FORUMS

DEVTALK #3: THE FUTURE OF MAINTENANCE Discussion

Posted: //
June 2, 2017, 12:59 p.m.

We put out a new Dev Talk about the future of maintenance. Let us know what you think and give us feedback on the new system!

Sean McIntosh
Dreadnought Community Manager

June 2, 2017, 2:23 p.m.

Wow! I am super impressed and happy with this. I had been saying for months that the maintenance system was fundamentally backwards (punishing instead of rewarding) and it looks like you guys genuinely listened and took action (or will, I have no idea how long this will take to roll out).

One thing I would be careful of is the fleet rotation thing. I don't believe it's a good thing to have veterans regularly entering Recruit matches, because the gap in skill often creates some spectacular curbstomps. I have seen a lot of complaints and frustration from newbies who have to fight against people who have been playing the game for months, so in my opinion you should be incentivizing experienced players to stay in Veteran/Legendary.

Now as far as Legendary goes, the cost to get there and get any modules makes this tier virtually nonexistent. I know it was said in the post that cost is for a different discussion entirely, but since you guys were talking about rotating between Recruit, Veteran, and Legendary, I should point out that Legendary is not viable in the game's current state.

Spork's Guide to the Fulgora and Medusa

Medusa and Murometz gameplay

June 2, 2017, 2:44 p.m.

DN_EmptyTuxedo#3505 posted (#post-122923)

We put out a new Dev Talk about the future of maintenance. Let us know what you think and give us feedback on the new system!

Sounds like you finally caught up with what the industry already knew for a long time, and what we told you a year ago already when you first announced maintenance. Remains to be seen how you actually implement it. Maybe in a few years you'll have reverted the game to when it was still great. smile

That said, I don't understand the concept of paying credits to earn more credits. If that's actually worth it (i.e. the bonus is higher than the cost) it's a no-brainer to do it and thus ultimately a pointless mechanic because everybody will do it. And if it's not worth it then it should be scrapped as well because trying to fool your players isn't any better than wanting to punish them. So whichever way you look at it it sounds like wasted development time.

tl;dr: just scrap maintenance without trying to be fancy about it

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

June 2, 2017, 3:09 p.m.

Yay, no more maintenance! God I'm glad I waited and hoped smile

If the point of the new system is to get people playing, both those who only get their 1st win of the day and those who play for multiple hours a day, then I propose an idea.

Have the "Battle-readiness" reset every day at midnight and also every 5 games played, have a timer for the daily and a "Battle Hardened" bonus counter.

That way those who play but once will have the incentive of being "only 4 games away" for another reward boost while those who play for long hours have a nice reward every 5 games.

Buying "Battle-readiness" for credits seems like a gamble thou, I don't see that catching on, "spend credits in the hope of making even more credits" seems meh to me.

Still, a huge step in the right direction!!!

Admiral: "What is best in Dreadnought!"
Knight_ldr: "To crush the enemy's ships, see them lit ablaze under your canons and hear the lamentations of their crewmen!"
Admiral: "That is good! That is good!"

June 2, 2017, 3:34 p.m.

Hooray! they finally listened to us and decided to change the system now, a bit late but good on you for deciding to do that now.

this feature is at least a month away or more, lets hope all the Open beta players dont leave because of the system currently in place and your late decision doesn't kill the game!

June 2, 2017, 3:48 p.m.

Snib#1627 posted (#post-122942)

DN_EmptyTuxedo#3505 posted (#post-122923)

Sounds like you finally caught up with what the industry already knew for a long time, and what we told you a year ago already when you first announced maintenance. Remains to be seen how you actually implement it. Maybe in a few years you'll have reverted the game to when it was still great. smile

That said, I don't understand the concept of paying credits to earn more credits. If that's actually worth it (i.e. the bonus is higher than the cost) it's a no-brainer to do it and thus ultimately a pointless mechanic because everybody will do it. And if it's not worth it then it should be scrapped as well because trying to fool your players isn't any better than wanting to punish them. So whichever way you look at it it sounds like wasted development time.

tl;dr: just scrap maintenance without trying to be fancy about it

It's not all about credits XP and free XP get a boost too. So it's one of those things of, if your close to an XP unlock and you have the credits. Then you might want to spend the credits to reset.
This system sounds great. I'll actually play my T3 ships!

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 11600K @ 3.9GHz|32GB Corsair Vengunce RGP SL Pro 3600mHz|MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Plus|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Corsair TX 650W|Win11 Pro X64| MSI MAG Forge 100R Case|

Dreadnought Support tool | Customer Support | Rookie Helping Hand Manuel

June 2, 2017, 7:31 p.m.

This is the right direction and by that I mean removing maintenance. The problem, and I really really don't want to sound negative, why so complicated?

You need to take a hard look at this and make sure you have clear what are you trying to achieve. There is no mention, understandably, of when is going to be implemented. But that should give you a clue. You have entangled yourselves so much that now, you have to come up with this complicated system, and no idea how many iterations it would take to "fine tune" or as you also said "find the sweet spot".

Going by what you initially said about maintenance, you were upfront when you told us, this is nothing but a monetization mechanism. So you are likely afraid that if you just remove maintenance, then, later on you'll be facing a too negative reaction from the community when you finally implement a better more optimized one.

My question to you then: how has the maintenance mechanic served you so far to that purpose of incentivizing players to expend money? Why not take a better look a the current balance regarding experience and credits? Try fixing the hero ships so they have some real benefits. Forget about experiments and hire some good creatives that can come up with better ships, modules, etc so the to make an actually attractive progression system.

You can latter come up with a way to make players circle between high and low tiers, (if that continues to be a thing).

I see in general that you react too slowly. How long have you seen the feedback about this. I'm almost sure that at some point you even went to say that the maintenance system was here to stay, that it just needed "tweaking". And here we are. So much time, you are buried in bugs, you say you understand now, that you are going to completely replace it but when is that going to happen is a big question mark. Maybe is because you are putting efforts where you really don't need them?

Mi humble opinion, I'd really like to see this game to take off.

June 2, 2017, 7:42 p.m.

Well, I'll be dipped in molasses. I really, truly didn't expect this. Up until now the company line has been pretty staunchly set that maintenance was here to stay, so I'm surprised and pleased by this change. This is certainly a step in the right direction, for sure. While I'm not quite ready to say I'm going to reinstall the game just yet, I'll be watching how this unfolds with interest. We'll see where things go from here.

June 2, 2017, 7:56 p.m.

Good step devs smile

Thank u that u have a ear for u're players

June 2, 2017, 10:13 p.m.

They noticed that the ship is not getting up from the ground... took 6 months... but, better late than never, right?
Now let's see how much time they will take for programming and implementation.
smile

Forged in Apulia.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.