FORUMS

PlayStation 4 Controller Optimization

Posted: //
June 17, 2017, 12:26 a.m.

Updated //
June 17, 2017, 5:36 a.m.

On the PlayStation four controller layout has some functionality issues. Namely with the touchpad controls making it difficult for you to use the energy wheel and short commands in the way they are meant to be used. Since this is the closed beta and I feel this is the best time to address this concern, I had a few recommendations to suggest to help resolve this problem. Be warned this will be a wall of text, if you share the same concerns please read on and let me know what you think would be the best solution, if not then save yourself from reading my rant.

So first I want to talk about the root of the problem, which in my opinion is the touchpads inability to correctly interpret shorts wipes made on the touchpad accurately. This has happened to me on several occasions (it's frustrating turning on speed rather than shields in the middle of a fight), and makes it much more difficult to properly manage energy. When I stop to look at the touchpad issues it seems much of the problem derives from the fact that it is both the energy wheel and short commands functionality are mapped to the touch pad. My solution is simple, remove both functionality from the touchpad. Now while this might seem drastic, I believe that it would be better to map the energy wheel to the D pad which would eliminate the possibility of prioritizing the wrong system. At the same time I believe switching the scoreboard functionality and weapons changing functionality to the touchpad would be more effective. The change would be simple pressure right to change weapons, press left to change weapons, and press the middle to see the scoreboard. Now while it might seem like we're removing a lot of functionality from the game I'll explain where we can put the other functions in a way that I believe will not only resolve the current issues but make the game more controller friendly.

One thing I noticed about the controller layout on PS4 is that the L3 and R3 (clicking the left and right sticks down) controls are not mapped at the moment. It seems to me that it would make sense to move the short commands list to the left stick in a way where the menu opens after you click L3 and after you highlight the command it will be instantly selected, in order to limit any problems with affecting movement. This will not only make the system more accessible during combat but also improve the accuracy of your selection because the stick is much more controllable then swiping, making it easier to call out to teammates on the fly. And for the right stick R3, I would give it the reload functionality previously seen on the D pad, I don't believe this will inconvenience the player too much as they simply need to push the stick down to reload the active weapon much like it works currently.

Anyways that's just my two cents on how to optimize the game for PlayStation users. I'd love to hear some input on other possible control changes, and who knows maybe will see new controller profiles for us in the future.

July 17, 2017, 8:22 p.m.

Ich totalLy agree but i Would Prefer the Energy wheel to the Direction Buttons switch weapons l3 and reload press touchpad ,r3 and stick Group Company wheel

Aug. 3, 2017, 11:40 p.m.

totally agree touch pad is garbage, put the energy selection on dpad and reload as a right click on the touch pad, weapon swap as left click on touch pad, long swipe to access commands and long press for scoreboard

totally agree touch pad is garbage, put the energy selection on dpad and reload as a right click on the touch pad, weapon swap as left click on touch pad, long swipe to access commands and long press for scoreboard

Updated //
Aug. 3, 2017, 11:41 p.m.

laggy posting.. how do you delete? lol

Aug. 4, 2017, 12:01 a.m.

I like the IDEA of the touchpad energy controls but 50% of the time my input is incorrectly interpreted.

I like R3 for reload. A lot.

I really hate that I always get the score screen when I try to change to secondary weapons and my fat fingers miss the correct button. smile

Software Engineering: Where quality is job 1.1

Aug. 4, 2017, 2:22 a.m.

Kalter Stahl#1918 posted (#post-130386)

laggy posting.. how do you delete? lol

By not pressing "POST" 3 times smile

Dreadnought Support Tool | Customer Support | Dreadnought Discord | Ship Datamine - by Snib

Aug. 6, 2017, 3:29 p.m.

Energy controls should be on the D-pad on ps4

Or better yet, all actions should be user-definable to whatever keys you want

Aug. 6, 2017, 8:56 p.m.

Yes please, that would be great changing the controller setup.... i hope devs read your suggestion.

Aug. 8, 2017, 4:34 p.m.

Agreed. Touchpad is not working well. Please utilize R3/L3 for reload and scoreboard, D-PAD for energy selections. I always accidentally hit the scoreboard. It takes away all my controls and I come to a stop. This has happened way too many time. Just make it a push and hold instead of toggle. If you do nothing else, at the very least make the scoreboard a hold, so when I do accidentally hit it it will go away instantly.

Touchpad needs work as well, but seems we could use R3/L3 for some mapping as well. Thanks!

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.