FORUMS

connections, pauses and other things

Posted: //
April 18, 2015, 9:05 p.m.

so recently i thought about the connection to the game. what happens if you get disconnected from a match? there are a multitude of reasons why that could happen. will we be able to reconnect? if a player leaves a match will an AI/BOT take over that players slot? also, will leaving a match result in some sort of penalty? at least in ranked matches there should be some sort of penatlty-system in place to at least try and prevent people from griefing.

directly relating to that topic, will we be able to pause matches? at least in a competetive match it would be a necessity, since sometimes players need to change settings and/or fix problems etc.

sadly i was not able to watch the livestream, but while watching the VOD, it seemed to me that overall, ships moved faster, not just because people knew how to actually play and were using movement abilities, just in general the pace of the game looked faster to me, maybe i'm just seeing things Oo

while there were quite some even matches being played on the stream, there were also some stomps going on. i'd like to see some options to increase the killcap for tdm and all kinds of different modifiers/stats we can change in private lobbys

it just occured to me, that 30 seconds at the start of a match is a rather short time for a team to organize themselves (relating to public games here), i think it would be beneficial to raise that timer to at least a minute so people can properly communicate on what they wanna play or discuss strategic ideas

a rather personal thing for me - but please for the love of whatever deity you believe in - give me an option to turn of the ribbon-popups.... i just don't like that sort of thing, it just gets in the way of my field of view

how far will we be able to zoom in or out? or will the camera be just at a static distance towards our ships?
the hints on progression and crafting/itemization are really something i am looking forward to, was nice to see some of the other ships in action. keep up the great work! i'm just anxiously waiting for this game :D

time you enjoy wasting, is no wasted time

April 18, 2015, 10:16 p.m.

I'll just go down the line:

At PAX East this year the computer I used actually blue screened in the middle of the game, I restarted and relaunched the game and was able to reconnect to my match. Though it did wipe my k/d but we didn't lose points so that was nice. I don't think any sort of AI takes over if you DC though. There should definitely be some sort of penalty for leaving a game and not returning but they have to be careful with it. Maybe only make it so that you cannot start another game until that one ends and then have a time penalty before starting a new one? Then add some sort of after-game voting kind of like what LoL has?

I highly doubt you will be able to pause matches in multiplayer but maybe in private / custom games which is where tournaments would be held anyways.

I don't think they bumped ship speeds up but since they knew how to play they were correctly using the energy speed increase. Most game-play out there is of novice pilots who are still learning so they don't fully use the energy management system to it's potential.

I would definitely like to see the kill count increased in TDM, it made sense to have it where it is currently for events like PAX where they want to keep games short and people moving through but it always ended when you were really getting into the match. No idea about modifiers/stat changes in private games.

Also agreed on increasing the pre-match timer up from 30 seconds but I think a minute may be too much. Meet halfway at 45 seconds? Adding voice chat would also allow such pre-game tactics to be had.

I kinda like the ribbons but it'd be nice to have a feature to turn them off during a match so you don't get distracted.

So far it seems like the view distance from your ship is static but we'll have to see. On the topic of zooming: I wonder if there will be modules to increase your right click zoom distance.

Dreadnought Reddit - Moderator Dreadnought Discord Server - Admin

April 19, 2015, 4:25 a.m.

Chipinators#8309 posted (#post-2376)

At PAX East this year the computer I used actually blue screened in the middle of the game, I restarted and relaunched the game and was able to reconnect to my match. Though it did wipe my k/d but we didn't lose points so that was nice. I don't think any sort of AI takes over if you DC though. There should definitely be some sort of penalty for leaving a game and not returning but they have to be careful with it. Maybe only make it so that you cannot start another game until that one ends and then have a time penalty before starting a new one? Then add some sort of after-game voting kind of like what LoL has?

I agree with the timer penalty (as long as it is not too long) ,and eventually an harder penalty if it's a ranked game, but I'm strictly against the voting features. They get abused very easily, and if you're unlucky enough to be matched with as****es, you should suffer them during all the match but you also get penalized at the end for just playing with the wrong group.

Waiting Carrier.exe to be present in Dreadnought.
Please wait...

