FORUMS

How do you deal with groups of Tac Cruisers?

Posted: //
May 26, 2017, 2:51 a.m.

A group of 2-3 tactical cruisers, in my exceptionally limited experience (two tier two ships) is almost impossible to take down - whichever one you aren't shooting at boost heals/autorepair beams the other, both drop healing pods, and you just can't kill the little blighters.

May 26, 2017, 3:46 a.m.

Updated //
May 26, 2017, 3:49 a.m.

Lets assume they are about the same tier ships as you. If they have any skill AND combat awareness, you can't take them out alone.This is where the team play comes in. You can either attack the tacs and force them to concentrate to healing each other and thus leave their team without healing. While you do this, call out other targets, so your team mates can focus their fire to kill the enemies left without healing. OR, try to point couple targets for you team to focus on and while they do that, the tacs have to heal those targets and you can sweep in to try to take them out.

In any case, you need your team to help you (or you to help your team). If in the heat of battle you have time, tell your team in chat in advance what you are about to do and give them few seconds to prepare. Even slightly coordinated full fleet attack can wipe out most of the enemy team very quickly, when done right.

May 26, 2017, 4:26 a.m.

Updated //
May 26, 2017, 4:30 a.m.

Yeah teamplay works against them, but it tends to not happen in random matches. In that case it's usually a horrible match, where you just keep shooting stuff like crazy yet nothing goes down.

Also I've noticed that teams without a tac. cruiser nearly always lose the match, regardless of game mode. Maybe Matchmaking should take special care of this and not allow for the opposing teams to have more than 1 difference in the number of their tac. cruisers. For example 0-1, 1-1, 3-2, etc. should be allowed, but 0-2 should not. To some extent (with less strictness) could also be done with the other classes.

You know if you play WoT for example, everyone there goes into battle with a pre-selected tank, therefore matchmaking has an easy job in balancing the teams. Here in Dreadnought however you can take multiple ships into battle, so the Matchmaking cannot balance the team composition beforehand... but instead of that it could, and should impose rules on ship selection, on-the fly. (meaning if your team has too much healers already, then you cannot use yours, but if one of them switches to a destroyer, then your tac. cruiser gets unlocked upon respawn)

Ofc this could lead to some people having to play a ship they did not intend to, but that is entirely their fault. Do not have ships in your fleet that you don't want to play.

Also in the long run, once we have a lot more players, Matchmaking could sometimes make a few matches where randomly one of the classes is forbidden, just for the fun of it.

Ryzen 2600X @ 4.2GHz, 16GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 1070 Ti iChill X3 V2

May 26, 2017, 5:49 a.m.

Healer jerk circles are what drove me to maining corvettes (I have all three T4 Corvettes but prefer the Oberon ones). I see a lot of posts complaining about corvettes and artillery, but in my opinion the most game changing ships in game are the 2 or 3 tacs that hide in a clump and heal each other - absolutely unbreakable without more teamwork than you will ever find on a random team. As mentioned above the team that has this make up nearly always win.

To answer the OP, you need burst damage. It doesn't always work but seems to be the best answer. Unfortunately at T2 you don't really have the option for it. In T4 the best answers I have found are as follows:

Any Destroyer (though Oberon T4 is arguably the best): Drain Torpedo followed straight away by Storm Missles. As soon as the Drain Torpedo and missles are fired start hitting the Tac with main guns.

Any Corvette (though Akula Heavy corvette is arguably the best at: Torpedo Salvo, Blast pulse and main guns - all times to hit at the same time. Works best with officer briefing Module Amber (30% increased damage to modules). This works best with some kind of cloak.

Neither system work all the time, but on the whole it has the best success rate I have come across. There is also the Plasma Ram option on Destroyers, but this can leave you very open to being killed yourself.

May 26, 2017, 10:42 a.m.

Updated //
May 26, 2017, 10:43 a.m.

