FORUMS

Beam weapons for non-support ships?

Posted: //
Sept. 13, 2015, 3:52 p.m.

Is there any chance of having beam weapons in-game for ships that aren't tactical cruisers? Perhaps they could be more rapid fire-like similar to Star Trek, or maybe they could be slower but more powerful similar to Stargate? I'm not asking for them to be OP, just visually appealing. I would pay money for this!

Sept. 13, 2015, 4:29 p.m.

Hm, the DEVs could make cosmetics that change the visual appearance of weapons, too smile

However, when you for example change the PlasmaCannons projectiles into beams, it's kinda weird since beams normally travel at the speed of light, while the plasma-orbss simply are projectiles that travel far slower. (Well, light are projectiles, too, if you want to be a super-serious, but well smile )

So the DEVs would have to design new wapons and make them accessible for the ships.
The best class I could see this work with are Artillery-Cruisers, since they also got certain beam-cannons.

To me personally, beams always either have something Sniper-like (=big dmg, slower rate of fire) or healing- or slowly eating health-away-style like the Tactical cruisers, but never really something in the middle.
But maybe there could be bigger "Flak-blasters" like in Star-Wars, tho.

Dreadnought - & - Tac. Cruiser

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. -5:40(!spoiler)

Sept. 14, 2015, 5:59 a.m.

Updated //
Sept. 14, 2015, 6:05 a.m.

to ask your question,yes you can equip beam turrets to other ships[maybe not all].I saw there was a beam turret in corvette

EDIT:

Dreadnought Wikia

Sept. 14, 2015, 7:33 a.m.

Ah, right! smile

I wonder if you can destroy incoming missiles with such a Laser-Beam-Turret...

Hmm..

Sept. 14, 2015, 8:23 a.m.

DEVASTRATOR#4326 posted (#post-6655)

to ask your question,yes you can equip beam turrets to other ships[maybe not all].I saw there was a beam turret in corvette

EDIT:

if i am not mistaken those beam turrets are for antimissile assault?!?

"The First Of His Name"

Sept. 14, 2015, 8:26 a.m.

Odinous#5262 posted (#post-6662)

DEVASTRATOR#4326 posted (#post-6655)

EDIT:

if i am not mistaken those beam turrets are for antimissile assault?!?

I don't know if they are.I don't even know if beam turrets can do that.

Dreadnought Wikia

Sept. 15, 2015, 2:52 a.m.

The corvette can have secondary beam turrets like in the image above however they do not take out missiles like the anti missile turrets that also use beams. The corvette's secondaries are super short ranged, high damage weapons. Would be cool to hear more about what you guys think though, as I also think it would be cool to see some more beam weapons.

Joshua "Dark_Fox_" Morrison
3D Artist, YAGER

Sept. 15, 2015, 3:36 a.m.

Updated //
Sept. 15, 2015, 8:22 a.m.

This is actually awesome, some kind of shotgun-like weapon that deals high DMG in "CloseQuartersCombat".

However this is balanced in a good way, because the heavy Corvette has this, so "just going into CQC with the heavy Corvette and f*cking everything up" is not the best plan, since it can be destroyed relatively fast.

Also good, that this beamweapon isn't on the light Corvette (right now), since a very fast and agile Corvette with high-dmg-weapon that only work in CQC is no real "problem" since the light Corvette can quickly fly in and out of combat more easily. (So it would be more of a problem to enemies since the small and fast Corvette can sneak in with BeamTurrets and nuclear torpedos and deal heavy dmg within a rather short amount of time).

So it's not a high-dmg&limited-range-weapon on a light vessel, but a high-dmg&limited-range-weapon on a slower vessel to not encourage flying in.

Sept. 15, 2015, 7:11 a.m.

Dark_Fox_#1657 posted (#post-6713)

The corvette can have secondary beam turrets like in the image above however they do not take out missiles like the anti missile turrets that also use beams. The corvette's secondaries are super short ranged, high damage weapons. Would be cool to hear more about what you guys think though, as I also think it would be cool to see some more beam weapons.

thanks for the info,once again smile

"The First Of His Name"

Sept. 15, 2015, 7:17 a.m.

Odinous#5262 posted (#post-6718)

Dark_Fox_#1657 posted (#post-6713)

thanks for the info,once again smile

You don't have to thank me, it's fun to read what you guys think. I should thank you for being interesting smile

Joshua "Dark_Fox_" Morrison
3D Artist, YAGER

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.