FORUMS

Balancing issues need to be addressed very quickly

Posted: //
June 7, 2017, 10:34 p.m.

With all of the development focused on maps, UI, game modes, etc--
Balance between ships and tiers has become the focal point which I plan to complain about.

When two T4 ships can carry a team (with a 1000+ point lead over every other teammate) this is a large indication that the balancing issues need to be addressed.

It's becoming a painful gaming experience to play matches at this point.

Please balance or redirect which way the game is headed before focusing on external selling points for Dreadnought.

(It's becoming increasingly hard to recommend this game to my friends as well. I understand this is beta, and things are meant to be tested-- but with so much overwhelming data supporting a lack of balance, perhaps this should be priority number one.)

(Also, please fix whatever object is in the portrait behind my avatar. I can't tell if it's a planet through the window, or the old guy is sporting a really dark man-bun.)

June 7, 2017, 11:31 p.m.

(Also, please fix whatever object is in the portrait behind my avatar. I can't tell if it's a planet through the window, or the old guy is sporting a really dark man-bun.)

Pretty sure it's a bun. Zooming right in, it is definitely connected to his hair.

As for the rest of the post, whilst T4 ships can carry teams, I have also seen games where T2/T3 have carried and T4s were doing stuff all. Tier has an impact on the game, yes, but tactics will overcome even that provided your team knows what they are doing. Stuff feels pretty balanced where it's at, in my opinion. If you feel that T4s are too overwhelming, you can always limit yourself to recruit matches by having at least one T1 ship in your recruit fleet.
I should also mention, the two ships with 1,000+ points over anyone else are probably healers. Healing can generate very high scores that are virtually unreachable by other classes, if the healer is good and isn't disrupted.

June 7, 2017, 11:46 p.m.

If you take 2 players same skill level, with the tier 3 and the tier 4 variant of the same ship, the tier 4 player will do much better due to the increased health, damage and module choices.

Going up against teams with more T4 then you is a uphill battle from the start.

In a team v team arena game i shouldn't have to try harder just because someone has a fully built T4.

June 7, 2017, 11:53 p.m.

Updated //
June 7, 2017, 11:54 p.m.

The reason you often see T4 ships at the top is not that they're overpowered (though they are obviously stronger than T3s), it's often because they're more experienced. By T4 most players have had enough time to work out the game pretty well; I myself have all five Oberon T4s, and am able to perform very well in not only those, but also in my T3s (where I still almost always score in the top 3) because I know how the game works and how to play to my ship's strengths. The difference between T3 and T4 is not very large; it mostly just allows a wider variety of builds. My point is that this game is pretty well balanced in my opinion, and that performance boils down to skill more than anything else. That being said, T4 is where you get Storm Missiles and those things are just ludicrously overpowered.

Another thing to consider is that T4s aren't always on top- they will also get put up against T5s. Or at least they will once enough people own T5s to make Legendary battles actually happen.

Make The Forums Great Again!

June 8, 2017, 5:59 a.m.

Updated //
June 8, 2017, 6 a.m.

Agreed on the skill level playing a big part in the outcome!
Based on having run T2 vette against T3 & 4 vettes with decent enough results.
A great advantage the higher tiers have here is the blast pulse module, which can take half or more of T2 hp.

Glaive, spear, sword and knife,
Manfully handle, and in other's hands ruin.
--Liechtenenauer's Verses, Von Danzig, 1452

June 8, 2017, 10:30 a.m.

The tiers are not balanced, and are not meant to be. The difference between a fresh T3 and a fully decked out T4 is huge. And as the latter takes some time the experience difference is even higher. As long as there are not enough players to evenly balance, you will have to fight better enemies that are better equipped. Hopefully the hardcore players can soon move on to their T5s.

Recruit Engineer

June 13, 2017, 7:04 p.m.

You want to talk about balance issues? you know that first "artillery" cruiser that branches off from the Cerberus tactical cruiser? It's garbage. It's damage is such garbage that it takes multiple magazines to kill a Corvette, it's slow, it gets killed by everything, and the worst part? It's range is trash. It's a flipping artillery cruiser, and I need to get within firing range to shoot at a dreadnought, not that I'd go for a dreadnought, the only ship this thing has a chance of killing is a heavenly damaged corvette. Siege mode is literally the only way to kill anything between sniper class and destroyer, Corvettes can be killed in 1.1 magazines, and just - just don't even bother with dreadnoughts unless they only have 5 HP left, but even with siege mode, you still need to chase down the now heavily damaged ship, who is much faster than you unless it's a dreadnought, and but the time you get withing range he's retreated back to his allies and you get torn apart by his whole team before you can even empty the 30 mags into him needed to get down his last 5 HP. That said, I have some suggestions to make this rubbish ship playable.

1) Increase range: It's a flipping artillery cruiser, but compared to the artillery cruiser you start with, it's rubbish. It's got awful damage and range, The bad damage would be tolerable if could lay down cover fire from across the map. This probably sounds kind of OP, but considering it's already pretty inaccurate, shooting from across the map is really balanced, if you can hit a moving target from across the map, you earned that hit. And yes, I'm aware that the range and damage is to balance out the rapid fire, but the rapid fire is over rated. I'd rather have long range bad damage and rapid fire, low range rapid fire and high damage, or just high range and damage but low fire rate. This thing is called an artillery cruiser, but at the moment it's nothing but a glorified flintlock pistol.

2) increase clock time: Ok, the one thing this ship has going for it is the longer cloak, if you made it so that it got increased damage for 5 seconds if it fires while cloaked, and then de-cloaked, kind of like a hit and run assassin.

3) Increase damage: Snipers are supposed to hit hard from long range, if you aren't going to give the ship long range, at least have the decency to make it hit harder. A bigger magazine would also work.