Hmm, depends on the rest of the situation. If it is a group of tacs healing each other without any other ships its simple enough: play something larger than a corvette and physically block them from healing each other and focus them down one at a time.

if its a group of tacs in a larger deathball i suggest either nukes or storm missiles. A module amp'd storm + flechette volley from a t4 destroyer will usually kill a tac in one go, and it happens fast enough that the others wont necessarily be able to react quickly enough to save it. be sure to continue firing on them to overload their threat response reaction and distract them from the missiles, bonus points if you fire missiles at one and your main weps at a different one so they are focusing their heals on the secondary target when the missiles hit the primary.

May 26, 2017, 12:27 p.m.

Updated //
May 26, 2017, 12:28 p.m.

Tyrel#8199 posted (#post-121945)

Maybe Matchmaking should take special care of this and not allow for the opposing teams to have more than 1 difference in the number of their tac. cruisers. For example 0-1, 1-1, 3-2, etc. should be allowed, but 0-2 should not. To some extent (with less strictness) could also be done with the other classes.

I see no reason for this. If one team is unable to adjust and pick a tactical cruiser then it probably deserves to lose. People that stick with 1 ship no matter what even when the situation requires them to pick something else, probably won't go far in this game.

Besides even winning against 2 healers when your team has none is doable but yes, it needs cooperation. Remember that even if the enemy has 3 healers, it means that their team lacks in DPS significantly.

A pretty good way to deal with multiple healers that stay in pockets, is burst aoe damage, aka nukes. Also modules like drain, weaponbooster pulse, disruption or -even better - purge work great as well.
Other than that, some good tactics have been mentioned above. Force the healer to pick what he will heal and co-ordinate your team on blowing up the rest. Also switching targets works well and it confuses most healers.

Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in.
-Master Sergeant Farell

May 26, 2017, 12:29 p.m.

Tyrel#8199 posted (#post-121945)

Maybe Matchmaking should take special care of this and not allow for the opposing teams to have more than 1 difference in the number of their tac. cruisers. For example 0-1, 1-1, 3-2, etc. should be allowed, but 0-2 should not. To some extent (with less strictness) could also be done with the other classes.
I see no reason for this. If one team is unable to adjust and pick a tactical cruiser then it probably deserves to lose. People that stick with 1 ship no matter what even when the situation requires them to pick something else, probably won't go far in this game.

Besides even winning against 2 healers when your team has none is doable but yes, it needs cooperation. Remember that even if the enemy has 3 healers, it means that their team lacks in DPS significantly.

A pretty good way to deal with multiple healers that stay in pockets, is burst aoe damage, aka nukes. Also modules like drain, weaponbooster pulse, disruption or -even better - purge work great as well.
Other than that, some good tactics have been mentioned above. Force the healer to pick what he will heal and co-ordinate your team on blowing up the rest. Also switching targets works well and it confuses most healers.

Battle is the Great Redeemer. It is the fiery crucible in which true heroes are forged. The one place where all men truly share the same rank, regardless of what kind of parasitic scum they were going in.
-Master Sergeant Farell

May 26, 2017, 6:46 p.m.

Updated //
May 26, 2017, 6:50 p.m.

Double-nuke, or single bomb catapult. Especially work well on ground maps, since they usually so afraid to show up, that literally scrapping the ground with their bellies.
But even without those, just warp dreadnought behind them, swap to secondary weapons, energy to weapons, plus broadside. If you do it right you'll kill at least two healers before they kill you. After that its up to team to finish the remaining healer (or just ignore it, it won't be as powerful all alone), and not letting newly respawned tacs (unless it elimination of course) to rejoin their team, just intercept and kill them midway.

May 26, 2017, 6:49 p.m.

Yep, i've cleared pesky nests of tacs with a well placed nuke smile

"You don't mind that I overclocked the ship's modules, right? I mean, it's not like they've caught on fire..."

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.