FORUMS

CORVETTE: most OP class of ANY Space Shooter!

Posted: //
June 23, 2017, 8:32 a.m.

DanielAlex#7337 posted (#post-125746)
Just because it is possible to kill a Corvette doesn´t mean that it is balanced.

I am getting the feeling that some of the Corvette-Supporters wouldn´t even see a Corvette as OP if it had 200,000 hp, because sure, thats a lot of hp, but if your team just focuses properly, calls out targets and you equip your ship only with anti-Corvette modules, it may only kill half of your team! Perfectly balanced!

Corvettes aren´t balanced just because they are not immortal.

I think you are missing the point. We are not saying that corvettes are balanced because "it is possible to kill them", we are saying they are balanced because it is just as easy to kill them as it is for them to kill you; because hey, that's actually true, if not in favor of you killing them with the appropriate response to the threat.

My "support" for the current state of corvettes is based on a few hours of flying them, and many, many hours of crushing them. My experience tells me that corvettes are really easy to kill, and that they are in a good spot because of that. Buffing them would make them overpowered, but nerfing them would make them useless; ergo, balanced.

June 23, 2017, 8:50 a.m.

DanielAlex#7337 posted (#post-125746)
This is quite a lot to ask from a new player who just installed Dreadnought for the first time.

And regarding the rest of your post:

Just because it is possible to kill a Corvette doesn´t mean that it is balanced.

You seems missed the last part in my post

Oh and, if you not heed those SIMPLE rules. You not gonna be bad just against vettes, in veteran matches you gonna be bad with ANY class vs EVERY class (including same class you using).

June 23, 2017, 8:58 a.m.

Lymceh#8349 posted (#post-125758)
I think you are missing the point. We are not saying that corvettes are balanced because "it is possible to kill them", we are saying they are balanced because it is just as easy to kill them as it is for them to kill you; because hey, that's actually true, if not in favor of you killing them with the appropriate response to the threat.

My "support" for the current state of corvettes is based on a few hours of flying them, and many, many hours of crushing them. My experience tells me that corvettes are really easy to kill, and that they are in a good spot because of that. Buffing them would make them overpowered, but nerfing them would make them useless; ergo, balanced.

Since I play Tac most of the time, I have spend hours crushing corvettes too. It is not unusuall for me to end a match with not a single death, even if my team was completely destroyed.
But this was in veteran matches.

My criticsm on corvettes is based on playing the T2 light corvette. I feeled so OP with this thing, that I often made mistakes on purpose just to not ruin new players experiences.

You have to differentiate between higher and lower Tiers when discussing corvettes. Otherwise both sides of the discussion will talk about different topics without noticing.

I am willingly to accept that the corvette is balanced in higher Tiers, even though I demanded nerfs for the corvette for all Tiers previously. I do not demand nerfs for the high-tier corvette anymore.
But I expect from you to try to understand the situation the corvette is in at lower Tiers.

June 23, 2017, 9:10 a.m.

Redwyrm#3695 posted (#post-125761)
You seems missed the last part in my post

Oh and, if you not heed those SIMPLE rules. You not gonna be bad just against vettes, in veteran matches you gonna be bad with ANY class vs EVERY class (including same class you using).

Do you really ask new players to instantainously understand the game machanics as soon as they start playing?

For experienced players, these are simple rules. For unexperienced players, they are not. They demand an amount of multitasking, situational awareness and tactical planning new players simply don´t have yet.

Games should be encouraging and fair to new players, not like "follow these rules we have never told you or you will die all the time". A game should demand more skill the further you progress, but it should not demand to much from new players.

In veteran matches, most players understand and follow these rules, but you can not expect this to be the case for unexperienced players.

June 23, 2017, 9:29 a.m.

DanielAlex#7337 posted (#post-125768)

Do you really ask new players to instantainously understand the game machanics as soon as they start playing?

For experienced players, these are simple rules. For unexperienced players, they are not. They demand an amount of multitasking, situational awareness and tactical planning new players simply don´t have yet.

And how exactly you think it become simple, and how new player become veterans?
You either learn it by yourself, or at very least, if you feel that you not doing well but can do better - seek help in internet about tactics and such.
There is no: "Oh i'll just keep playing as noob, and eventually i'll just become veteran... somehow".

