FORUMS

Missiles, bombs and torps mechanics

Posted: //
May 22, 2017, 6:18 a.m.

OK.

I definetly to not understand how this weapon types works in this game.

They are not "Fire&Forget" since they miss target often.
But yet they are "locking on target".

Torpedos can be detonated. But how and when?

Is there a complete game guide that describes modules and how they work?

There is no PVE so all noobs like me have to learn on their mistakes during PvP fights.

May 22, 2017, 6:47 a.m.

There isn't an official guide on modules, I assume it will come at some point, when the game is closer to been finished. There is a wiki, but it isn't upto date. Right now your best bet is to read through this forum and ask more experienced players. The torpedos and nuclear missiles can be detonated manually before impact by pressing the same button again that launched the projectile. This applies usually to all the modules that shoot projectiles with an area effect (blast radius).

1. Launch weapon module. (If the tab is green, its locked on target, but can also be deployed without locking on target.)
  2. Timer on the module counts down while the weapon is deployed. Now you can only wait until it is done.
  3. Projectile flies away (tab goes red). Now either let it find its target or you can manually detonate it.

I think all the modules that do damage can be used even when there is no actual target locked, including any kind of pulse modules (blast, disruptor etc.). The module tab on these weapons turns green, when an enemy is in range of the effect.

May 22, 2017, 11:43 a.m.

rko40k#5328 posted (#post-121244)

They are not "Fire&Forget" since they miss target often.
But yet they are "locking on target".

They are both. Especially the torpedos. The missiles follow until they hit the target or something else (another ship, the map, whatever), but torpedos have two different types, but this does not get stated anywhere.

The usual non-nuclear torpedo behaviour is the following. You lock them onto a target and fire them. They get launched, move a bit forward, then go to the current position of the enemy ship and go dumbfire, with the exception that they have some kind of tracking radius, meaning if they pass the enemy close enough, they will correct their course and hit/follow.

Now this does work for most, but not all torpedos and their tracking radius, the maximal distance they can miss a target and then home in, varies.

Now we have "nuclear" torpdos, those are dumbfire to the last position of the enemy, meaning they get launched, move a bit to the front, then have a fixed time where they try to turn towards the target, then go dumbfire. Thats it.

Torpedos can be detonated. But how and when?

Pressing the module button again, usually works only with nukes, the module "button" at the top of the screen reads "detonate".

There is no PVE so all noobs like me have to learn on their mistakes during PvP fights.

There is the training mode.

Recruit Engineer

May 22, 2017, 2:04 p.m.

Thank you!

So someone locked you and launched missiles you can just put another ship or a obstacle between you and missile..

Or just move away if this was a torpedoes (if you fast enough)

what about friendly fire? Can someone hide from missiles behind enemy ship to make them hit it?
will aoe detonations harm friendly ships?

May 22, 2017, 2:14 p.m.

rko40k#5328 posted (#post-121286)

Thank you!

So someone locked you and launched missiles you can just put another ship or a obstacle between you and missile..

what about friendly fire? Can someone hide from missiles behind enemy ship to make them hit it?

No friendly fire, only self-inflicted damage. You can hurt enemies and yourself, thats it.

Recruit Engineer

May 23, 2017, 1:40 a.m.

Updated //
May 23, 2017, 1:41 a.m.

Thank you!

Answers were very usefull. They should include them in the tutorial! smile

May 23, 2017, 6:33 a.m.

Good thread. I was starting to piece this together in game but it's good to see it confirmed.

May 23, 2017, 7:07 a.m.

Updated //
May 23, 2017, 7:10 a.m.

Out of interest, if I block enemy missiles that were targeting at one of my allies, will I get damaged? I'm not talking about nukes here, just standard missiles.

I'd assume so but wondered if someone can confirm.

Also, when mines detonate, do they just damage enemies, enemies and the person who laid them, or do they hit everyone in the blast radius?

And finally, what's the effect of power to weapons, or weapon boosting modules on mines? I've seen videos of people putting ptw when they launch the mine, then immediately switching it off, what's the reason for that?

Thanks!

May 23, 2017, 7:33 a.m.

Jawayne#8001 posted (#post-121287)

rko40k#5328 posted (#post-121286)

Thank you!

No friendly fire, only self-inflicted damage. You can hurt enemies and yourself, thats it.

I could be wrong here since it hasn't happened many times but i have the impression that (friendly) nuke detonations can harm friendly ships. I rememeber accidentally launching a Goliath at launch when an asteroid was next to me and it blew up and damaged me and a friendly destroyer nearby. The friendly took much less damage than i did but there was damage. Unless it was something else that happened to hit him at the same time..

Are you sure that nukes don't hurt friendlies?

Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in.
-Master Sergeant Farell

May 23, 2017, 7:53 a.m.

Updated //
May 23, 2017, 7:54 a.m.

Divide-By-Zero#3135 posted (#post-121368)

I could be wrong here since it hasn't happened many times but i have the impression that (friendly) nuke detonations can harm friendly ships. I rememeber accidentally launching a Goliath at launch when an asteroid was next to me and it blew up and damaged me and a friendly destroyer nearby. The friendly took much less damage than i did but there was damage. Unless it was something else that happened to hit him at the same time..

Are you sure that nukes don't hurt friendlies?

There is no friendly fire, not even nukes. You can only heal and give buffs to team mates, no damage. Also the blast damage of a nuke diminishes the further you are from the detonation point. So if you see a nuke coming, run even if you know you are going to get hit. It might still save your life.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.