FORUMS

Remove Tier 2 from Veteran

Posted: //
May 14, 2017, 11:17 a.m.

A few design decisions really make me question the decision making capabilities of the devs. One of them being mixing tier 2s into Veteran matches with tier IVs.

Many posts have already complained, that playing as a tier 2 in a Veteran game is not fun. You stay behind your team's T4s, and have minimal impact on the game, trying not to die from 2 hits.

When I queue up as a tier 2 and try to get into a recruit match, I'm rolling the dice on whether I'll be getting slaughtered in Veteran. Selecting 'Recruit' doesn't make a difference on what kind of game play I'm getting into.

This combined with the catastrophic maintenance system, results in a creepy cash grab that is subtly reaching into my pocket.

The only reason they allow Tier 2s in Veteran is probably to purposefully make you feel the paywall hitting you, and discouraging you from playing the game unless you cough up cash.

Currently, the game wants you to pay cash to be able to access tier 4s and play them consistently, or just stay in tier 2s and get slaughtered over and over again vs other T4s, until you either leave the game, or pay cash to buy credits to offset the maintenance drain in Veteran.

This makes a lot of players feel disgusted, and even those willing to pay are left with a bad taste in their mouth.

I feel like the tier system adds nothing to the game, other than trying to limit progression so you'll pay cash. This system feels vaguely worse than Star Conflict, which I stayed away from. I think it's an East Asian/Euro game dev philosophy to have these freemium practices that makes the game nearly unplayable unless you pay at some point.

We'd be happier if you made this game non-free to play, like Overwatch, charge us an upfront cost initially, and cosmetics, and get rid of all this paywall and screwed up tier matchmaking. Focus on making interesting and unique ships that add fun to gameplay instead of ways to grab cash.

May 19, 2017, 6:49 p.m.

I have to agree with the OP: not only most Tier 2 ships feel basically useless when going up against Tier 4 ships due to their superior hitpoints and firepower, but being forcefully up-tiered to a Veteran match when Recruit is selected is extremely aggravating.
Either tiers are rebalanced so that the difference in power doesn't feel nearly as dramatic as it does now, or Tier 2s shouldn't be allowed to end up against Tier 4s.

May 19, 2017, 9:03 p.m.

+1

May 19, 2017, 10:03 p.m.

Updated //
May 19, 2017, 10:08 p.m.

Read my post in the New Players section. I just finished a game where a T2 dread was going solo against me for the whole battle. I have a Tier IV Vigo that can kill a T2 dread with my eyes closed.

I actually made a point not to fire on him because it was more fun running away and resisting the urge to destroy him.

Why was he doing that? And more importantly, why was he doing it every time he spawned?

Even a Tier IV dread on it's own is going to have a hard time surviving. Why do people think it is logical to play like this? And then rather than self-reflect they blame the matchmaking system. The matchmaker didn't make that guy fly his T2 Dread solo the whole battle...

And the sad part was that the enemy team were ahead for a while so if that T2 player had stayed with the pack it's likely his team would have won. Which would have got him more points through win bonus and assists than his single kill got him.

If you think you will beat Veterans just cos you get better ships you are in for a big surprise. What will you say when all players have T4 and someone still comes on the bottom with 0 kills 3 deaths? Is that going to be a matchmaker problem? At which point do we start self-reflecting on our skill as a probably cause in our demise?

After we've nerfed vettes? After we've given every single player the same ship with the same modules? Where do we start blaming ourselves instead of every other external factor?

As long as your team is balanced then you are ok. The only bad thing is when teams are clearly unbalanced.

I'm happy to squad up with any T2 player and fly T2 ships in veteran matches. I'm not saying we will go great, but I'm happy to do it anytime. Just add me and let's fly!

May 19, 2017, 11:04 p.m.

Developers are aware of the massive amount of feedback the how each of the Tiers fit within each Fleet and how it affects gameplay with the current Matchmaking System. Currently all efforts are on fixing bugs, like the multiple maintenance causing bugs, and then other issues can be ironed out.

I can also assure you there is no evil motive behind the current system.

Live QA Representative

May 20, 2017, 1:25 a.m.

I agree. Not sure why they came up with the idea of T2s being able to go in both brackets to begin with.

BTW, when you get forced to join Veteran even though you queued as Recruit, do you still need to pay for maintenance?

May 20, 2017, 7:40 a.m.

Nothing more aggravating than being thrown into veteran tier against level IV then you got I-II ships.

May 20, 2017, 9:25 a.m.

klockren#3114 posted (#post-121035)

BTW, when you get forced to join Veteran even though you queued as Recruit, do you still need to pay for maintenance?

No, maintenance is fleet bound. And you do not use it in this case.

Recruit Engineer

May 21, 2017, 3:04 p.m.

-Bazza-#5140 posted (#post-121012)
snip

There are a couple of issues with this post.
First off you make the assumption that since one player played poorly, every single player in a Tier 2 ship will try to 1v1 a Tier 4 ship of the same class. This dismisses other possible scenarios like, say, a player in a Tier 2 Destroyer sticking close to the rest of the group and using the F key to point out enemies, especially a pair of Tier 4 Destroyers with Thrust Amplifier to quickly close in when out of concealment, Plasma Rams that do as much damage as the Tier 2 ship maximum health, Disruptor Missile so that even if the T2 ship has Warp they won't be able to use it leaving to that player and a couple others very much dead since they lack the firepower to kill them before they manage to ram and lack the maneuvrability to get out of the way.
Just one scenario out of many possible in this game.

And secondly you said that you "have a Tier IV Vigo that can kill a T2 dread with my eyes closed" which just underlines the massive power disparity between Tier 2 and Tier 4 and why Veteran should have a T3 and 4 bracket instead.

May 25, 2017, 4:47 a.m.

I just started playing today and progressed to T2, had some great fun until I was put into matches against mostly T3/T4. I was being tactical and not leeroying, I was watching my back for the sneaky corvettes. I was spotting for the team and doing all the stuff a good team player should. But to no avail I was getting pwnd to dust and coming out on the bottom of most matches.

If you have to have a tier system this is not the way. It made me very wary as I've been bitten before by fun games that become a drag because of stuff like this--that pay wall is so obvious! (Someone mentioned Star Conflict--made me so bitter that game, what a mess!)

It definitely made me take a step back and have second thoughts about investing my time and possible funds into the game. I guess time will tell if the devs make this into a cash cow money grab or have a real interest in producing a well balanced game centered around their community.

description

Gamers unite!

Join our community on Discord - https://discord.gg/uUWsxXG

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.