FORUMS

Dreadnought Lore? What is Dreadnoughts past?

Posted: //
Sept. 1, 2016, 7:50 p.m.

Updated //
Sept. 2, 2016, 6:15 p.m.

So I was wondering what the Transhuman war was. It is mentioned in the game several times, from battle areas and ships that are created, but what happened? It probably will be revealed once the game gets closer to release, but I am wondering what people think happened. From some of the mentioned ships, it sounds like either an advance human race either decedent of earth or humanity from another place, had powerful ships that some of the ships of the game are developed from. What really perked my interest, was the mention of the hero ship Outis, which apparently was a bio-ship, as it speaks in its lore that it had biological armor before it died. It used to be owned by Oberon, which I believe was a Transhuman, but that might mean that the idea that transhumans are not from earth, as I feel that Earth based humanity doesn't have access to biological space travel. So who where the transhumans?

Sept. 1, 2016, 8:34 p.m.

Updated //
Sept. 1, 2016, 9 p.m.

My theory on this is the following:

I think that the transhumans may have been colonists originally from our solar system that left in search of new worlds. Years later the colonists return, having merged with their technology (e.g. becoming bioships and/or consciousnesses that inhabit organic technology). Transhumans may have been created through natural evolution in deep space (e.g. merging with their tech to survive) or alien intervention/discovery of alien technology.

The transhumans were likely attempting to get humanity to abandon their bodies and "transcend" like they did. These conversions were not well accepted by normal humans or may have been forced by the transhumans. This culture difference lead to the transhuman war.

To fight the transhumans, the normal humans of the Sol system banded together to form the Pan Colonial Fleet (PCF). Throughout the war, the PCF was backboned by the three major R&D powers. The military Jupiter Arms factory, the Akula Megacorporation, and the private House Oberon (who specialized in researching transhuman technology and turning the enemy's weapons against them).

At the apex of the war, the transhumans realized that their former humans brethren would never embrace transhuman ascension. The transhumans ended the war by leaving the Sol system and taking a large majority of their technology with them. This trapped the lower tech normal humans within the Sol system due to an inability to make long-distance warp jumps to other star systems.

Remnants of transhuman technology persisted after the war, likely sparking micro-conflicts. Following the transhuman war, the human political powers likely began to turn on each other in order to grab as much influence over the Sol territories as possible. The most powerful houses banded together to create a solar empire and began using the PCF as a private military to subdue independent colonies that opposed them.

This began the Great Solar War between the PCF backed imperial houses and a coalition of independents. The Great Solar War ended with the empire's victory. This left the majority of the Sol system under the control of the empire and forced fleeing independents to scatter to the belt and frontiers of space.

Due to disagreement with the empire's power hungry ways, some captains like Bix defected from the tarnished PCF and created the Sinley Bay mercenaries. During the war effort, these disagreements led to legendary battles like the defecting Morningstar vs. the PCF aligned Huscarl.

In the current timeline of the game, Sinley Bay is like the tortuga of space. Fringe groups like the radical church of entropy, slaver's ring, etc. skirmish against each other and the empire at the same time. This has created a very lucrative business for mercenaries like the ones that gather in Sinley Bay. The three major R&D factions still pump out weapons and ships, supporting anyone that wants to point a plasma cannon at someone they hate.

The players are Sinley Bay mercenaries, taking jobs from the various groups that are fighting with their neighbors over resources while trying not get swallowed up by the empire and it's PCF watchdogs.

The Transhumans are likely in another system, their presence faint as they watch the current timeline unfold from a distance using their advanced technology. They may come and intervene of the inhabitants of Sol uncover a remnant of their technology that they believe the low tech humans shouldn't have (such as a warp drive that lets humans leave the Sol system, I think that they are pretty happy with us barbarians being contained).

Sept. 1, 2016, 11:13 p.m.

Updated //
Sept. 2, 2016, 12:48 a.m.

[UrQuan#6336]
I like this explanation. Perhaps we might see some transhuman ships that are actually bio-ships in the future. That would be amazing to see and play as.

Sept. 2, 2016, 6:14 p.m.

More people need to post.

Sept. 6, 2016, 8:45 p.m.

