FORUMS

Playing Dreadnought with a controller

Posted: //
Aug. 5, 2016, 8:44 a.m.

Hello everyone,

I have recently bought a Xbox 360 controller for my PC. I have successfully installed drivers to use the controller and I've managed to play with it in some games through Steam. However, Dreadnought does not allow me to play with a controller - the game does not see it. Even in the game settings I cannot choose the "Cotroller" settings menu. It is just unaccessible.
So I have a question - is this some kind of problem from my PC or the game still has no feature to play it with the controller?
Thanks for atteintion.

Aug. 5, 2016, 12:03 p.m.

Updated //
Aug. 5, 2016, 12:05 p.m.

I also play with a Xbox 360 controller. I've yet to have issues with it. The controls are not remap-able yet but perhaps in time.

On a computer that’s running Windows 8 or later, you can use Devices and Printers to manage the controller. Here's how:

• On the Start screen, click Control Panel.
  • Click View Devices and Printers.
  • Verify that the controller appears under Devices, and then right-click the controller, and click Game controller settings.
  • Check the Status of the controller, and then click Properties.
  • On the Settings tab, click Calibrate.
  • Note You’ll be prompted to use the directional pad (also referred to as the D-pad), but use the left stick instead. If you use the directional pad, the left stick configuration may be incorrect.

• To use the Device Calibration Wizard to configure the axes of your game controller, click Next.

• Leave the left stick centered. Press any button on the controller.
  • Move the left stick to all the corners, and then press any button on the controller.
  • Move the Z axis (use the left and right triggers) all the way up and down, and then press any button on the controller.
  • Move the X rotation (move the right stick) left and right, and then press any button on the controller.
  • Move the Y rotation (move the right stick) all the way up and down, and then press any button on the controller.
  • To save your configuration, click Finish.
  • On the Test tab, test the operation of the controller.

If you're satisfied with the new settings, click OK two times. If you're not satisfied, click Settings, and then click Reset to default. When you click Reset to default, the device controls are reset to the original default settings.

After this the controller should automatically be picked up by the game.

Aug. 6, 2016, 4:40 a.m.

Cybergal2k14#9013 posted (#post-41954)

I also play with a Xbox 360 controller. I've yet to have issues with it. The controls are not remap-able yet but perhaps in time.

On a computer that’s running Windows 8 or later, you can use Devices and Printers to manage the controller. Here's how:

• On the Start screen, click Control Panel.
  • Click View Devices and Printers.
  • Verify that the controller appears under Devices, and then right-click the controller, and click Game controller settings.
  • Check the Status of the controller, and then click Properties.
  • On the Settings tab, click Calibrate.
  • Note You’ll be prompted to use the directional pad (also referred to as the D-pad), but use the left stick instead. If you use the directional pad, the left stick configuration may be incorrect.

• To use the Device Calibration Wizard to configure the axes of your game controller, click Next.

• Move the left stick to all the corners, and then press any button on the controller.
  • Move the Z axis (use the left and right triggers) all the way up and down, and then press any button on the controller.
  • Move the X rotation (move the right stick) left and right, and then press any button on the controller.
  • Move the Y rotation (move the right stick) all the way up and down, and then press any button on the controller.
  • To save your configuration, click Finish.
  • On the Test tab, test the operation of the controller.

If you're satisfied with the new settings, click OK two times. If you're not satisfied, click Settings, and then click Reset to default. When you click Reset to default, the device controls are reset to the original default settings.

After this the controller should automatically be picked up by the game.

Thank you for the advice, I'll try it smile

Aug. 6, 2016, 12:49 p.m.

I use an Xbox 360 controller and got no problems.

Aug. 9, 2016, 2:33 a.m.

The controller option is grayed out in the controls setting. Any guidance?

Aug. 18, 2016, 12:20 p.m.

Alienz225#8820 posted (#post-42136)

The controller option is grayed out in the controls setting. Any guidance?

I'm having the same issue, the Controller tab is greyed out on the Controls options screen.

My controller works in all my other games and indeed is working in Dreadnought because I can partially control my ship with it. I'm not actually trying to remap the buttons but I'd like to be able to look at the default mappings to see what they are. In the tutorial I can't find anything other than moving with left stick, looking round with right stick, opening the energy menu with left shoulder (but how do I select which mode I want?) and the trigger butttons. I can't find any of the other options that K&M get.

Aug. 24, 2016, 10:06 p.m.

I have the same problem. I followed the calibration instructions and everything is working fine with my controller but the option is still greyed out in game.

Aug. 25, 2016, 2:19 a.m.

Wordiu#7089 posted (#post-43091)

I have the same problem. I followed the calibration instructions and everything is working fine with my controller but the option is still greyed out in game.

Yes, the option is greyed out, but you still can use a Controller. You just can't change the configuration. OP's problem was his Controller not even working.

Aug. 25, 2016, 2:32 a.m.

This thread should be stickied as it is very helpful for people setting up their controllers.

9th on August leaderboard.
3rd on September leaderboard.

Solo/duo queuer

June 2, 2017, 1:58 a.m.

My brand new XBOX One controller does not work, or detect. I work in the IT field and actually build custom media centers and gaming machines. I use my controller in EVERY SINGLE OTHER GAME i play, and it works flawlessly. In dreadnought, it does NOT work......at all. The Controller TAB is greyed out as posted above. That's fine if its a bug, but I cannot navigate the menu, none of the buttons work, and the controller is calibrated correctly and as stated above works fine.

Its not my controller. . . . . so how do you use a controller in dreadnought.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.