June 23, 2017, 9:41 a.m.

Redwyrm#3695 posted (#post-125771)
And how exactly you think it become simple, and how new player become veterans?
You either learn it by yourself, or at very least, if you feel that you not doing well but can do better - seek help in internet about tactics and such.
There is no: "Oh i'll just keep playing as noob, and eventually i'll just become veteran... somehow".

There is a difference between how harsh the entry to a game can be. Corvettes make starting Dreadnought to hard IMO.
And I think that there are many players agreeing with me judging by the amount of "Corvettes are OP" posts in the forums.
These posts are mostly made by new players who are just frustated with how hard Dreadnought is for beginners. Corvettes are one reason behind this.

Corvettes are fine at higher Tiers, but at lower Tiers, they are the reason behind ruining the game experience for many new players.

As there is no "I'll just become veteran... somehow", you do not start as a veteran either. You have to learn the game mechanics. This takes time. And it is not good to have something like corvettes that pushs to many new players to give up to early.

June 23, 2017, 10:01 a.m.

Updated //
June 23, 2017, 10:01 a.m.

As DanielAlex has said, Corvettes are really problematic in Lower tier games.
When the beginners jump into game they want to deal damage, shoot big guns, they dont care about anything else. All of them have 1 big weakness - Tunnel vision. they cant see anything but their target. Even if one of them spots the corvette and asks for help, others either dont react or react when it`s too late.

All in all there`s 0 teamwork. (even 0 is too much,i cant count how many times my allies blocked my escape rout while under fire smile)

June 23, 2017, 10:47 a.m.

Hm... well, maybe then it worth put heavy corvette as tier-2? Its slow and even harder to use properly than light corvette.
And make light corvette first unlockable as tier-3.
Obviously some more experienced player still will be able to wreak havoc even with "underpowered" as tier-2 heavy vettes, still...

June 23, 2017, 10:57 a.m.

Redwyrm#3695 posted (#post-125793)

Hm... well, maybe then it worth put heavy corvette as tier-2? Its slow and even harder to use properly than light corvette.
And make light corvette first unlockable as tier-3.
Obviously some more experienced player still will be able to wreak havoc even with "underpowered" as tier-2 heavy vettes, still...

I like this suggestion. The heavy corvette not only wouldn´t be able to crush new players as the light corvette, but also it serves the "massive firepower" new players expect better.
Only problem I am seeing with this is that the heavy corvette is quite different from the other corvettes and could give a false impression. But to be honest, thats the case for every corvette.

An experienced player can always easily destroy unexperienced ones. It is the task of the matchmaking to seperate new and veteran players and the task of the progression system to make playing higher tiers rewarding enough to keep them from even entering lower tier battles. (Although you could argue on how they currently are at this.)

So problem solved, I guess? Just make the heavy corvette the T2 corvette? I hope so, these discussions on balancing can be very exhausting...

June 23, 2017, 11:06 a.m.

DanielAlex#7337 posted (#post-125764)

You have to differentiate between higher and lower Tiers when discussing corvettes. Otherwise both sides of the discussion will talk about different topics without noticing.

I am willingly to accept that the corvette is balanced in higher Tiers, even though I demanded nerfs for the corvette for all Tiers previously. I do not demand nerfs for the high-tier corvette anymore.

You have my respect for recognizing the difference, which most people don't do.

Regarding Corvettes in T2, I don't think they're inherently unbalanced but there is a problem with them. That being... new players are bad. Half of the T2 ships (and plenty of T3's frankly) don't even pull up their shields when I'm attacking, despite being at full energy. Sometimes I can just waltz up behind them uncloaked, although that's a problem with more than just Recruits.

I don't think the game should be balanced around newbs, because that's lame, but in this case the Dover probably does need adjustment. All the counters in the world wouldn't work in T2 because new players don't even know to glance at the minimap or look around. Recruit is a sad, sad situation. It's especially sad when you consider that Veterans will go down into Recruit just to farm credits because Maintenance is so awful.

Spork's Guide to the Fulgora and Medusa

Medusa and Murometz gameplay

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.