FORUMS

I am giving up my hopes

Posted: //
April 21, 2017, 1:01 p.m.

Yeah, I used to really love alpha but I haven't been back after playing a few games with the progression system. What a shame - I completely agree with you Adavanter. I wish they would have gone with the Overwatch model instead of WoT.

Also, I'm mildly amused that after 6 months gone, 20% of the threads on the front page are still "corvettes are OP! / "corvettes aren't that hard to counter if you're good!" Some things never change.

Ceterum censeo anti-nuke lasers delenda est

April 21, 2017, 2:41 p.m.

I don't understand why the word "grind" comes up so much. Each match is a scenario unto itself, it's not like an mmo grind where you have to repeatedly club some computerized wildlife that can barely fight back.

Don't you enjoy playing while leveling up? It's like someone is torturing you with match based combat. I have only played since the tier system, and while it to be a bit different, perhaps even unnecessary, it's not a deal breaker.

I will say this, I come into the game knowing that the publisher has to be monetarily compensated. So I don't begrudge a reasonable scheme for generating revenue. I have had no problem progressing with elite status. Remember, the base game is free. Games like League of legends and mechwarrior keep revenue by constantly adding new playable chars/mechs. After a while it becomes kind of crazy and unseemly. I don't have big answers here, but I don't see big problems either.

I've never felt like I am "grinding".

April 21, 2017, 7:33 p.m.

I love what the game was. When 2.0 hit and everyone hated it, I was sure they'd say oops and roll it back. They didn't.

Someone above said "hollow victories and undeserved losses." Pretty much that. And other significant problems that go to the core of the game. Gameplay customization was watered down. Visual customization got gutted. Balance is forever screwed.

When they doubled down on 2.0 the faith that I had evaporated. They keep saying "stay tuned!" but 6 months later there's still no roadmap.

I think the game is salvageable, but based on their behavior around 2.0 it's not hopeful. I was super into this game, $90 paid in, and they lost me.

April 22, 2017, 10:46 a.m.

I hear you, even if I haven't had the same experience. My thought is that the game is pretty awesome now so it must have been really amazing before.

But about "hollow victories" I have to disagree. I find matches to show very strong causality between team cohesion and winning chances. I can usually trace distinct decisions I make during a match to the end results and my final score.

April 22, 2017, 10:50 a.m.

I just posted this in another thread focused on tiers... I'll copy it here to sum it up.

Like I said... I still firmly stand that a T2 has no business in a T4 battle. Honestly I can point to certain T3s that are at an incredible disadvantage to some T4s. So it's not even debate when it comes to T2s.

Sure everyone can get lucky or stumble across some inept higher tiers... but that's not the case for everyone. Sometimes you're constantly matched against players who know what they are doing. Their advantages seal the deal. You literally do not stand a chance.

I know they want people to be able to see what they are working towards... but it doesn't have to be so completely one sided. All it takes to see the balance go out the window is one skilled captain behind a higher tier. So if T3 already has an uphill battle/sometimes insurmountable... T2 never stood a chance. Ever.

If you must know the example I'll give of a T3 versus T4 that's not even on the same scale? Akula Artillery. My Specialty... Yeah a fully loaded T3 versus a fully loaded T4... doesn't stand a chance. No amount of bobbing or skill can compensate when fighting an equally skilled T4. He's got desperate measures, more health, more damage, better modules and cool downs... and can almost constantly side dash. The T3 can... go up and down...

This is pretty basic stuff... I don't know why this is difficult for some folks to see. It's not like I occasionally run into this stuff. I'm getting it almost half the time.

This is what some of us are referring to as the grind/torture you must endure while a T3. Just so you can have equal footing with the best... and an advantage over the lower tiers.

April 22, 2017, 9:14 p.m.

Why are we discussing a 1v1 scenario between two ships of a different tier? This is a team game, if the other team has a T4 sniper and you don't, it means that you have a T4 "something else" that they don't. Obviously there will always be more valuable game pieces, but they all have their foils.

Nobody expects you to beat a higher tier ship by yourself, that's why you have a team!

April 22, 2017, 9:18 p.m.

Game finds match. Shows loading screen and then sends me back to menu. Can anyone help?

April 22, 2017, 9:22 p.m.

Arborean#1670 posted (#post-117614)

I hear you, even if I haven't had the same experience. My thought is that the game is pretty awesome now so it must have been really amazing before.

But about "hollow victories" I have to disagree. I find matches to show very strong causality between team cohesion and winning chances. I can usually trace distinct decisions I make during a match to the end results and my final score.

There are matchups between T4 ships and T2-3 where it feels like I steamroll the enemy with my better stats. In a T4 vette, almost any T2 ship is free points. Playing a T4 dread definitely feels better than a T3 because of stats, but armor pulse also makes a big difference. Certain T4 modules are so good.

With love, I get into a match and see T2 ships as points waiting to be harvested. It was fun when I first got my T4, but it got old fast. I win 1v1 fights in my vette and I know it's not because I was a better pilot. It was because of my stats. Sometimes it's because of module choice, and that's a legitimate win. But so many module choices are locked to T4 and absurd time investment. So it wasn't really my creativity or skill that won, but more like my having played the game 20 more hours than the other guy.

For me, that kind of win is hollow. I want to win because I am better. And if I lose I want it to be because the other player outplayed me.

April 22, 2017, 10:42 p.m.

Ok, point taken. What do you suggest instead? And why do you think the current system is the way it is?

April 22, 2017, 11:34 p.m.

Wow I just looked at t3 ships. I have 2000 xp and it takes 20000! How long does that take to grind? Is this like the For Honor system where it would take someone like 900 hours and $749.00 for all the unlocks? I like the game just don't know how many can hang in that long to unlock the ships they want.

(for honor)
This means you have to play for 77 days to grind enough Steel to unlock all the aesthetic items for just one hero. As bystander007 calculates, you'd need 915 days, or two-and-a-half years to get all the unlocks for all the characters. God knows what state the world - let alone Ubisoft's servers - will be in by then.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.