FORUMS

Great job at scaring away new players!

Posted: //
May 22, 2017, 4:48 p.m.

Updated //
May 22, 2017, 4:51 p.m.

I'm new to the game (oh well, have played the closed beta for about a day last year, but it was too buggy) and have started to like it a lot more than I've initially expected. Battles - with a good team - can be quite fun, and there are also a few ships I looked forward to unlocking. Have spent the better part of the weekend playing it.
What I really hated through all that time was the UI tho: it's horrible, ugly, very uninformative, and navigating through it is illogical, but oh well...

Anyhow I've bought the Vanguard Pack and started grinding, and have just unlocked my first tier 3 ship, the Dola... and this is where things started turning bad. Real bad:
- First of all in the stupid shipyard UI I had no way to tell what the primary armament of the Dola is... It only says that it has a 7km range and 3km/sec projectile speed, as well as higher damage than the Nav, which sounds quite fine on paper... but man, how this thing sucks! The Ballistic Cannons it has are so horribly inaccurate at range that it's completely useless, even the horribly slow projectiles of the Nav and Simagrl were a lot better. At least they hit stationary targets, the Dola cannot even do that, it's garbage!
So now I have my first tier 3 ship and I hate it, thanks to the lack of test-drive option and the horribly uninformative shipyard UI. Great...
- Funny thing is, I didn't even want this stupid Dola, it's the Koschei that I aim to get, but of course you need to play a Destroyer to unlock a "Healer" because logic is apparently unknown to Greybox.
- And then I play my first battle, "of course" I'm instantly put in a match against tons of tier 4 ships with an incompetent team on my side. I can't turn the tide of the battle the way I usually did with the Nav since my ship sucks donkey b...s, and of course we lose horribly...
Aaaand bang, 900 credits maintenance cost to be able to use my ship again. What the orbital clusterfuck is this, whose stupid idea was that?!
Yes I know it's only for the losing team, which makes it all the more stupid since you've earned less credits to begin with. Also having a maintenance cost is generally okay, but having it cost as much (or maybe even more) as I earned in the match itself is ridiculous.

Credits are already hard enough to come by, considering how even upgrade modules tend to cost more than what you can make in a single winning match, not to mention the cost of the ships themselves. Now while my Elite status last I can still make Credits even with this inexplicably stupid economy, but it's going to go hel of a lot slower than I expected, and once my Elite ticks off I expect having to grind ages (many of them) to get a new ship.

I don't care about bullshit like "oh but Greybox has to make money too". No, this is definitely NOT the way. I have played quite a few F2P games already (last one was Armored Warfare until russian devs took it over and ruined it) and none of them attempted to rip me off so badly. This is not game economy, this is theft.

P.S.: I'm also not intrested in ppl yelling "git gud!" - even as a beginner I have carried several matches with ships that are capable (like the Nav or the Orcus), and I'm generally an above average player in this genre. However I had no way of knowing how the Dola plays like, I was "forced" to purchase it to access another ship, and I also feel cheated because of how high maintenance costs are. I don't feel like any of this is my fault.

Ryzen 2600X @ 4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 1070 Ti iChill X3 V2

May 22, 2017, 5:04 p.m.

• Funny thing is, I didn't even want this stupid Dola, it's the Koschei that I aim to get, but of course you need to play a Destroyer to unlock a "Healer"

Yup, I agree with you. I am doing exactly the same thing right now, and the Dola can be pretty sh^tty sometimes.

Credits are already hard enough to come by, considering how even upgrade modules tend to cost more than what you can make in a single winning match, not to mention the cost of the ships themselves. Now while my Elite status last I can still make Credits even with this inexplicably stupid economy, but it's going to go hel of a lot slower than I expected, and once my Elite ticks off I expect having to grind ages (many of them) to get a new ship.

To be honest, here you are taking the words out of my mouth. The grind without elite status... This is a big problem from my opinion, devs, you have to improve the grinding system massively

The community should not be afraid of the developers- The developers should be afraid of their community. carrier

^I want to believe^

https://youtu.be/z_Gd9-IfYzw

May 22, 2017, 5:13 p.m.

This is getting ridiculous, the Match that the server hosted just crashed on me... didn't get to the part where you're all picking ships in orbit, instead it tossed me straight back to the shipyard without me playing a second, and BOOM, "here you go fcker", pay another 900 credits for "losing" a match that didn't even start...

Great job guys!

May 22, 2017, 5:19 p.m.

Tyrel#8199 posted (#post-121307)

This is getting ridiculous, the Match that the server hosted just crashed on me... didn't get to the part where you're all picking ships in orbit, instead it tossed me straight back to the shipyard without me playing a second, and BOOM, "here you go fcker", pay another 900 credits for "losing" a match that didn't even start...

Great job guys!

Please report this NOW through the ingame bug reporter!

The community should not be afraid of the developers- The developers should be afraid of their community. carrier

^I want to believe^

https://youtu.be/z_Gd9-IfYzw

May 22, 2017, 5:46 p.m.

Tyrel#8199 posted (#post-121307)

Great job guys!

This is a known bug that the devs are working to fix. You might be able to get reimbursement if this happens too frequently (actually, it would be a nice jesture on the devs part if they blanket reimbersed all players for this, if even a few thousand credits).

