FORUMS

This game's open beta will fail if Corvettes are not changed

Posted: //
May 22, 2017, 11:50 a.m.

Corvettes are a threat - Yes. I have games where i feel really powerfull with a vette. In other games i have the feeling that i cant do anything. Everyone is shooting me and each approach is stopped before it starts.

Whats the difference between these games? In one game people know how to handle a vett-threat, they look out for me and give me a hard time. In the other games, nobody cares for his teammates and let me do what i want to do.

“I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die.”

May 22, 2017, 12:46 p.m.

Another "Vette is op thread". Dont separate from your team and look on the Map. Even a TC will kill you in your Tunnelvision. Or play a vette. T2 is fun, above you get grinded.

May 22, 2017, 6:06 p.m.

Updated //
May 22, 2017, 6:07 p.m.

Shinra_Vanity#4957 posted (#post-121258)

My tier 4 dread kills vettes for fun.

But in recruit games nobody has the tools to kill them.

I would say give tier 2 dreads stasis pulse or tractor beam to deal with them

Good suggestion. It seems Recruit players are not well equipped to deal with vettes, even at tier III (it doesn't help matters that level 50 players have been flying in Recruit to farm XP).

-N03

May 22, 2017, 6:17 p.m.

The medium vette need an autofire damage nerf.. The rest is pretty fine! :o

May 22, 2017, 6:34 p.m.

see, that's pretty much it - I think medium vette is ok (I don't fly it tho) but heavy vette should be hit by nerfhammer to it's tankiness (I don't fly it either)...

anyway, all vettes can be countered at their respective tiers. As I stated at second page, it's issue of players, not ships. I had to deal with it and learn how to counter them, so others should too imo. Newbies have more tools now, since there is plenty more guides and gameplay videos online nowdays.

May 23, 2017, 9:52 a.m.

Its a tactics thing. I main a tactical cruiser and i frequently kill corvettes that try to kill me.

Its about awareness. If you see a corvette, heres a few tips:

1. PRESS F (Or the key you have rebound for spotting) AND CLICK 'FIRE ON THIS TARGET' IMMEDIATELY. Alert your team to the corvettes presence.
  2. Put full power to shields the second you see it begin its strafing run.
  3. If you have any abilities that reinforce shield/armor/energy, now is the time to pop them.
  4. Aim your long range weapons at it and switch IMMEDIATELY to close the moment it gets in closer.
    a. (Tac cruiser specific) Tesla cannons. Corvettes melt in seconds.
  5. DO NOT REMAIN A STATIONARY TARGET. FLEE TO FRIENDLY SHIPS
  6. If there is more than 1 corvette strafing you however, put full power to engines and hide beneath the nearest friendly ship.

May 23, 2017, 9:57 a.m.

I love now no one mentioned thus far the simple ideal of countering a corvette with one on the other team. with corvettes on both sides, one has to play much more cautious as being intercepted mid pass by a defending corvette is will kill you 9.5/10. corvette on corvette fights are decided in seconds and are personally my favorite fights in game so far. With the support of its fleet, 1 defending corvette can hold off 3 attacking ones easily.

May 23, 2017, 10:58 a.m.

Updated //
May 23, 2017, 11:03 a.m.

LoneValkyrie#4441 posted (#post-121243)

This type of conversation is like a flavour of the month sale at a store, every month it'll change to something else because players aren't taking the time and effort to fully understand the game, you have 5 slots in your fleets for a very good reason. Switching ships BOOM, they have alot of corvettes? Switch to a harwich with anti courvette mods, or a vindicta.

Play other classes round out a balanced fleet and you'll be fine, this is not LOL with mains and lanes. It's a tactical team based shooter.

Learn to play, stop trying to turn this game into a constantly unbalanced mess.

Yeah this sounds good. But he's right though. Corvette's are an extreme outlier. Are you really trying to claim that they are "different but equal" to the other classes? The other's have comparable strengths and weaknesses. Corvette's are playing an entirely different game. They're assassins when they should be skirmishers. Hit and run, harrassers, chasing down wounded targets. Instead they are pretty equally great against everything, and 100-0 targets by themselves. Corvette's are and should be a great counter to Artillery, if you really think there is a similar counter to Corvette's I'd love to hear it.

Every match I've played, players on both teams have between 1-5 kills, and then the Corvette has 12. The Corvette needs its role redefined and clarified. They're playing Quake while the other classes play Dreadnought.

May 23, 2017, 11:09 a.m.

ShadowxDagger#1621 posted (#post-121396)

I love now no one mentioned thus far the simple ideal of countering a corvette with one on the other team. with corvettes on both sides, one has to play much more cautious as being intercepted mid pass by a defending corvette is will kill you 9.5/10. corvette on corvette fights are decided in seconds and are personally my favorite fights in game so far. With the support of its fleet, 1 defending corvette can hold off 3 attacking ones easily.

For balance and game design, how it compares to the other classes is what matters. Not "well it's completely broken but the best counter is itself." Anything is balanced when compared to itself. All other classes have strengths, weaknesses, counters. Artillery is great at hitting a big slow targets. But it's easily out maneuvered by a Corvette who avoids the business end.
This is good. By contrast, Corvettes are good against all other classes. The end. That's not good.

May 23, 2017, 11:10 a.m.

Updated //
May 23, 2017, 11:17 a.m.

There are counters to corvettes. But the problem is that one has to dedicate a number of modules just for vettes (and most of these modules are only available at tier IV). So your normal ship becomes an anti-vette ship instead, just to defend against incoming vettes.

Sometimes though a module can double for other uses, such as Bomb Catapult IV for artillery. It is a great short-range killer for any ship blitzing you. And it just so happens to be killer against a close vette as well. But in order for artillery to effectively counter vettes, they need more than just BC, but also proximity mines, which you don't get until tier IV. With PM and BC combined, together with Evasive maneuver, you can effectively kill 9/10 incoming vettes in their favorite target, artillery.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.