April 19, 2015, 8:25 a.m.

dunno i still like the full 60 seconds prephase, just cause some people don't tend to communicate over voicechat, but dunno i'll take what i can get :D so 45 seconds is good for me, in the end i'll just have to wait and see how much people actually use the prephase to discuss strategies and loadouts, probably not that much once the game goes out of beta, as people normally tend to just go with whatever they like and not what's best for the team :D

it's good that there is a reconnect feature, and i'm fine with the timer penalty for public matches, in ranked matches it depends on what kind of system they use to rank us

yea i thought it might have been because people knew how to use the energy-system properly, it's just a little confusing to see the ships manouver that much faster all of a sudden, when in basicly all the footage out there it was a little slower, i actually don't have any preference regarding the speed of things, again we'll have to wait and see how it feels playing the game

April 19, 2015, 9:57 a.m.

Please keep in mind I have not played this game. All opinions are from out side looking in point of view.

SPEED: Yes is did seem faster paced to me too. NO I do not like it. Capital ships should not be zipping around like fighters. I thought that was one of the main defining differences of this game. You're not in a fighter, your piloting a DREADNOUGHT. And yes I understand there are different ship classes and corvettes should be faster than a Dreadnought. But it just seemed a tad too fast and less tactical than I would have wanted.

DISCONNECTIONS: As Chip has informed us, we can reconnect to our battle. Beyond that, no penalties are really needed except being locked out of another match until your current one is finished.

KILL CAP: On Team Death Match yes, absolutely should be higher.

START OF MATCH: problem would be solved if there was a little more space between the teams. Time to form up or spread out or hide or whatever as your make your way across the battlefield.

POP-UPS: All of that info should be available on end of match screen(s). I agree we should be able to turn off the pop-ups.

Captain Junius Flagg
"BlackFlag"

Death Widows Not all black flags are black

April 19, 2015, 11:37 a.m.

BlackFlag#2289 posted (#post-2382)

Please keep in mind I have not played this game. All opinions are from out side looking in point of view.

SPEED: Yes is did seem faster paced to me too. NO I do not like it. Capital ships should not be zipping around like fighters. I thought that was one of the main defining differences of this game. You're not in a fighter, your piloting a DREADNOUGHT. And yes I understand there are different ship classes and corvettes should be faster than a Dreadnought. But it just seemed a tad too fast and less tactical than I would have wanted.

Yes it seemed faster that what we saw during the PAX event and videos. However remember that during the streams they played only TDM, and in this kind of game mode where you can respawn indefinitely, people have a tendency to be way more aggresive and that somewhat accelerate the pace of the game.
The devs said that in Team Elimination, people played way more carefully and as a result the pace of the game slowed.

I disagree with you on the tactical part, the pace of a game does NOT determine if it's tactical or not. I still think Dreadnought will ask you to think before making any action, but you'll have to think quicker than other games. It's not chess after all. :p

Actually I rather prefer something that goes fast rather than slow. I don't want to be bored for a long time until I finally was able to reach the fight, just to immediatly get blowed and have to do all the way again.

DISCONNECTIONS: As Chip has informed us, we can reconnect to our battle. Beyond that, no penalties are really needed except being locked out of another match until your current one is finished.

You need a penalty, especially when it's about Team games where you have few members. Otherwise people will just constantly quit if something is not like what they wanted, resulting in constant imbalances. It can be even more painfull if you're in ranked.

Waiting Carrier.exe to be present in Dreadnought.
Please wait...

April 19, 2015, 1:11 p.m.

a question i forgot would be, if a player leaves, can someone else get queued into that game to replace that player? after a certain amount of time has passed ofc

April 19, 2015, 4:12 p.m.

jownsy#3157 posted (#post-2387)

a question i forgot would be, if a player leaves, can someone else get queued into that game to replace that player? after a certain amount of time has passed ofc

That's a good question, it really comes down which way they want to take the game. My hope would be that someone could join in and take their place but that would nullify the need to force people to wait for the game to finish if they leave because they wouldn't be able to join back anyways.

April 19, 2015, 7:25 p.m.

i guess there's no way to make everyone happy, i probably prefer the model of having the option to reconnect, and if everything fails have a bot join or just play 4v5, yea that may suck, but i think programming AI for a capital ship might not be an easy task, also it's kinda hard to play around an AI or have it play together with you

April 19, 2015, 7:54 p.m.

I agree, personally I'd pick 4v5 as it'd be easier to win without a bot feeding kills. Plus like you mentioned programming an AI isn't an easy task and I'd rather see them spend their resources somewhere else in the game.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.