FORUMS

On grind.

Posted: //
June 9, 2017, 9:46 a.m.

Well I've seen some post saying this game is very grindy. I have to say I disagree.

It's taken me 32 hours and 21 minuets to unlock and buy all T3 ships, I played recruit the whole time(only 3 Vet matches queued for by mistake), so I don't see what the complaints are about. I know Veteran matches are a pain if you lose dew to maintenance taking your credits. Once that is fixed I still don't see a grind at all.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 11600K @ 3.9GHz|32GB Corsair Vengunce RGP SL Pro 3600mHz|MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Plus|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Corsair TX 650W|Win11 Pro X64| Corsair Spec Delta Case|

Dreadnought Support tool | Customer Support | Rookie Helping Hand Manuel

June 9, 2017, 10:33 a.m.

Yes, good job. Tier 3 is meaningless since you will always be matched with Tier 4. Go and spend another 200 hours to unlock a full set of tier 4s and tell us there's no grind.

June 9, 2017, 11:10 a.m.

Updated //
June 9, 2017, 11:13 a.m.

Brother Belial#4215 posted (#post-124066)

Well I've seen some post saying this game is very grindy. I have to say I disagree.

You might of seen my post, but if not here is the approximate grind time in all its glory.

roughly 800k is roughly 100 hours (I'll have to actually test my income over a couple hours tomorrow if no one beats me to it). 100 hours for 1 t5 ship with mods you want, if you want officer briefings then you need 3 more t4 ships. So let's say 250k for each t4 to get the ship and mods.
Totally optimized using straight line tiers and fleet payments and rotating through the ships you're using with a focus on the one going for t5 resulting in your t5 maxing and t4s hitting officer briefs all at the same time..... roughly 127 hours. Another 153 to get the remaining 3 t4s to t5 loaded. But on the bright side if you go for all 4 at the same time straight to t5 it's only a paltry total of ..... drum roll please....
..... 262 Hours!

Getting a t3 fleet doesn't take very long but as Ananym said, its pretty useless since you'll get stomped by any decent player in t4. Also the t4 and t5 ships and mods increase in price by a ridiculous amount with basically no increase in income.

Edit:
This is a pretty rough approximation so if anyone has more accurate numbers or even just slightly better math skills feel free to update it.

June 9, 2017, 3:46 p.m.

So you guys are basicly complaining that you have to play the game? I've played MMO's where it can take months to get the stiff you want. I really don't mind it. If it was too easy people would complain they have everything and the lower divisions would be empty too quickly.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 11600K @ 3.9GHz|32GB Corsair Vengunce RGP SL Pro 3600mHz|MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Plus|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Corsair TX 650W|Win11 Pro X64| Corsair Spec Delta Case|

June 9, 2017, 5:55 p.m.

Brother Belial#4215 posted (#post-124127)

So you guys are basicly complaining that you have to play the game? I've played MMO's where it can take months to get the stiff you want. I really don't mind it. If it was too easy people would complain they have everything and the lower divisions would be empty too quickly.

I think people would have less of a problem with it if you weren't punished for grinding, ie. having to use T2/T3 ships against T4's. If it were like, say, War Thunder, where every tier is wholly separated, people would never being fighting ships that are above them in stats and would stand more of a chance to get better rewards. Low tier ship = less kills =less rewards, smaller chance of winning the match. This is especially notable in Veteran where you can get slapped with maintenance or be shoved in as a T2 and stand little to no chance.

Personally I think that if we're going to have tiers, Dreadnought should have only 3, one each for Recruit, Veteran, and Legendary.

Spork's Guide to the Fulgora and Medusa

Medusa and Murometz gameplay

June 9, 2017, 7:35 p.m.

Mercenary9653#7438 posted (#post-124082)

You might of seen my post, but if not here is the approximate grind time in all its glory.

roughly 800k is roughly 100 hours (I'll have to actually test my income over a couple hours tomorrow if no one beats me to it). 100 hours for 1 t5 ship with mods you want, if you want officer briefings then you need 3 more t4 ships. So let's say 250k for each t4 to get the ship and mods.
Totally optimized using straight line tiers and fleet payments and rotating through the ships you're using with a focus on the one going for t5 resulting in your t5 maxing and t4s hitting officer briefs all at the same time..... roughly 127 hours. Another 153 to get the remaining 3 t4s to t5 loaded. But on the bright side if you go for all 4 at the same time straight to t5 it's only a paltry total of ..... drum roll please....
..... 262 Hours!

Getting a t3 fleet doesn't take very long but as Ananym said, its pretty useless since you'll get stomped by any decent player in t4. Also the t4 and t5 ships and mods increase in price by a ridiculous amount with basically no increase in income.