UrQuan#6336 posted (#post-43489)

My theory on this is the following:

I think that the transhumans may have been colonists originally from our solar system that left in search of new worlds. Years later the colonists return, having merged with their technology (e.g. becoming bioships and/or consciousnesses that inhabit organic technology). Transhumans may have been created through natural evolution in deep space (e.g. merging with their tech to survive) or alien intervention/discovery of alien technology.

The transhumans were likely attempting to get humanity to abandon their bodies and "transcend" like they did. These conversions were not well accepted by normal humans or may have been forced by the transhumans. This culture difference lead to the transhuman war.

To fight the transhumans, the normal humans of the Sol system banded together to form the Pan Colonial Fleet (PCF). Throughout the war, the PCF was backboned by the three major R&D powers. The military Jupiter Arms factory, the Akula Megacorporation, and the private House Oberon (who specialized in researching transhuman technology and turning the enemy's weapons against them).

At the apex of the war, the transhumans realized that their former humans brethren would never embrace transhuman ascension. The transhumans ended the war by leaving the Sol system and taking a large majority of their technology with them. This trapped the lower tech normal humans within the Sol system due to an inability to make long-distance warp jumps to other star systems.

I'm not so sure that the transhumans would have tried forcing transcendence/technological singularity on the rest of the Sol system; I personally find it more likely that the transhumans started parseling out some goodies, but then the rest of Sol got greedy and tried to take it by force. This prompts the Transhuman war, wherein they (the transhumans) decide to leave but have to conduct a series of fighting retreats and perhaps even a few offensive campaigns in order to keep as much of their stuff in their own hands as they possibly can.

OR

The Great Solar War and the Transhuman War are one and the same; people start getting froggy with each other (and the transhumans), and eventually it blows up into full-scale war. At some point the transhumans decide to simply bail, conduct their fighting retreats to get all their stuff together and then away, at which point the rest of the system goes into the remains of the GSW.

Feb. 20, 2017, 9:50 p.m.

Honestly if you ask me the lore in game it's sounds a lot like Gundam and the war between pure humans and Coordinator's biologically enhanced humans that are superior in every way to normal humans.

Transhuman is most likely something similar to coordinator.

Feb. 21, 2017, 8:18 a.m.

So the story is not "new" , the Egenics Wars from star trek and Khan Noonien Singh as genetically engineered superintelligent and super strong superhuman :p , the Gundam , and many othere versions of super smart humans fighting normal humans

Feb. 21, 2017, 12:39 p.m.

Yeah, the basic.
It would be nice to be able to have a rela war going on and be able to pick your side on a sort of "global warfare" map.
A bit like they do in For Honor.

"Information is Ammunition." - A guy who watched too much Battletech.

Feb. 23, 2017, 5:04 p.m.

To me the "Lore" - or the sad excuse for one - of dreadnought is the biggest turnoff in the game. So im the commander of giant battleships, hundreds if not thousands of crewmembers look to me for leadership and livelihood, and I'm a smalltime mercenary? And then there's this dude saying "Let's find you a job." In a tone that makes me want to take out my dreadnought and bombard his puny little station to kingdom come. Seriously???

This had so much potential! Warring factions! Fighting for supremacy! Pick a side and lead it to victory against the other ones! But no. The dude in charge of backstory was probably a part-time single dad who hadn't slept a wink in 72 hours and went like "Scrap it, let's just say they're mercenaries. This way anything goes. I need to get home." Then went ahead and made up the single most ridiculous story I have ever heard of and reduced what could have been a great game to an okay game.

Get your act together.

F*ckSinleyBay

Feb. 23, 2017, 6:16 p.m.

KaraMon#0559 posted (#post-109198)

So the story is not "new" , the Egenics Wars from star trek and Khan Noonien Singh as genetically engineered superintelligent and super strong superhuman :p , the Gundam , and many othere versions of super smart humans fighting normal humans
KaraMon#0559 posted (#post-109198)

I had the same thought too. Probably a bunch of colonists broke off from the earth government and through genetic engineering made themselves transhuman. Thus the Earth government saw then as a threat. Something would then spark the conflict like an assassination or whatever. War ensues. Not the most original concept, but the way the devs are heading with this game it was probably considered unimportant. Just some fluff to make the game easier to immerse yourself into without putting much thought into it.

Strafing can work on console!

https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/60148/

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.