FORUMS

stop all future development until MM is fix

Posted: //
May 8, 2017, 8:54 a.m.

After several hours of gameplay, match making seems all balance for me except for one thing: best team composition. One can't argue that inexperienced players tend to fight alone, separating from their own group and dying instantly while newbies tend to suicide when using dreadnoughts and destroyers. But in a match full of skilled players especially on some veteran matches where score is close(especially deathmatch mode where one team is just few points ahead from the other). Given that two or three corvette users are experienced, I conclude that five corvettes and five artillery cruisers is the best team composition for winning. Instantly pulling the score ahead from the other team, and now the question is why? Well, the answer is that corvettes tend to flock on ships that is out of position, forcing artillery and tactical cruisers to flock together. Even if dreadnoughts suppose to give cover or destroyers exhausting out their missile modules, corvettes just run away (a skilled corvette user can dodge missile lock through blink or avoid heavy fire through thrusters). Now that the other team is sticking together because of the corvettes, artillery cruisers can do their job by mopping out the map easily using their primary artillery modules (which have a high splash damage around the target). Ramping the score on their favor and thereby winning the match. Now my point is, if games are easily won this way then what's the point of having different ship variations given that other team can stomp a match using only two class of ships. Therefore, I think that corvettes are a bit overpowered in a way(is there a way to fight a ship that can outrun missiles and dodge concentrated fires?). Only tactical ships have that accurate beam weapon(even by its low damage, still the best weapon against corvettes given their low hp) but still not the counter (given the tactical cruisers fragility). Or fight a corvette using another corvette (fighter ship vs fighter ship, aka air supremacy). The developers should tweak the overall gameplay alittle but not in a way to alter the balance too much, maybe buff the mine modules to put an emphasis on it. People just fight and heal with their ships, not putting much importance on the destructive mines. It is also one way to balance the corvettes dominance without changing the overall role/concept of the ship.TL/DR! That's all smile Thanks for reading.

May 8, 2017, 12:06 p.m.

seriously, there is no penalty for recruits who leave veteran match... you don't have to play it if you see your team has 3 recruits while other team has, lets say, +5 tiers...

basicaly it's not fault of MM but players who stay in and start battle instead of checking balance and leaving if it's off

May 8, 2017, 12:39 p.m.

i found a way around the MM problem. Slot a single tier 1 ship in your Recruit fleet. As long as the tier 1 ship is slotted the game will only match you with Recruit matches regardless of whether the tier 1 ship is played or not.

May 8, 2017, 2:14 p.m.

HellFire401#9582 posted (#post-119760)

i found a way around the MM problem. Slot a single tier 1 ship in your Recruit fleet. As long as the tier 1 ship is slotted the game will only match you with Recruit matches regardless of whether the tier 1 ship is played or not.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you just advocate exploiting the game so that you get to stomp some inexperienced players? I hope you are sarcastically pointing out an exploit and not actually doing it. Beating new players sounds pretty boring to me.

Anyhow, Kathleen, I think that your proposed 5 sniper 5 corvette setup is interesting but unproven. First of all, there are only 8 ships on a team so it would have to be 4/4, not 5/5 :p. But I've never seen a team do this, so I can't speak to it's practical effectiveness. Once you prove your assertion, you can discuss a way to fix the problem, but as of right now it's completely hypothetical. Personally, I think you are ignoring the effectiveness of cover and tactical cruisers to break up the corv/art paradigm.

May 8, 2017, 3:04 p.m.

the power difference in the teirs are frustrating ... yes a good player can score with a low tier ship too, but for beginners it is a good reason to quit the game shortly after joining up. in my opinion there should be a seperate fleet for t1-2, t2-3, t3-4 and t4-5 with no posibillity to set other tiers in those fleets.
giving acess to more modules and offices briefings early on would help too.
but the main problem is the number of players. no MM can work well with a small player base. Try to encourage more people to join and stay would solve a lot. the vanguard bundle is a nice touch. give something like this for free or introduce more bundles in that price level could help.

May 8, 2017, 3:19 p.m.

