FORUMS

Cruise Control would be a good addition to this game

Posted: //
Oct. 16, 2016, 2:46 a.m.

Updated //
Oct. 16, 2016, 2:48 a.m.

So a while back when I was new to this game, I argued that Dreadnought can use cruise control (I kept calling it "auto-throttle" then) in order to make the game better in terms of control and to improve quality-of-life for players. In the interim of waiting for Progression 2.0 though, I've been playing the competitor game to this one, namely Fractured Space, and that game perfectly illustrates what I desire out of such an addition.

For those wondering what cruise control is, in games it's basically the ability to toggle a vehicle's engines such that it moves forward without additional input: instead of holding down on the W key to keep the ship moving, you simply press a single button and the ship will move by itself, so all you need to worry about is your left-right (or additionally in games like these up-down) directional control. Both on paper and in practice, cruise control is a very good mechanic simply because it frees up player control from doing one of the most mundane yet tiring persistent inputs for when you need to move for more than 20 - 30 seconds at a time or longer. And for games like this where ships are slow and may sometimes take a while to get to the frontlines under their own power, being able to just set the ship to cruise to the battle without additional input can do wonders for keeping your fingers happy. And because cruise control is entirely an optional feature, players can still use the traditional W-tapping for shorter movement intervals for finer control.

Having played Fractured Space, which has similar movement mechanics to Dreadnought, the availability of cruise control in the former game has been a godsend, and it's my hope that Dreadnought can someday implement the same feature to further improve both control quality-of-life and gameplay. The game loses nothing by adding this feature in, while gaining another control ability that players can use to improve their game experience.

Oct. 16, 2016, 6:46 p.m.

Fractured Space has quite a few small differences from Dreadnought, which typically make quite significant differences to how the game feels.

That said, this is one of the few changes I've been very much in favour of.

Having a "toggle forward thrust" button you can map would be a simple solution. Another option would be a setting which switches W between "hold to thrust" and "toggle thrust" modes.

http://i.imgur.com/f5SVkIz.jpg
---V^^^V---
Step into your daydreams, and follow them home

Oct. 17, 2016, 12:10 a.m.

Updated //
Oct. 17, 2016, 12:18 a.m.

Somewhat on the topic. I can actually do all this with VoiceAttack since I'm already using it for my energy wheel functions and other module key commands.
For Instance, Using VA I could bind the spoken word "Forward" to the W Key as a Hold Key function and Bind a different command to turn it off (Forward Off, or whatever).

In Battle I could then say "Forward" while then continuing to move in that direction while carrying out other functions of battle. Could then say "Reverse", or "Port", Starboard", "Up", or "Down" verbally while having my faculties free to do whatever else.

I love VoiceAttack and posted about it just recently here:
VoiceAttack is Brilliant!! Voice Control PC Game Key-Binding App. (Just say BLINK!)
https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/8767/?page=1#post-48591
Seeing your post and Idea about Cruise Control, I have another capability to utilize this Voice Key Binding App for. I already use it to say other commands for modules, energy wheel function, etc.

BTW, the cool thing about the key binding options in VA, allow me not only to do press/release, or hold functions, but also allow me to do macros or select the duration of key press in milliseconds as well as the duration of pauses in between key presses. I could actually utilize this to simulate a slow movement function by saying "Forward 50%" and just mapping a W keybind to a macro of short duration press/release and pauses of certain duration. That would allow me to control ship motion in any direction and at any speed I chose completely with Voice command.
Thank You for this Ideas, and while I know you want it to be incorporated into the native game controls, I actually love this idea for hands free voice activated commands in VA. I'll give it a try and see how I like it smile

Oct. 17, 2016, 12:21 a.m.

Somewhat on the topic. I can actually do all this with VoiceAttack since I'm already using it for my energy wheel functions and other module key commands.
For Instance, Using VA I could bind the spoken word "Forward" to the W Key as a Hold Key function and Bind a different command to turn it off (Forward Off, or whatever).

In Battle I could then say "Forward" while then continuing to move in that direction while carrying out other functions of battle. Could then say "Reverse", or "Port", Starboard", "Up", or "Down" verbally while having my faculties free to do whatever else.

I love VoiceAttack and posted about it just recently here:
VoiceAttack is Brilliant!! Voice Control PC Game Key-Binding App. (Just say BLINK!)
https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/8767/?page=1#post-48591
Seeing your post and Idea about Cruise Control, I have another capability to utilize this Voice Key Binding App for. I already use it to say other commands for modules, energy wheel function, etc.

BTW, the cool thing about the key binding options in VA, allow me not only to do press/release, or hold functions, but also allow me to do macros or select the duration of key press in milliseconds as well as the duration of pauses in between key presses. I could actually utilize this to simulate a slow movement function by saying "Forward 50%" and just mapping a W keybind to a macro of short duration press/release and pauses of certain duration. That would allow me to control ship motion in any direction and at any speed I chose completely with Voice command.
Thank You for this idea, and while I know you want it to be incorporated into the native game controls, I actually love this idea for hands free voice activated commands in VA. I'll give it a try and see how I like it smile

Oct. 17, 2016, 3:45 a.m.

Updated //
Oct. 17, 2016, 3:45 a.m.

obliviondoll#5677 posted (#post-47135)

Another option would be a setting which switches W between "hold to thrust" and "toggle thrust" modes.

This please. smile

Oct. 18, 2016, 1:33 p.m.

I actually found strange that this game doesn't have cruise control. Having W pressed for 30 seconds sometimes is tiring.

Agree

Talking about Fractured Space, it's good to have two good games close to each other if you think about it. Dreadnought could have some neat ideas out of that one, and vice versa. Love the warfare in Dreadnought.

Dec. 22, 2016, 10:33 p.m.

Updated //
Dec. 22, 2016, 10:34 p.m.

Hi all guys, I am playing Dreadnought since a few days now, and I totally agree with you.
Something like an auto-thrust option will be great.

I am playing Mechwarrior Online too, and in that game they implemented a system called
throttle decay, you can switch it on or off in settings, and it should works well even here I think.
What do you think about it?

In this youtube video a guy explain it:
https://youtu.be/6qY2BiOl_ow

Dec. 22, 2016, 11:38 p.m.

The MechWarrior series has always had a variety of control options, the main scheme in MW2 and MW3 and their spinoffs (and probably Microsoft's Mech Sim that pretended to be MW4, although I disliked that for obvious reasons) was using the number line on a standard keyboard as throttle settings in 10% increments. There were also throttle up/down keys, which had that same throttle decay effect MWO uses.

I honestly don't think this game is the type to really need something that complex. Simply having a 4-stage throttle (reverse, stop, half speed and full speed) would be plenty of settings. Without that, having JUST a "cruise control" button like Fractured Space has (one-touch toggle for forward thrust) would work well enough for 99% of uses you'd have in this game.

http://i.imgur.com/f5SVkIz.jpg
---V^^^V---
Step into your daydreams, and follow them home

Dec. 23, 2016, 12:02 a.m.

Same as everyone: cruise speed would be sooooo appreciated...

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.