4) increase speed: Ok, this one makes the most sense for the manufacturer from a lore standpoint. The manufacturer of this ship is supposed to be all about speed. Not armor, not weapons: Speed. They. Are. Speed. But this ship is slow as heck. at least make it fast enough to outrun destroyers with ease.

5) remove it: Ok, I'm gonna be honest, I wouldn't give two shakes about this ship if it weren't the only thing between me and a cool corvette, but I need 20 000 EXP to get that corvette, in this ship, that'll take months. Either that or just days of only playing this game. I don't have that kind of time, especially if my game is going to keep crashing every time I'm about to get a kill. If you aren't going to do something to make this ship worth a darn, just remove it and replace it's spot in the tech tree with the corvette, because grinding for hours on end every day with the star ship equivalent of Majikarp? NOT my idea of fun, and defiantly doesn't make me eager to return to this game, or pay for it when you eventually start selling it.

June 13, 2017, 10:55 p.m.

General Peanut#3116 posted (#post-124720)

You want to talk about balance issues? you know that first "artillery" cruiser that branches off from the Cerberus tactical cruiser? It's garbage. It's damage is such garbage that it takes multiple magazines to kill a Corvette, it's slow, it gets killed by everything, and the worst part? It's range is trash. It's a flipping artillery cruiser, and I need to get within firing range to shoot at a dreadnought, not that I'd go for a dreadnought, the only ship this thing has a chance of killing is a heavenly damaged corvette. Siege mode is literally the only way to kill anything between sniper class and destroyer, Corvettes can be killed in 1.1 magazines, and just - just don't even bother with dreadnoughts unless they only have 5 HP left, but even with siege mode, you still need to chase down the now heavily damaged ship, who is much faster than you unless it's a dreadnought, and but the time you get withing range he's retreated back to his allies and you get torn apart by his whole team before you can even empty the 30 mags into him needed to get down his last 5 HP. That said, I have some suggestions to make this rubbish ship playable.

1) Increase range: It's a flipping artillery cruiser, but compared to the artillery cruiser you start with, it's rubbish. It's got awful damage and range, The bad damage would be tolerable if could lay down cover fire from across the map. This probably sounds kind of OP, but considering it's already pretty inaccurate, shooting from across the map is really balanced, if you can hit a moving target from across the map, you earned that hit. And yes, I'm aware that the range and damage is to balance out the rapid fire, but the rapid fire is over rated. I'd rather have long range bad damage and rapid fire, low range rapid fire and high damage, or just high range and damage but low fire rate. This thing is called an artillery cruiser, but at the moment it's nothing but a glorified flintlock pistol.

2) increase clock time: Ok, the one thing this ship has going for it is the longer cloak, if you made it so that it got increased damage for 5 seconds if it fires while cloaked, and then de-cloaked, kind of like a hit and run assassin.

3) Increase damage: Snipers are supposed to hit hard from long range, if you aren't going to give the ship long range, at least have the decency to make it hit harder. A bigger magazine would also work.

4) increase speed: Ok, this one makes the most sense for the manufacturer from a lore standpoint. The manufacturer of this ship is supposed to be all about speed. Not armor, not weapons: Speed. They. Are. Speed. But this ship is slow as heck. at least make it fast enough to outrun destroyers with ease.

5) remove it: Ok, I'm gonna be honest, I wouldn't give two shakes about this ship if it weren't the only thing between me and a cool corvette, but I need 20 000 EXP to get that corvette, in this ship, that'll take months. Either that or just days of only playing this game. I don't have that kind of time, especially if my game is going to keep crashing every time I'm about to get a kill. If you aren't going to do something to make this ship worth a darn, just remove it and replace it's spot in the tech tree with the corvette, because grinding for hours on end every day with the star ship equivalent of Majikarp? NOT my idea of fun, and defiantly doesn't make me eager to return to this game, or pay for it when you eventually start selling it.

I assume you are talking about the Furia, personally I do great with it but I understand not everyone feels the same. If you are really having that much trouble and just want to get through it to the Fulgora try using the bug. When you empty the clip and are in the process of reloading you can enter siege mode, once you finish reloading you will have 10 siege mode shots instead of the normal 3 or 4. This works every single time and can almost take down a full hp t2 dread. Be aware that you wont be able to move until you fire all ten shots and they only stay for about 15-20 seconds before reverting to standard shot so make sure you are in position beforehand. I know it's not exactly fair but I feel like the more often people exploit a bug the faster it will get fixed.
Btw, you really won't be happy with the Fulgoras speed, I find the only way to really make it work is flying around with power to engines on all the time.

June 13, 2017, 11:06 p.m.

Oh my.

The light artillery has exactly the same max range as all other artilleries; namely 7km. It's substantially faster than the other two, making it decent at getting around quickly. And you clearly haven't tried Bomb Catapult launched from under a 'vette or another light ship; it's an amazing combo with Dive Maneuver or Mobile Cloak.

Again, it already has the exact same range as the other artilleries. It also has an advantage on being able to fire at enemies in any direction, not just those in front of it, which is actually a very useful trait.

Again, you clearly haven't tried a point-blank bomb catapult. It does not need boosted damage, and the cloak is already plenty long enough for smart use.

Yeah, the main weapon damage is a bit iffy. The cruiser used to fire a bit slower (not as slow as the others) and did more damage to compensate. When they modified it to boost RoF and lowered damage per shot, they didn't take into account the fact that it would be reloading more often. I don't know if that's still the case, but it probably is.

I could see the speed getting a slight buff, but it wouldn't be much. Power to engines makes you fly at a good clip.

Honestly, I've found this ship substantially more corvette-y than the corvette in recruit. People just don't realize how powerful it secretly is >_>

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.