To me, the tier system is a bit of a headscratcher. What separates players should be skill, not stronger ships. Any unlockables should be easily overpowered by an experienced player. There's no point in penning off player groups in artificial brackets. Just let the matchmaking select people of comparable experience.

That being said, the game seems largely balanced to me - with the exception of the aforementioned by Seolis - mixing of tier2s with Tier4s. That seems just cruel.

May 8, 2017, 5:36 p.m.

@Arborean

I guess you are wrong, since pulling recruits to veteran match happens to all players, newbies included. Sticking tier 1 ship to recruit fleet is a valid way to evade veteran matches with recruit fleet (note that you CAN NOT stick tier 1 ship to veteran fleet). There is plenty of reasons for not mixing tier 2s to veteran games, for example they might be newbies, they want to avoid imbalance, they need credits for purchase/maintenence etc.

Also, there is no way MM could measure player skill other than statwise... and stats are easy to fake

May 8, 2017, 7:49 p.m.

Updated //
May 8, 2017, 7:50 p.m.

MCY Kedo#9579 posted (#post-119791)

@Arborean

I guess you are wrong, since pulling recruits to veteran match happens to all players, newbies included. Sticking tier 1 ship to recruit fleet is a valid way to evade veteran matches with recruit fleet (note that you CAN NOT stick tier 1 ship to veteran fleet). There is plenty of reasons for not mixing tier 2s to veteran games, for example they might be newbies, they want to avoid imbalance, they need credits for purchase/maintenence etc.

Unclear syntax, what am I wrong about?

May 8, 2017, 11:13 p.m.

Arborean#1670 posted (#post-119764)
Anyhow, Kathleen, I think that your proposed 5 sniper 5 corvette setup is interesting but unproven. First of all, there are only 8 ships on a team so it would have to be 4/4, not 5/5 :p. But I've never seen a team do this, so I can't speak to it's practical effectiveness. Once you prove your assertion, you can discuss a way to fix the problem, but as of right now it's completely hypothetical. Personally, I think you are ignoring the effectiveness of cover and tactical cruisers to break up the corv/art paradigm.

My bad for adding the extra number of players. I didn't really count the number of players on my matches so it does stick on my mind that is a 10 vs 10 game lol smile Well, back to topic. Yes, I have been on that close matches on veteran tier so far, although I can't call my self a skilled player yet (maybe an experienced one, 7.0 average kills using my favorite ship or 2.0 average kills using tactical cruisers but with highest or the second one in points) I have come up to that conclusion basing on my experiences. While saying that four corvettes and four artillery seems unethical on the early stages of the game, it does have a big impact on the middle matches if one team want to ramp up the score easily. The primary use of corvettes is to contain the ships on a packet, thereby containing the opposing side's movement while artillery cruisers can easily pick out ships from afar. Yes, ships can hide and find cover but they can't do so for long. They will shoot of course and do some counter fire, and that is the time that the primary modules of artillery cruisers come to use(high splash damage on the surrounding ship around the target is a pain in the azz, especially if you are using tactical cruisers smile been there and experienced that). Once the other team is stuck on one place, it becomes an easy job to pick them out one by one, or in other case surrounding the said packet of ships. A disorganize team can't easily win on deathmatch, given that one randomly respawns on a different location. That's the reason why if one team is on a good position already, the other one have a hard time to comeback and make the game close (100-70/60 in veteran matches so far, 100-30/20 in recruit matches). The underlying problem is the overall effectiveness of corvettes on said matches, a team compose of half corvettes can tip the balance on their favor. That's why I suggested to tweak the game a little or buff the mines to balance the dominance of corvettes without diminishing their effectiveness/role(I do like the concept of corvettes as a maneuverable attack ship). My assumptions is based on what I observe on the game so far, although I can't say my info is wholly correct, I do am aware of the balance issues about the game at the moment and I am just shedding light on it. So hurray! and cheers for us all. smile

May 9, 2017, 7:29 a.m.

Arborean#1670 posted (#post-119805)

Unclear syntax, what am I wrong about?

this:

Arborean#1670 posted (#post-119764)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you just advocate exploiting the game so that you get to stomp some inexperienced players? I hope you are sarcastically pointing out an exploit and not actually doing it.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.