FORUMS

Community Hot Topics #6

Posted: //
May 12, 2017, 12:50 p.m.

We sat down with Game Director Peter Holzapfel, Lead Game Designer Torkel Forner, Lead Narrative Designer Báirbre Bent, and Lead Level Designer Dan Banefelt to get some insight on what’s coming next for Dreadnought and how the team is taking larger steps to implement feedback moving forward!

1. What sort of PvE or story mode content can we expect out of Dreadnought, I want to know more about the universe?

Peter: From the early start of Dreadnought, we thought about the universe. In terms of gameplay, we had and still have a focus on the PvP game though, since we want to create a stable and fun core before we expand on the PvE side.

Behind the scenes we are already experimenting with a PvE and narrative based format that works with a live game.

Since we are all big fans of TV shows, this is a direction we would like to explore further. Until then, we want to give our community more information on the story background of the universe and bring that more into our PvP game environment.

Báirbre: I’m very excited about the Dreadnought universe and am really enjoying developing it together with artists, level designers, audio and game design and everyone on the team.

There are so many open questions for the community - What happened to bring us to a state where we have giant battleships fighting in space? Who’s Bix? and the big one - who were the Transhumans?

All these questions have answers and you can see hints to answers being rolled out more and more through our map, ships, intro movie and tutorial. We aim to deliver another insight in the story with every new piece of content.

With new game modes like Onslaught, we go a little deeper than PVP. And with the PVE we’ve been developing we’ll go even further.

Dan: What we’re toying with right now is a system that groups PVE based events into larger seasons. Each season comes with its own story and narrative arc that fleshes out current events, the history of the Dreadnought universe, and both new and familiar locations.

We’re aiming to make it easily approachable for the people interested in the story or casual fun, while also providing a (very) hardcore and competitive challenge for those who are interested. ☺

2. There are a lot of bugs and requests we have for the game that take a long time to get in, what are you doing to quicken this process?

Peter: We are aware that our reaction time wasn’t as fast as we would have liked it to be.

This was mainly caused by the extensive systems we implemented into the game that caused a lot of effort and made it hard to straighten out all the things that have been less than ideal in the live game.

I want to thank players for their patience again. We are incredibly grateful for your loyalty and the amount of time you dedicate to our game.

So what are we doing to change this in the future and get better at it? We are already focusing heavily on bugfixing in our current development cycle and the patch notes for the next updates should show this clearly.

On top of that, we are setting up a live quality team that has the clear goal to focus on existing features that are out there with our players and to have shorter reaction times.

We love the game as much as you do, so let us know if it works!

3. Are Squad Sizes always going to be 3? I want to play with my friends!

Torkel: It’s something that we’re talking about right now, as we also feel that 3 is perhaps a bit too restrictive. When we went from 5 players on a team to 8, we felt that we needed to reduce the squad size as one squad of 5 would be too dominant (it sometimes felt as if it was back then too).

Right now, we’re talking about raising the squad size to 4 so that two squads can effectively form a team.

4. There's been a few balance changes, mostly to Tactical Cruisers, in recent patches. What about Corvettes/Dola/other balance changes? What can we expect in the future in terms of balance changes, and what things is the balance team considering?

Torkel: There are several things we’re currently looking at – both the Dola and Corvettes as a whole are really high up on that list. We feel that some of the things we want to fix will require a fair few changes across the game. Corvettes are a good example of one of these, where we are currently looking at how to best proceed with assisted targeting, shields, modules, etc.

Some other things we’re looking at and will hopefully improve in the near future are all deployable modules (mines, repair pods, turrets), how some modules become less viable as the tiers get higher (e.g. Armor Amps having shorter durations at higher tiers) and shields for all classes.

As for individual ships, we try to continuously look at data and listen to all feedback to figure out what changes we feel are necessary when it comes to weapons, ship movement and health. As mentioned earlier, we’re working on finding the best ways of being able to get these sorts of changes into the game more frequently.

Sean McIntosh
Dreadnought Community Manager

May 16, 2017, 4:03 p.m.

When are maintenance costs going to be addressed?

When tiered matchmaking came out the complaint was a flat rate of 600 credits per loss was too much. You then promised to lower this cost by scaling maintenance costs to ship tiers in our fleets. However, this "fix" to lower costs actually significantly increased maintenance costs above the flat 600 credit rate in almost all cases. Apart from fixing the "bug" that would weight the first ship in the fleet more heavily than the rest, which we used to actually lower maintenance costs like the scaling was supposed to do, the devs have been dodging any further questions about maintenance.

The silence is telling. Please confirm if the maintenance scaling is bugged and is supposed to be scaled down from 600 credits max instead of up from 600 credits as was promised in December here:
https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/news/update-14-sands-mars/

Failure to address my questions will confirm what I already suspect: maintenance was never meant to be lowered. The silence on the matter is because the devs don't want to say they're hoping we'll forget about their overt cash grab. I will go ahead and uninstall dreadnought if the devs don't address maintenance.

May 17, 2017, 3:32 p.m.

Updated //
May 17, 2017, 3:32 p.m.

LTEDan#8730 posted (#post-120574)

When are maintenance costs going to be addressed?

When tiered matchmaking came out the complaint was a flat rate of 600 credits per loss was too much. You then promised to lower this cost by scaling maintenance costs to ship tiers in our fleets. However, this "fix" to lower costs actually significantly increased maintenance costs above the flat 600 credit rate in almost all cases. Apart from fixing the "bug" that would weight the first ship in the fleet more heavily than the rest, which we used to actually lower maintenance costs like the scaling was supposed to do, the devs have been dodging any further questions about maintenance.

