FORUMS

I am giving up my hopes

Posted: //
April 23, 2017, 1:26 a.m.

Updated //
April 23, 2017, 1:33 a.m.

Meeturmaker#4066 posted (#post-117692)

Wow I just looked at t3 ships. I have 2000 xp and it takes 20000! How long does that take to grind? Is this like the For Honor system where it would take someone like 900 hours and $749.00 for all the unlocks? I like the game just don't know how many can hang in that long to unlock the ships they want.

I can give you a preview. I've been playing part time (hold down a full time job with wife and kids). I started about mid January, shortly after the last wipe. This means I was constantly against very experienced pilots who were working to regain their favorite ships. In the beginning I was rarely higher than 7th.

I started with a Founders pack ( Hero ships, 3000 gold, elite status for 30 days and I think some silver). Since I am new to gaming, my reflexes were non-existent (little better now). I worked my way through what was 3 tier 1 ships, bought all the tier 2 ships and all available modules. With tier 3, I played those ships that I favored and passively leveled the rest. I did not buy all the available modules, just the ones that seems worth it to me.

I've gotten 9 tier 4 ships and could get the rest if I wanted. I play Onslaought exclusively ( so I can score some points against usually superior pilots). I've got 588 matches in and spent almost 87 hours in matches (probably almost that waiting for matches).

I've maintained Elite status since joining, bought in 30 day increments. I've bought enough GB to buy Elite and to buy 300,000 silver. I don't know the actual cost, but it is probably around 70 - 80 dollars with the Founders pack included.

The road ahead is long and somewhat arduous. New tier 4 ships are like leveled up tier 3 ships with some more hit points and a somewhat higher damage rating. Feels about the same. Module costs are about 3x what they were for tier 3.

Personally, I have no interest in tier 5 ships. I'm balking at the costs to level up my tier 4s, to be able to score top 4 regularly.

The game play is engaging and challenging, but I struggle with the feeling of being fleeced by the maintenance costs at tier 4. MM frequently puts me on the team that is down 2 or more tier 4 ships, and I suffered with being put in Veterans matches with a recruit fleet for about half of the games I played as recruit. That said, I've only been on the winning side about half as often as the losing side. Not encouraging as I look ahead.

That said, If you have lots of gaming experience, you should do relatively well. I had two grown sons that started with me and they were fairly successful. They became disenchanted far sooner than I, and play games now that are more fun for them. Many others have chosen similarly.

April 23, 2017, 2:28 a.m.

Wow I just looked at t3 ships. I have 2000 xp and it takes 20000! How long does that take to grind? Is this like the For Honor system where it would take someone like 900 hours and $749.00 for all the unlocks? I like the game just don't know how many can hang in that long to unlock the ships they want.

(for honor)
This means you have to play for 77 days to grind enough Steel to unlock all the aesthetic items for just one hero. As bystander007 calculates, you'd need 915 days, or two-and-a-half years to get all the unlocks for all the characters. God knows what state the world - let alone Ubisoft's servers - will be in by then.

I just checked my stats. Have clocked just under 10hrs of game play and I have unlocked all the tech tree required to purchase a tier 4 destroyer. I need 65k XP to research it.

April 23, 2017, 5:42 a.m.

Infinite grind is a required prerequisite of this genre. When the grind stops, everyone is leaving, so it's completely ok.

April 23, 2017, 5:43 a.m.

-Bazza-#5140 posted (#post-117700)

(for honor)
This means you have to play for 77 days to grind enough Steel to unlock all the aesthetic items for just one hero. As bystander007 calculates, you'd need 915 days, or two-and-a-half years to get all the unlocks for all the characters. God knows what state the world - let alone Ubisoft's servers - will be in by then.

I just checked my stats. Have clocked just under 10hrs of game play and I have unlocked all the tech tree required to purchase a tier 4 destroyer. I need 65k XP to research it.

And 100,000 Credits to buy it smile

-----Tier 5 Ohkta Pilot-----Tier 5 Invictus Pilot-----Tier 5 Athos Pilot-----
-------------------------Fully Researched Tier 4 Fleet------------------------
-------------------What the @#$% are you talking about?----------------

April 23, 2017, 6:17 a.m.

I'll get the credits before the XP. So it's no problem.

April 23, 2017, 10:04 a.m.

Thanks all for your replies!

April 23, 2017, 10:24 a.m.

Updated //
April 23, 2017, 10:24 a.m.

Arborean#1670 posted (#post-117678)

This is a team game, if the other team has a T4 sniper and you don't, it means that you have a T4 "something else" that they don't. Obviously there will always be more valuable game pieces, but they all have their foils.

Nobody expects you to beat a higher tier ship by yourself, that's why you have a team!
As much as we'd all love for that to be true it's not remotely the case. Just yesterday I had a game of 7 T4s on the enemy team against our... ONE. We actually had a T2 as well. Now I admit... even I was shocked MM had gotten it THAT wrong. It's never normally that bad. That has to be the worst mismatch I've ever seen. So don't think I'm trying to imply it's always that bad. It's typically more of only 2 or 3 more than we have. Or one side just has to many T2s.

Like I said before... about half the games are mismatches with tiers stacked to one side. The outcome is typically predictable.

April 23, 2017, 10:26 a.m.

Updated //
April 23, 2017, 10:30 a.m.

Arborean#1670 posted (#post-117678)

Why are we discussing a 1v1 scenario between two ships of a different tier? This is a team game, if the other team has a T4 sniper and you don't, it means that you have a T4 "something else" that they don't. Obviously there will always be more valuable game pieces, but they all have their foils.

Nobody expects you to beat a higher tier ship by yourself, that's why you have a team!

As much as we'd all love for that to be true it's not remotely the case. Just yesterday I had a game of 7 T4s on the enemy team against our... ONE. We actually had a T2 as well. Now I admit... even I was shocked MM had gotten it THAT wrong. It's never normally that bad. That has to be the worst mismatch I've ever seen. So don't think I'm trying to imply it's always that bad. It's typically more of only 2 or 3 more than we have. Or one side just has to many T2s.

Like I said before... about half the games are mismatches with tiers stacked to one side. The outcome is typically predictable.

Just to be extra clear... by design they do expect you to take on higher tiers. Even says so before the match making. If your such and such skill you may be teamed against a higher tier. While I appreciate they think I'm that good... constantly fighting tilted matches is exhausting and demoralizing. Especially when you know they only won because of their tier.

April 23, 2017, 12:49 p.m.

MaxHoro#2243 posted (#post-117711)

Infinite grind is a required prerequisite of this genre. When the grind stops, everyone is leaving, so it's completely ok.

Considering the grind at tier 4, and the probable grind at tier 5 (personally, I won't see it, don't care), I'm not surprised that people leave. If Elite status were enough to completely counter maintenance, I could understand people sticking around. It's not though, so maintenance frequently becomes the straw that breaks the camel's back. I'm trying to figure out how to stay, now that I should leave tier 3 behind, and move to tier 4.

April 23, 2017, 1:11 p.m.

Updated //
April 23, 2017, 1:13 p.m.

holy cp, I've been trying to grind for two days now and still not there. I guess this game is not for the casual player at all? My wifes getting *** lol. People would buy the game if you would just sell it. Get rid of the grind, or make things cosmetic and have that be the main focus. I played this when it first came out and its not as fun now. Right now there is too much of a grind and it's become a chore, and no longer fun. Not enough carrot and to much stick!

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.