FORUMS

Hi, noob here with a noob question

Posted: //
July 17, 2017, 7:47 p.m.

Updated //
July 17, 2017, 8:22 p.m.

Missile lock.

Sometimes I'm just flying casually, and some smartass crewman says "Sir, we got a weapons lock!"
And there's no ship to be seen, nothing in my sights, nothing in the radar. But if i let them loose, they don't seem to be hitting anything. Are they stopped by terrain or countermeasures, or did they just fly into empty space? I don't know

So my question would be: How is missile lock achieved? Do I have to be aiming at a ship, or does it just lock on the first thing that comes into range, even if it's cloaked or behind terrain?

Thanks for reading

Addditional question: Is shooting at incoming missiles with primary/secondary weapon any good?

July 17, 2017, 10:42 p.m.

Updated //
July 17, 2017, 10:43 p.m.

Your reticle may have passed over a viable target, even if you didn't notice. It could've been anything from an opposing ship, hangar bay fighters, or an npc ship if you happened to be in Onslaught. If the target's in range and you have a weapons lock (your module will go green), then missiles will track all the way to their target barring any physical obstacles. Depending on the type of missiles too, this may be extremely fast (preferable), or take a month and a half to reach their target.

Also, shooting at missiles does nothing. They're not destructible in that sense. You need anti-missile modules to destroy them.

July 18, 2017, 5:38 a.m.

Thank you

July 22, 2017, 6:38 p.m.

Updated //
July 22, 2017, 6:39 p.m.

The best way to make sure your munitions home to a specific target it to make sure the aim crosshair is on the desired target AND the particular module icon is green on that target. What I mean by this is that, when you aim at an enemy little module icons will also show up on that enemy along with their HP, name, tier, etc. If no lock is acquired then all these icons will be grey, but if a lock is acquired then the icon will be green.

If you fire your module when you see the icon is green on the actual enemy target, then your munitions will home to that target.

From that point, various obstacles and countermeasures can block the munitions from hitting, but at least you know that they definitely set off for the desired target.

The above is also applicable to various team buffs, e.g., weaponbooster pulse. When you see a friendly ship it will also have the 4 module icons. When the weaponbooster pulse icon, on the friendly, is green it means that particular friendly will recieve a weapon boost when you trigger the module.

So, the module icons you see at the top left of your screen simply indicate if something (enemy or friendly) is in range of that effect. Whereas, the module icons on targetted ships tell you that a particular module will effect that specific ship.

July 23, 2017, 12:04 p.m.

Thanks a lot gentlemen

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.