FORUMS

Map height / geometry

Posted: //
Aug. 1, 2015, 11:59 a.m.

In the videos, everyone tends to play wack a mole, and only goes up.

Are there any changes in the works, so to encourage people to use all the map. Especially on the planet ring.

Would be nice if the ice asteroids for example were to move slowly like in homeworld :)

Float like a Dreadnaught, sting like a sledgehammer.

Aug. 1, 2015, 4:02 p.m.

Updated //
Aug. 1, 2015, 4:02 p.m.

I believe the tendency to go up in gravity-less 3D combat is that we naturally think about only two dimensions, like in Naval combat, and thus we don't usually consider going down. I hope the map does include areas to take advantages of this, like an archway sort of thing up a mountain or building.

Spork's Guide to the Fulgora and Medusa

Medusa and Murometz gameplay

Aug. 1, 2015, 4:03 p.m.

Spork#2479 posted (#post-3890)

I believe the tendency to go up in gravity-less 3D combat is that we naturally think about only two dimensions, like in Naval combat, and thus we don't usually consider going down. I hope the map does include areas to take advantages of this, like an archway sort of thing under a mountain or building.

Spork's Guide to the Fulgora and Medusa

Medusa and Murometz gameplay

Aug. 1, 2015, 4:07 p.m.

I'm not sure about the placement of weapons on ships, but if all (or most of) the weapons are on the top, it might actually be better to be lower or descend often. That way all your weapons can shoot at an enemy, but they can't shoot at you.

Aug. 3, 2015, 5:02 a.m.

actually when i watched a couple of streams from the last pax i think? there were a lot of people going underneath some obstacles on a certain map to suprise people from below

time you enjoy wasting, is no wasted time

Aug. 3, 2015, 5:06 a.m.

Vertical geometry in Dreadnought's level design is actually one of the trickiest things to nail down properly. Too much of it and people tend to push into the vertical extremes well beyond level geometry. In addition the slow speed means climbing vertical structures a PITA especially if you have to do so constantly in a level. Another thing to keep in mind is that players generally have a difficult time moving and shooting at ships directly above or below.
Conversely, too little vertical geometry allows certain ships like snipers and dreadnoughts(loaded with missiles) to dominate.

We have some ideas planned for maps that take what we've learned and implement it into exciting levels. I can't wait to show some of it off :)

Nathan "nwood" Wood
Senior Level Designer, YAGER

Aug. 3, 2015, 6:30 a.m.

nwood#2177 posted (#post-3906)

Vertical geometry in Dreadnought's level design is actually one of the trickiest things to nail down properly. Too much of it and people tend to push into the vertical extremes well beyond level geometry. In addition the slow speed means climbing vertical structures a PITA especially if you have to do so constantly in a level. Another thing to keep in mind is that players generally have a difficult time moving and shooting at ships directly above or below.
Conversely, too little vertical geometry allows certain ships like snipers and dreadnoughts(loaded with missiles) to dominate.

We have some ideas planned for maps that take what we've learned and implement it into exciting levels. I can't wait to show some of it off :)

neither are we.Thank you for the information.Keep up the great job!

Dreadnought Wikia

Aug. 3, 2015, 4:09 p.m.

Thank you for the post, Nwood =)

Aug. 3, 2015, 5:06 p.m.

nwood#2177 posted (#post-3906)

thanks for the info, sounds sweet

"Do, or do not there is no try."
-Yoda
"Fear nothing.. Attack everything."
-Eric Berry

Aug. 9, 2015, 5:34 p.m.

Updated //
Aug. 9, 2015, 5:46 p.m.

Moving parts on a map are maybe somewhat hard to make, but would definitely add a lot of immersion as well as strategic and funny ways of developing tactics. Like maybe staying in the "shadow" of an asteroid like that ;)

But right, too much verticality puts smaller ships like Beamsnipers and Corvettes into a much better position, while a too flat map let's Rocketspam dominate and favors heavier ships.

I guess it always comes down to do the Split.

Might as well hire Jean Claude van Damme for that xD

Dreadnought - & - Tac. Cruiser

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. -5:40(!spoiler)

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.