May 22, 2017, 5:48 p.m.

Yeah, I did... Then the next match I played crashed in-match. We were about 2/3 into it, when suddenly everything stopped, including the countdown timer and all people could do was chat. But not move, shoot, use modules or anything else. Everyone was like WTF then after about 2 minutes it closed the match.
What the heck was this game in beta for for so long?... UI sucks badly, server is unstable, balance is questionable at best, there are bugs around every second corner (many of them with the UI)... But hey at least they got the economy "right"!...

Thank god it did not charge me for maintenance again this time around...

May 22, 2017, 5:55 p.m.

Tyrel#8199 posted (#post-121304)

I'm new to the game

Hello, welcome.

What the orbital clusterfuck is this**, whose stupid idea was that?!

Eheheheheh. Nice phrase smile

Of course i agree with most of points you made. Maintenance is sick.
But to topic - I'm sorry to tell you that you need to stop using dola.
Leave it. I did same mistake. Just no. Know this - T3 orcurus's succesor is very good.
Much better than orcurus (or whatever T2 healer name is).

Dont even try grinding dola. After you unlock all modules required to get koschei you need very huge (for new player) amounts of credits and experience. Go unlock T3 healer or T3 medium arty for example. Actually dola grind can be ommited but you cant do it anyway so leave it.

May 22, 2017, 6:06 p.m.

Updated //
May 22, 2017, 6:15 p.m.

Well the problem with that is that I cannot sell the Dola (in AW for example we could sell our tanks for 50% of the price) therefore I can't yet afford another t3 ship... and I wanted the Koschei for the heavy repair beams that the ... uhm... Aion? cannot have, aaaaand also for the officer briefing that you can unlock on in, which feels like a great addition to healers (I mean tac. cruisers) which I aim to play the most. (I generally play a support role in online games, not that I suck with the others, but it usually feels more needed and I'm fine with not getting all the kills)

I'm starting to feel like the current "economy" of the game is set up so that it handicaps players that have been around for a looooong time enough, in order to prevent them from buying all the t5 ships too fast... But it completely ignores new players, which is a grave mistake.

I just cannot - for the life of me - understand how MOBA games (in the literal sense of the acronym, I'm not talking about LoL and DotA) always manage to have an incompetent, greedy, full-of-sh*t manager/decisionmaker that makes it a pain for players to actually play the game, which leads them to stop enjoying it, which leads them to leave... And then that clueless pothead just sits around wondering why he's not rich yet.
God, if there was only one day in a year when you can freely shoot people... Ofc I'm not that violent tho, but I'd be perfectly fine with shooting said manager up on the Moon... with a card titled 'maintenance cost', saying you have to pay 50,000,000 $ for the return shuttle. Surprise motherf...

May 22, 2017, 6:24 p.m.

No disagreement there. Video game devs, for whatever reason, seem to be often disconnected from the players... some more, some less...

But if you prefer healing roles, you will like Dreadnought... A LOT... trust me on this. There is no other ship in DN that has the scoring potential of healers. Healers consistently rank on the top of the scoreboards, and out-score any other ship by far. (Personally, this makes sense too. If healers are not well compensated, then no one will play them.)

If you need to farm XP to save up for the Koschei, I would suggest you start grinding through the Ceres first, with the Dola in your fleet. This way you can passively grind the Dola, while at the same time, convert the massive sums of XP you earned to free XP.

-N03

May 22, 2017, 6:41 p.m.

Updated //
May 22, 2017, 6:50 p.m.

Converting the XP would require me to invest waaaay more real money into this game than it currently deserves. Aaaand also I happen to be from a poor country so spending dozens of $$ on converting free XP feels like an exceptionally stupid idea in general, for my kind. I'd be fine with maintaining Elite status, but that's about it.
So I'll just have to grind it, sooner or later... smile Well if I don't leave the game as fast as I started it.

Back to the Dola, I really don't get it. How is that ship balanced, what is it good for? Based on the stats you can see in the shipyard, I expected it to play similarly to the Nav and Simagrl, with less protection but better chance at scoring hits in long ranges...
But instead, it has a primary weapon (again I had no way of knowing) that has a high spread to begin with, so it does negligible damage at range since most of your bullets just miss even on stationary targets... but man, when it comes to moving targets, even at medium ranges, it still is a nightmare. Every darned ship I have seen this far fires shining, bright, purple projectiles, it's literally like a unicorn farting out of their guns!...
...and then you have the Dola. With all the invisible little sh*t it fires. I cannot see where my projectiles go, therefore I cannot adjust my aim. How am I supposed to kill stuff this way?

Of course when I started whining about how much it sucks in the ingame chat I got barked at, telling me that the Dola is a close range fighter... But dude, the Dola has the mobility of a dreadnought, but none of its' defensive capabilities, so I have yet to see this one work...

Why isn't the progression system like: "max out any tier 2 ship of a vendor to be able to buy any tier 3 ship from that same vendor" ? So people would still need to progress through tiers but wouldn't be forced to play ships that they hate.
Continuing on that thought, if you have to play a ship that you hate you generally underperform with it, which leads you to earn less credits and face maintenance costs more... which makes that hated grind even worse... Remind me again, are they creating a computer game here, or a new torture tool?

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.