FORUMS

Upgrade Hero ships?

Posted: //
Dec. 11, 2018, 4:27 a.m.

SAD-Reclaimer#0656 posted (#post-234157) said:

Ridiculon#3900 posted (#post-234152) said:

Ah, but again that is not the only thing a hero ship gives you. Also, you can have both. Why wouldn't you stack them?

Also also, as a one time purchase its a smaller investment, which appeals to some people.

It's simply a matter of cost-benefit-ratio.

A hero ship nets you +10% XP which you can't transfer to ships you acually want to progress. You can convert the XP to freeXP, though, but at a horrendous exchange rate of 1GP per 40 XP. The same +10% bonus applies to freeXP but with an average gain of around 500 freeXP per match (with a hero ship being in your fleet but not being used) that bonus only amounts to 50 freeXP per match which is miniscule and as such forgettable.

There is one instance in which a hero ship has a noticeable effect on freeXP gains, though, and that is when you actively play one. Then your freeXP gains increase significantly (the same goes for normal XP gains but with the conversion requirement I'm going to ignore that). But then again, most of the hero ships have subpar modules and/or officer briefings or just modules/OB's that don't fit your playstyle so playing them becomes a chore more often than not.

The Elite Status on the over hand nets you +100% so it literally doubles your XP gains which is 10 times the bonus of a hero ship. But the real obstacle to obtaining a hero ship is the price tag. 3000 GP (for a T4) which equals roughly 25 € is a lot of money for just a +10% bonus to XP which you have no use for unless you spend even more money.

I don't have the exact number but let's assume 3000 GP will grant you 180 days of elite status. That means you would have to play 1.800 days (roughly 5 years!) in your hero ship exclusively just to get the same amount of bonus XP as the benefit of Elite Status exceeds the benefit of a single hero ship tenfold. And again, you would have to spend even more money to convert that XP.

So while it is technically correct that hero ships grant you benefits to XP and freeXP gains in practice that's just not worth your money.

Although the last bit is all down to whether the individual believes it is worth it, I commend you on a very balanced assessment (IMO lol).

Dec. 11, 2018, 8:28 a.m.

Updated //
Dec. 11, 2018, 8:30 a.m.

@ WaveRider:

Thanks a lot, I highly appreciate it !

All hands: battle stations! This is not a drill.

[SAD] - Search And Destroy!

https://sad-clan.pro

Bild

Dec. 11, 2018, 3:47 p.m.

Your calculations of the per match benefits are correct, but you once again left out the cosmetics that come with the purchase, so your overall GP comparison is wildly incorrect. No matter how much elite time you buy its never going to get you a single piece of cosmetic gear.

I'm not saying that hero ships are more efficient for grinding than elite time, just that the comparison is not that simple.

Also, the fact that a cosmetic bundle holds its value after you have completed the grind should be taken into account (per match bonus xp/credits dont matter once you've researched and bought everything).

Dec. 12, 2018, 10:42 a.m.

Updated //
Dec. 14, 2018, 4:55 a.m.

Ridiculon#3900 posted (#post-234161) said:

Your calculations of the per match benefits are correct, but you once again left out the cosmetics that come with the purchase, so your overall GP comparison is wildly incorrect. No matter how much elite time you buy its never going to get you a single piece of cosmetic gear.

I'm not saying that hero ships are more efficient for grinding than elite time, just that the comparison is not that simple.

Also, the fact that a cosmetic bundle holds its value after you have completed the grind should be taken into account (per match bonus xp/credits dont matter once you've researched and bought everything).

Obviously the point of my post was to take a detailed look on the tangible benefits a hero ship offers which are the bonuses to XP and freeXP gains.

Of course there are also the vanity items such as the coatings, decals, emblems and the retrofit parts. But I already made a post about that two days ago which reads as follows:

Like many others I bought my hero ship solely for the cosmetics. I would have spent more money on more hero ships but the steep price tags keep me from doing so. To me scrapping the whole hero ship concept and offering the cosmetics separately at a reasonable price would be the much more lucrative option. Just saying...

The points I'm trying to make are:

• the concept of hero ships sucks as a whole (XP not transferable, loadouts being locked) and
  • 3000 GP is too high a price tag regardless of whether you're in for the bonuses or the vanity items or both (I know that lower tier hero ships are cheaper but that doesn't make the T4 price tag any less annoying).

All hands: battle stations! This is not a drill.

[SAD] - Search And Destroy!

https://sad-clan.pro

Bild

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.