The silence is telling. Please confirm if the maintenance scaling is bugged and is supposed to be scaled down from 600 credits max instead of up from 600 credits as was promised in December here:
https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/news/update-14-sands-mars/

Failure to address my questions will confirm what I already suspect: maintenance was never meant to be lowered. The silence on the matter is because the devs don't want to say they're hoping we'll forget about their overt cash grab. I will go ahead and uninstall dreadnought if the devs don't address maintenance.
Watches a tumbleweed go by The maintenance above the first fleet and the corvets in the first selection drive drove all my friends including me away. We had tried out the game shortly after the maintenance was discovered in the vet fleet. Coupled with how in tier 3 you really are nothing but cannon fodder to tier 4's and my t3 sniper apparently being broken (was suppost to fire 2 shots at once I hear, not 1) it.... yeah.
I pop in on the forms to see if the issues are resolved and so far sounds like ones completely unaddressed, anothers gotten worse, and nothing thus far on the third that I've seen. Seen no reason at all to start playing again or to try and bring my friends back in. The week we played started off as fun... but very quickly grew to frustration.

May 17, 2017, 3:34 p.m.

Watches a tumbleweed go by

The maintenance above the first fleet and the corvets in the first selection drive drove all my friends including me away. We had tried out the game shortly after the maintenance was discovered in the vet fleet. Coupled with how in tier 3 you really are nothing but cannon fodder to tier 4's and my t3 sniper apparently being broken (was suppost to fire 2 shots at once I hear, not 1) it.... yeah.
I pop in on the forms to see if the issues are resolved and so far sounds like ones completely unaddressed, anothers gotten worse, and nothing thus far on the third that I've seen. Seen no reason at all to start playing again or to try and bring my friends back in. The week we played started off as fun... but very quickly grew to frustration.

May 20, 2017, 12:44 a.m.

Littlelostship#0891 posted (#post-120666)

The maintenance above the first fleet and the corvets in the first selection drive drove all my friends including me away. We had tried out the game shortly after the maintenance was discovered in the vet fleet. Coupled with how in tier 3 you really are nothing but cannon fodder to tier 4's and my t3 sniper apparently being broken (was suppost to fire 2 shots at once I hear, not 1) it.... yeah.

The ballista and all its variants downwards seem to be broken now or this is intended... i came to this thread actualy because of a post talking about how the ballista is outclassed and the devs are aware of it but i see nothing on in the Op. This ship as it stands is... worthless... especially around T3 and T4 ships who can kill you by just thought. See the deal is it fires two rounds, but.. since it doesn't it's DPS right now is halved over that. it moves so slow that after you die and respawn a corvette can just come over and attack you again no issue.... i even had a corvette not kill me cause he felt bad over it. its a joke of a ship right now and its not the only one.. the balance in the game even for ship to ship in the same tier is bad, tbh it feels like the whole tier system was just a slapped together thing they did with 2.0... all the new ships are just the same ones with diffrent attachments probably originally planned for for payed cosmetics But noooo... had to do tiers right? had to make the game what the opposite of what it was like originally right? i just makes me disappointed really... sorry for the rant.

May 21, 2017, 8:26 p.m.

Ropefish#6178 posted (#post-121026)

Littlelostship#0891 posted (#post-120666)

The ballista and all its variants downwards seem to be broken now or this is intended... i came to this thread actualy because of a post talking about how the ballista is outclassed and the devs are aware of it but i see nothing on in the Op. This ship as it stands is... worthless... especially around T3 and T4 ships who can kill you by just thought. See the deal is it fires two rounds, but.. since it doesn't it's DPS right now is halved over that. it moves so slow that after you die and respawn a corvette can just come over and attack you again no issue.... i even had a corvette not kill me cause he felt bad over it. its a joke of a ship right now and its not the only one.. the balance in the game even for ship to ship in the same tier is bad, tbh it feels like the whole tier system was just a slapped together thing they did with 2.0... all the new ships are just the same ones with diffrent attachments probably originally planned for for payed cosmetics But noooo... had to do tiers right? had to make the game what the opposite of what it was like originally right? i just makes me disappointed really... sorry for the rant.

Wait, something as BASIC as a weapon firing 2 projectiles instead of 1 has not been touched, but they have the time to make the maintenance system worse? I mean the ballista fire power is easily fixed with a simple edit to its damage line and double the number. But they have time for whole new maps? Time for all this https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/news/pc-game-update-160-new-horizons/ but can't be arsed to fix a grossly under-powered ship?

I dunnu about the devs (guess they think disappointment is fun) but playing a ship class I just don't like (destroyers) enough times to get to a ship class I do like, only to find out I'm gimped, slow, and if looked at wrong falls apart despite having supposed armor.... its a sure fire way to decrease ones motivation to keep playing and wanting to show friends the game and encourage others to come back/join and play.
I don't know about anyone else, but if I spend time and effort to get to a goal, I like the goal to PAY OFF. You know, feel like its decent, ability to have fun with. Not to go to the goal and..... find out your just slow fodder for your team cause your gun, you know the GUN that makes the class of ship you are worth anything, your guns bugged. But not others who look at you and your reactor pops in a single shot at times.

I'm am so glad I never had to pay a dime for this, I feel bad for my friend who bought the beta access pack for us. None of them touch this any more, and rightly so. Forget about the maintenance system, you could get paid mills and still lose motivation when your goals you work for prove to be fodder instead of a better ship. Ok sure its MIGHT be better then the teir below.... Though.... Ballista vs any other tier 2 or even one ship of the same class? That's pithetic.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.