Edit:
This is a pretty rough approximation so if anyone has more accurate numbers or even just slightly better math skills feel free to update it.

Why bother unlocking T5 though? Just longer queue times and higher maintenance cost, all with less chances of winning a match. Just unlocking 4 T4 ships and playing in veteran bracket with them against T2 players who don't know how to exclude their recruit fleet from the veteran MM should be counted as finishing the game imo.

June 10, 2017, 4:33 a.m.

Spork#2479 posted (#post-124149)

I think people would have less of a problem with it if you weren't punished for grinding, ie. having to use T2/T3 ships against T4's. If it were like, say, War Thunder, where every tier is wholly separated, people would never being fighting ships that are above them in stats and would stand more of a chance to get better rewards. Low tier ship = less kills =less rewards, smaller chance of winning the match. This is especially notable in Veteran where you can get slapped with maintenance or be shoved in as a T2 and stand little to no chance.

Personally I think that if we're going to have tiers, Dreadnought should have only 3, one each for Recruit, Veteran, and Legendary.

Or have a division per T. Say Novice, Recrute, hardened, veteran, legendary.

June 10, 2017, 5:13 a.m.

About grinding, t4 ships take some time, at least a month of playing to have some of them, t5 take a lot of time every single one, and doenst even look to be worth.

About matchmaking, just play recruit with t2 and veteran with t3, not a big deal, enough balanced, if you run into a same ship class than yours but with a tier abobe and complain for losing the 1 v 1 well... thats your problem, if you play a veteran on a t3 and focus on teamplay theres no problem, you are usefull.
for the one who said war thunder, i have only played tanks, but the difference between first and last tank on a tier is bigger than the tier difference here, and the maintainance cost is almost the whole income of a game.

June 10, 2017, 11:36 p.m.

If Dreadnought was an MMO with a large open universe full of RPG elements than yes I could completely understand it taking months to get everything I want, but it isn't. It is an arcade style third person shooter. As it currently stands if you received 2000 experience for your main ship and 350 for the 4 other ships in your fleet (after paying maintenance), got 4 matches every hour and rotated through them all to provide the fastest leveling possible..... It would take you roughly 882 hours to get all 15 ships to tier 5. To provide some context, that is 441 days of 2 hours a day, or about 1 year 2 1/2 months.
Would you expect Call of Duty or Battlefield to make you play that long just to unlock the guns and equipment? Because let's make no mistake, we are not playing EVE or WoW or anything remotely close to that, this is a simple third person shooter with a neat skin.
Don't get me wrong, I was so excited when I first heard about this game and I really do enjoy the gameplay (at least the parts that aren't horribly broken) but I think the entire tier system is broken and I know a majority of the community agrees.

P.S. For anyone debating on Elite status, it will only cut that time down to 588 hours.

June 12, 2017, 7:50 a.m.

Mercenary9653#7438 posted (#post-124291)

If Dreadnought was an MMO with a large open universe full of RPG elements than yes I could completely understand it taking months to get everything I want, but it isn't. It is an arcade style third person shooter. As it currently stands if you received 2000 experience for your main ship and 350 for the 4 other ships in your fleet (after paying maintenance), got 4 matches every hour and rotated through them all to provide the fastest leveling possible..... It would take you roughly 882 hours to get all 15 ships to tier 5. To provide some context, that is 441 days of 2 hours a day, or about 1 year 2 1/2 months.
Would you expect Call of Duty or Battlefield to make you play that long just to unlock the guns and equipment? Because let's make no mistake, we are not playing EVE or WoW or anything remotely close to that, this is a simple third person shooter with a neat skin.
Don't get me wrong, I was so excited when I first heard about this game and I really do enjoy the gameplay (at least the parts that aren't horribly broken) but I think the entire tier system is broken and I know a majority of the community agrees.

P.S. For anyone debating on Elite status, it will only cut that time down to 588 hours.

So they want there game to last longer than than 6 months people get board and stop playing, you know this is a free to play game. I'm not a massive fan of the system, but I understand why it is the way it is.

Free to play game boil down to this time/money.

If you want things you put in the time, or you spend the money. now if I had put down money first to buy the game, yeah, things would need to change. But as it stands The Dev's owe us nothing when it comes to the unlocking of the ships. They need people playing, to keep the divisions active, and the more people that are playing the more chance that some will buy stuff, be it decorations for there ships, Hero ships, or to convert XP to free XP etc.

Now if you progress too fast, then you hit T5 max the ships you like to play out and never spend a penny again, if you did at all.

So maybe now you can see why things are the way they are. The Devs have to get paid, and who knows things might change, the game is in beta after all.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.