'Introducing Retrofits' Discussion Thread

Posté: //
1 Juillet 2018 11:14

Mis à jour //
1 Juillet 2018 11:16

SkyRaider#3584 posted (#post-222875) said:

WaveRider#4219 posted (#post-222874) said:

BlackAce#4891 posted (#post-222873) said:

I must disagree with others thoughts on the price points, these are the kinda things that should be a bit pricey (500GP) and the color options should be the lower side (100gp-200gp) tops since from a labor point of view I would bet these take more effort to make than a simple recolour option. The thing I would like to see though is more figure heads. I also think that figureheads and emblems should be a one time purchase kinda thing, I would be willing to pay a lot more for it if it was. I don't like the whole buy it for every ship kinda thing as it seems like you are nickel and diming a bit here. I do understand for the colorizations and for these retrofits as its essentially like buying a "skin" option for those ships but the emblems and figureheads should be one time buys and use anywhere you want.

I think if you increased the price point slightly and made them function in this way you would get a lot more purchases. I know I would certainly be more willing to buy them.

I can understand your point of view. World of Warships did something similar with a special camo but pretty much lied to the playerbase: 1. A developer stated that the camo was easier to create than it normally is. 2. Wargaming said it took a long time (so one of them was lying lol) 3. WG said they priced them so high because they needed to make back the money because of the effort. 4. But then they limited who could buy he camo (to high tiers only). So did they want to make the money back or not?

In the end they messed up because of the price and exclusivity and didn't sell enough so within 2 weeks they opened purchase to everyone.

My point is, the effort to make the Retrofits will have been complete when they come to sell them - so their main aim should be to find a price where as many people will buy them.

For me: The colour for the Hero ships goes to every ship (hoorah!)- yet the prices for a hero ship that generally sucks regarding specs is too much (Boo!). The colours on offer in the shop are meh when for all ship types and an absolute rip off for the one ship! (I guess when you have pimped out your favourite ship at each tier it could be a consideration?) Totally agree with the buy one time and use anywhere for the Emblems, Figureheads and Decals.

There are a load of pictures on the internet with some great camo, patterns, Captain customisations, Emblems, Figureheads, and Decals. In the shop there seems to be weird glasses, cowboy hats, number decals and weird Emblems - and all at too much of a price.

It should be: Colours = 600GP for all ships. (Heart of Venus has that price at the moment) Patterns = 900GP for all ships. Decals = 300GP for all ships. Emblems = 600GP for all ships. Figureheads = 1200GP for all ships. Retrofit Items = 600GP if they are like the normal appearance areas of the ship; meaning a full set of 4 would cost 2400GP. This would be available as advertised (other ship of the same manufacturer and ship class).

My wallet would get severely abused if these were the type of prices (I mean, if you look at getting the set above it would still cost you £30 but at least the colours, patterns, decals and figureheads would be available to other ships). To pimp out a whole Manufacturers line of 5 different ships would cost £60 altogether. Any change of colour, decal, emblem, figureheads and retrofits just increases the cost. At the moment prices are just to high to even have me reach for the wallet. O7

Even those prices are still high. 100 GP = $1, so youre suggesting $9 for just a pattern? Thats still too much. Realistically, it should be 200-400 for a coating bundle, not per ship. Emblems and figureheards you dont even really see other than the hanger. Realistically, the retrofits should be between 200-500 GP. Give n the current pricing model, Id expect 1000+ per retrofit easy

I guess that all comes down to what you are willing to pay. Exchange rates make the colour around £5 or around $7, and yes I feel $7 dollars for the colour to be avaialble for every class and every manufacturer (as well as any future ships), is not too bad. When it comes to patterns I think the need to be designed to look right on every ship class for all 3 manufacturers will take more effort than a general colour pallet. Also I think the patterns will be more hit and miss with some (haven't seen one on offer that I have liked). So for me £7.5 for a pattern that looks good on all ships with whatever colour pallet you've chaosen seems fair.

But then again, you are entitled to your opinion on cost and the reasons why. I went to 600GP max per retrofit area, you went 500GP max; not too different. If you are right and they are 1000+ I guess my wallet will remain shut. Appreciate your view O7

1 Juillet 2018 11:48

DN_EmptyTuxedo#3505 posted (#post-222774) said:

Read the article here and tell us your thoughts!

