FORUMS

Developer Update - September Megathread

Posted: //
Sept. 13, 2016, 7:32 p.m.

I love the 8v8 change idea. 3 man squads in randoms is fine, if people want to organize it would not be that hard to add a ranked queue/mode that pairs you up with other large coordinated teams.

There would definitely need to be some balancing, especially to corvettes. 8 corvette zerg spamming blast pulse is horrifying to think about.

Sept. 13, 2016, 7:36 p.m.

Updated //
Sept. 13, 2016, 7:38 p.m.

UrQuan#6336 posted (#post-44366)
There would definitely need to be some balancing, especially to corvettes. 8 corvette zerg spamming blast pulse is horrifying to think about.

I raise you 8 tacs with armored lockdown and their own blast pulse... possibly with nuke mines.
Or even better, mixed with dreadnoughts with armor amp / armor booster pulse.

Sept. 13, 2016, 7:44 p.m.

Lymceh#8349 posted (#post-44367)

I raise you 8 tacs with armored lockdown and their own blast pulse... possibly with nuke mines.

That isn't actually that bad, everyone just switch to artillery smile

Sept. 13, 2016, 8:10 p.m.

I'm predominantly a solo player, so the team size changes are very welcome. Your average PUG has close to 0 chance against even a mildly competent team with voice comms, so this should help even the playing field a little.

As for the team size changes, it will be interesting to see how some ships fare against the collectively increased DPS that will be thrown around. I'm wondering if Dreads will need even more support than usual to survive on the front lines.

Nice changes smile

Sept. 13, 2016, 8:24 p.m.

Updated //
Sept. 13, 2016, 8:26 p.m.

UrQuan#6336 posted (#post-44368)

Lymceh#8349 posted (#post-44367)

That isn't actually that bad, everyone just switch to artillery smile

I was more saying in response to 8 corvettes smile
I'd be somewhat surprised to see 8 BP corvettes come out on top of 8 tacs with armor and BP/nuke

Sept. 14, 2016, 1:01 a.m.

Updated //
Sept. 14, 2016, 1:01 a.m.

Just for the record... I think the idea of locking squads to 3 is absurd in a supposedly team based game. It pretty much ruins any plans for serious competitive play. I understand it makes things pleasant for randoms and solo players. This just makes me think you should have separate hoppers. One for solo players. One for squads.

The other thing this tells me is you couldn't find a way for match making to actually work. So you just chopped squads up. Again the end game meta of 5 v 5 premades was quite amazing. I was really looking forward to 8 v 8 premade battles.

To bad that's now impossible. I've heard word that this is just a temporary fix for the beta problems. If that's the case... that's fine. The only problem with that is the meta will be a bad representation for the final product. Either way if you want to forever go forward with this separated system where you must play with random players. I'm done. This is not the game I played back in the alpha and not the game I want to play in the future. I'm here for team work. Not to carry some random guys I can't control.

Sept. 14, 2016, 3:50 a.m.

I also think this is a polarizing change. It strengthens the casual / random gameplay while weakens the (competitive) teamplay.
There (release version) should be a casual game mode (8vs8, squad of 3) and a "ranked" mode for competetive play (8vs8, squad of 8 or 5vs5, squad of 5).
But even this suggestion doesn't seem to be optimal because of a different gameplay in casual and ranked.

This is a real hot thing. They have to change something because 5 randoms against a 5 man squad sucks. But if you are a teamplayer then a 3 man squad in a 8 man team is too small for real teamplay.

Sept. 14, 2016, 7:34 a.m.

Team size of 8 is great. I am all for this change and looking forward to try it soon.

Sept. 14, 2016, 7:56 a.m.

nebukatze#7749 posted (#post-44386)

I also think this is a polarizing change. It strengthens the casual / random gameplay while weakens the (competitive) teamplay.
There (release version) should be a casual game mode (8vs8, squad of 3) and a "ranked" mode for competetive play (8vs8, squad of 8 or 5vs5, squad of 5).
But even this suggestion doesn't seem to be optimal because of a different gameplay in casual and ranked.

This is a real hot thing. They have to change something because 5 randoms against a 5 man squad sucks. But if you are a teamplayer then a 3 man squad in a 8 man team is too small for real teamplay.

I think having a separate queue on release for competitive play is fine. Gameplay should be different between casual and ranked play. What is important is that balance supports both and that the game remains fun.

With the game releasing as F2P, at this point it is important to cater to casuals and new joiners to make sure the new gameplay experience is as fun as it can be. 8v8 is a step towards this.

Starting ships need to be balanced carefully and offer alot of versatility to new players who prefer different playstyles and need to be exposed to alot of basic tactic choices early.

As players graduate in skill to start seeking clans and ranked matches, the gameplay and future ship unlocks should advance into more skill-based/tactical/out of the box type strategies. Higher tier ships should be higher risk but have more rewards when paired with stronger supports.

Some of this is already baked into design, examples being the Monarch -which is a powerful ship when supported by a skilled healer but is weak when lone wolfing against artillery cruisers. The Koschei is another example, which offers the best healing in the game but will cause a full fleet wipe if killed/not given fleet cover and is unable to quickly get back into the battle if taking armored lockdown instead of target warp.

Sept. 14, 2016, 8:23 a.m.

My only concerns are about not being able to rest and regenerate hull bar in smaller maps becacuse enemy ships will be present everywhere. We'll see how it goes. Looking forward to try it.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.