoyed having to know where the thin spots in the armor were or how to bow up the magazine inside the enemy's tank, etc. I'd at least like a simple system where I could, for example, come from the top down in my corvette and hit a dreadnought in the nuke silo and reset that cool down

dude, just resetting the cooldown by shooting at the nuke-silo?! Sorry, but WTF smile
You as a Corvette have 2 double-gatling-miniguns with a very very high Firerate! So you will easily hit the Silo-.... The recharge takes 95s, that's 1.5 minutes...
This is really not fair, since you can easy-peasy walk up to someone as a Corvette, and simply disable his longest recharge-ability easy-peasy with no problemo....
Corvettes are already pretty strong and have a relatively high/good damage-output, when enabling certain hitbox-areas, you will buff Artillery-Cruisers and Corvettes, but nerf Dreadnoughts and Destroyers.
On bigger ships te vulnerable hitboxes would be bigger and thus, easier to hit.
On smaller ships like the Arty and Corvy, the vulnerable-spots would be by far A LOT smaller and thus, grant the smaller ships longer and better chances surviving, while you make bigger ships easier to take out.
So the effective time-to-kill of a Dreadnought would be drastically lowered, while their Armor/Health does IN NO WAY reflect that "easy-to-take-out-ability". The weapon-damage and Armor is in no way accustomed to that...
Even if the Armor/Health would be 100.000 of the Zmey, I'd still not buy it, since enemies can always focus fire and bring someone down in a short amount of time.

I would only be "okay" with this being added, if it were in a seperated "hard-core-gamemode", but I would most likely not like, in fact maybe even hate it...

Marraki#3530 posted (#post-6498)
Especially with big ships it'd be a shame if they were just fatter and easier to hit. Make a calculated shot count!

I am sorry, but this sounds to me like:
It would be a shame if the disadvantages -big, fat, slow and easy-to-hit and no way to escape most lock-on-nuclear torpedos, missiles, etc.- would be the only disadvantages of big and fast ships. Let's make them even weaker!
So additionally to the fact, that bigger ships are slow and fat, and thus, easy to hit, can't escape lock-on missiles and torpedos and can easily be shot due to the slow moving and big hitbox, you want to riddle them with vulnerable-spots?

Dreadnought - & - Tac. Cruiser

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. -5:40(!spoiler)

Sept. 8, 2015, 2:46 a.m.

Perhaps I came on too strong with a recommendation, so it's been said that was an idea, not a mandate. You're correct, if every single hit completely reset a cool down it would not work well at all. Being able to do more than just shoot at the graphic however is a lot more fun. With different ships there would be different critical locations and smaller weapons may have to deal with doing less damage. If the individual system has 100 HP for example, an artillery piece may do full damage where a corvette may do 1/4 of its weapons damage per hit. Where I'm coming from here is that all of the games I've played where landing your shots matter (World of Tanks, Crimson Skies, MechWarrior) it's added a great element of player skill that's fun to learn and execute.

Sept. 8, 2015, 6:54 a.m.

don't worry you will have me smile

if you say to be the main mode on TE and TDM then NO.It's unfair for a dreadnought player to come and get destroyed in 1 sec because you hit a critical part

With different ships there would be different critical locations and smaller weapons may have to deal with doing less damage

so dreadnought rules?If this happen then the players must hit only critical parts but until they do that they will get destroyed.

If the individual system has 100 HP for example, an artillery piece may do full damage where a corvette may do 1/4 of its weapons damage per hit

summons @Sherogorat .Unbalancing issues

I like the idea as a special mode and by shooting critical parts you won't get destroyed in 1sec like shooting the fuel tank in word of tanks.If you hit some engines then your speed is reduced and doing small damage.In smaller ships will be less critical parts since it's easy to hit them.

Dreadnought Wikia

Sept. 8, 2015, 7:19 a.m.

Updated //
Sept. 8, 2015, 7:21 a.m.

Man, seems like Dreadnoughts can only either totally lose or dominate, same with Corvette...
The DEVs already have this game "balanced" in their own way, and by simply tweaking or changing the damage-system, it will topple over the balance in one way or the other...
I would just say:
Wait until you all played the game, then we can discuss.

Right now, (sorry for that word), we don't know shi*, if this game is hard, hectic, hard to learn, what the skill-curve and what the skill-seiling is, how the meta-game will evolve, all that stuff...
And buy throwing around with such a complicated and somewhat maybe unbalanced crit-hit-damage-system, we achieve not much.
As always:
Put this critical-hit-system in the option for private-custom-matches and it's fine ^^

Dreadnought - & - Tac. Cruiser

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. -5:40(!spoiler)

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.