Feedback on Progression:
1. I don't think the current system is optimal.
2. T1-T3 feel like a chore. T4 is where the real game is.
3. The game at T4 is great.
4. My friends never make it to T4 because of T1-T3.
5. I need fun stuff to spend money on. Hero ships suck. I don't have the time to make use of Elite. I don't like paying for free xp on principal. The market doesnt make clear if cosmetics are for one tier, one ship line, or all ships. I want to buy ships and ship geometry and cosmetics.
6. I'm like 20 hours behind having certain modules that I see other T4 players using. That's a lot of investment for me. I'd like the game to have a way so I can compete with the time I have. Not so much of a grind-wall for competing. But still respect the guys who play a lot and do invest time.
Keep tiers for modules. There is only one tier of a ship.
This keeps the progression element and removes the base hp/damage unfairness of tiers. It allows new players quicker access to the modules they want and need. For example, anti-vette modules. All players will have equal hp and primary/secondary damage, but higher tier modules will have shorter cd, higher damage, like they do now. I think basically give each ship the T5 tech tree with the same unlock chains, but each module can be upgraded to a mk2, mk3, etc. With the entry level mk1 unlock being very affordable for starting players. Ships can be bought with credits or real money.
1. Opens up necessary modules to new players.
2. Makes each ship really "mine." Not just a stepping stone.
3. Sell the ship geometry as cosmetics.
4. Sell ships in the store.
5. Gets players to their preferred playstyle faster. Straight to koschei, straight to jutland, straight to heavy sniper, etc.
6. Get players straight to preferred modules faster that would otherwise be tier-locked, and keeps progression so players get stronger with investment.
7. My friends can experience the fun of the game without a 20 hour grind wall.
8. You're not asking players to buy cosmetics for a single tier. I wouldn't want to buy cosmetics at T2. And a lot of players never get past that in the current system.
There's a lot to figure out with matchmaking. For example, how much more powerful is an mk7 module vs a mk1. Should ships and fleets carry a battle value based on module tier. How to weigh that with player skill. Some module stat rebalancing, but maybe not so much.
It needs some market math on how much credits should a new ship cost. I'm okay buying hangar slots like in warframe or mechwarrior online. Or have a free ship rotation but the ship can only get modules up to lvl 1 that way. Gives players a chance to try it, but to grow and advance they need to buy it with creds/money.
I love this game. I'm happy for it have grind to please the grind guys. I think this proposed system solves more problems than it introduces. There are issues with it that I see too, but the current tier system sucks. I don't think the game can grow with the current grind when everyone dislikes it. It's not so much the time in absolute terms but the nature of it. There are people who accept it, but no one is really enthusiastic. When 60% of the forums are about how corvettes are OP, I think this solves a lot of that. Give players the modules to defend themselves as quickly as possible. Also, I want to see you guys make money. I can't be excited about buying geometry and cosmetics for a Jutland when I'm still 20 hours away from unlocking it. And the 20 hours sucks because I'm in an Otranto.