FORUMS

Books - Stephen King: The Dark Tower

Posted: //
Aug. 17, 2015, 1:46 p.m.

Updated //
Aug. 17, 2015, 4:21 p.m.

OK, guys, here we go!
7 books of pure awesomeness linked to many other King's books.

But what's it about?
Well, the first book reads like a Western and it surely partly is. King was inspired by the Movie "the Good, the Bad and the Ugly" to write the Tower-cycle at first.
But all this medieval and wild-west-world-setting is somehow surreal, suddenly a shiny new nuclear powered water-pump appears in the middle of the desert that has no rust whatsoever on it.
And then there happens magic, dark magic. Or is it really just very far advanced technology?
And on the question, what Time is, one might answer: Time is a face on the water. And time is as slippery as water.
Then there are these surreal doors that just float on the beach or in the mountains, that let you travel to other worlds, for example from the medieval-wild-west-world to our world 1970, 80, 90 and on and on. And all of this without violating the Time-Travel-Kill-your-own-Grandfather-paradox.

& at the center of everything stands the Dark Tower, the goal of the main protagonist Roland of Gilead in Midworld, who is the last gunslinger of the line of Eld. But who is Eld? What is Gilead? and Midworld?
The Dark Tower is slowly crumbling away, falling, but still standing at the center of the 6 beams that are also slowly fading away. And Roland seeks to stop that process. And for that, he has to kill enemies and leave behind friends and foes alike, so he can reach the Dark Tower, climb to the top and see what or who's there and stop the impending end of all world(s).
BAM.
Well, anyways. I've read all 7 book in english and at the end of the 7th book, I found out that there's one more book King wrote after he finished the series, because the fans urged him to smile
King wrote this series over the course of like 40 years. He started when he was ~19 years old and finished the last book 2004, I believe. And the movie "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" inpsired him to start with the whole stuff at first. In King's mind, the main protagonist Roland looks quite like a mix out of Clint Eastwood+dirty stubble beard & Kimg himself. He has many cross-connections to his other books in the Tower Series, for example even a main-character appears that appeared in another book in another world during another time.
That's why I also decided to read through King's books slowly but stadily.
So far I've got 'Salem's Lot(300-400 pages), The Stand(~1300 pages) and I'm now reading "It" that clocks in at 1400 pages. I realize I'm just at the third book, even though I've been reading for quite a while now smile
By the way, here is the series in my shelf. Next to it are the Eragon-books and on the other side Erich Kästner-books, who not only wrote Child-stories, but also post-WW2-literature and novels. King, Kästner and Drvenkar are d4mn good authors smile

I bundled up all pics I had on my PC about the Tower and saved them in 2 zip-bundles, one with spoilery pics, one without. May contain the same pics in different resolutions multiple times, tho
smile
Spoiler-free bundle
Spoiler-y
edit: pls don't got too off-topic with this thread, guys.

Dreadnought - & - Tac. Cruiser

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. -5:40(!spoiler)

Aug. 17, 2015, 2:14 p.m.

Updated //
Aug. 17, 2015, 2:14 p.m.

I kind of lost interest after book 4 I think it was smile Have you read the marvel comics, are they any good?

Dresden files is a great book series (although not finished). Each book has a main story, and a bigger story and timeline running through the entire series.

Dreadnought Testers - Chat & VoIP

Aug. 17, 2015, 2:32 p.m.

Updated //
Aug. 17, 2015, 2:36 p.m.

YES!!V NO!"!!!
PLEASE GOD, NO!

I also read the 4th book, and nearly stopped there! I know it is boring as f*ck and slow and boring and stuff....

But keep going, I promise, after "Wizard and Glass", the plot gets going again.
the next book "Wolves of the Calla" really only works towards 1 great battle at the end of it. And after the battle, the scenes and chapters really flow and work together and the flow ends at ~half of the last (7th book) and then King takes his time again.

After the 4th book, King really pushes the pedal down and feeds the monkey, revs up the engine, you know? smile
I just looked at a the Dresden Files overview, I'll probably check it out (when I got a break with King smile )

Aug. 17, 2015, 3:23 p.m.

But...but...there's a thread about "Book tips" RIGHT BELOW this thread. Why...why did you start a new one. Did you not like mine? You don't like mine, right? smile

JB Logo Cute little thingy-thing

Aug. 17, 2015, 4:05 p.m.

Updated //
Aug. 17, 2015, 4:10 p.m.

J4nB1#5520 posted (#post-5131)

But...but...there's a thread about "Book tips" RIGHT BELOW this thread. Why...why did you start a new one. Did you not like mine? You don't like mine, right? smile

It was about SciFi, and the Tower-Series is not really SciFi. It is surely is , partly, but also high-fantasy (high fantasy not as Elves and Dwarves, but time- and dimension-travel, supernatural stuff, demons, godlike interventions, The White vs the Red Death and so on. Not really Space-futuristic, but surely got some high-tech-stuff in it, like mind-traps that read fears in one's mind and project them and make them real, for example paper dinosaurs that really bleed and hunt, etc. smile
Or there is a scene where someone is imagining a world in his brain, and later it becomes real and parts of the story play in this very world.

So not really SciFi-, but a more realism+slight-fantasy-series with SciFi-touches.
The world is really real for the most part, slight touches of Magic here, technology even rarer. But when Magic and Technology happen and occur, it's get's really complicated and weird (in a serious, funny and an exciting way).

Aug. 17, 2015, 4:07 p.m.

Well, it's not about Sci-Fi only. It's a general book tips thread. smile

Aug. 17, 2015, 4:11 p.m.

Updated //
Aug. 17, 2015, 4:12 p.m.

I felt it was more SciFi and Dreadnought-like based, so I kept my Tower-stuff out of it.
("classic" SciFi-stuff)

Sorry, Sai J4nb1 put's fist to the head
(Dark-Tower-insider joke :p )

Aug. 17, 2015, 4:12 p.m.

irishrOy#2575 posted (#post-5139)

'I felt it was more SciFi and Dreadnought-like based, so I kept my Tower-stuff out of it.

Well, feel free to write there next time. ^^

Aug. 17, 2015, 4:18 p.m.

I could grab "Die Zwerge" (engl. The Dwarves) by Michael Heitz and talk about them, but they're more the type of normal fantasy-stuff (but there the Dwarves are cool dwarves and the Elves are mostly Softies and Wimps, you could say, not wanting to battle and old fashioned and not really practical. xD

Feb. 27, 2016, 6:07 p.m.

The Dark Tower is one of my favorite book series. I thought the first book was the biggest chore to get through. My main online name, after Jonathan Strange (after the excellent book Jonathan Strange & Mr Norell) is R Flagg for Randall Flagg, whom first appeared under that name in the Stand (rereading that now as I wait for The Division to release) but is a major character in the Dark Tower series.

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.