I never though that incects were the muse for the corvette designs.

Since most of the ships move and resemble some type of aquatic creature I thought the Corvettes were like Piranahs. ( Oberon Dread = Great white. Oberon Destroyer = nurse shark ect. )

Anyway, it's a neat idea. There is a thread in the concepts section asking about the possibility of adding negative/positive bonuses to some hull parts - this could be a good or bad idea but should at least be discussed and may add value to some of these proposed cosmetic options.

1 Juillet 2018 12:47

WaveRider#4219 posted (#post-222880) said:

SkyRaider#3584 posted (#post-222875) said:

WaveRider#4219 posted (#post-222874) said:

BlackAce#4891 posted (#post-222873) said:

I must disagree with others thoughts on the price points, these are the kinda things that should be a bit pricey (500GP) and the color options should be the lower side (100gp-200gp) tops since from a labor point of view I would bet these take more effort to make than a simple recolour option. The thing I would like to see though is more figure heads. I also think that figureheads and emblems should be a one time purchase kinda thing, I would be willing to pay a lot more for it if it was. I don't like the whole buy it for every ship kinda thing as it seems like you are nickel and diming a bit here. I do understand for the colorizations and for these retrofits as its essentially like buying a "skin" option for those ships but the emblems and figureheads should be one time buys and use anywhere you want.

I think if you increased the price point slightly and made them function in this way you would get a lot more purchases. I know I would certainly be more willing to buy them.

I can understand your point of view. World of Warships did something similar with a special camo but pretty much lied to the playerbase: 1. A developer stated that the camo was easier to create than it normally is. 2. Wargaming said it took a long time (so one of them was lying lol) 3. WG said they priced them so high because they needed to make back the money because of the effort. 4. But then they limited who could buy he camo (to high tiers only). So did they want to make the money back or not?

In the end they messed up because of the price and exclusivity and didn't sell enough so within 2 weeks they opened purchase to everyone.

My point is, the effort to make the Retrofits will have been complete when they come to sell them - so their main aim should be to find a price where as many people will buy them.

For me: The colour for the Hero ships goes to every ship (hoorah!)- yet the prices for a hero ship that generally sucks regarding specs is too much (Boo!). The colours on offer in the shop are meh when for all ship types and an absolute rip off for the one ship! (I guess when you have pimped out your favourite ship at each tier it could be a consideration?) Totally agree with the buy one time and use anywhere for the Emblems, Figureheads and Decals.

There are a load of pictures on the internet with some great camo, patterns, Captain customisations, Emblems, Figureheads, and Decals. In the shop there seems to be weird glasses, cowboy hats, number decals and weird Emblems - and all at too much of a price.

It should be: Colours = 600GP for all ships. (Heart of Venus has that price at the moment) Patterns = 900GP for all ships. Decals = 300GP for all ships. Emblems = 600GP for all ships. Figureheads = 1200GP for all ships. Retrofit Items = 600GP if they are like the normal appearance areas of the ship; meaning a full set of 4 would cost 2400GP. This would be available as advertised (other ship of the same manufacturer and ship class).

My wallet would get severely abused if these were the type of prices (I mean, if you look at getting the set above it would still cost you £30 but at least the colours, patterns, decals and figureheads would be available to other ships). To pimp out a whole Manufacturers line of 5 different ships would cost £60 altogether. Any change of colour, decal, emblem, figureheads and retrofits just increases the cost. At the moment prices are just to high to even have me reach for the wallet. O7

Even those prices are still high. 100 GP = $1, so youre suggesting $9 for just a pattern? Thats still too much. Realistically, it should be 200-400 for a coating bundle, not per ship. Emblems and figureheards you dont even really see other than the hanger. Realistically, the retrofits should be between 200-500 GP. Give n the current pricing model, Id expect 1000+ per retrofit easy

I guess that all comes down to what you are willing to pay. Exchange rates make the colour around £5 or around $7, and yes I feel $7 dollars for the colour to be avaialble for every class and every manufacturer (as well as any future ships), is not too bad. When it comes to patterns I think the need to be designed to look right on every ship class for all 3 manufacturers will take more effort than a general colour pallet. Also I think the patterns will be more hit and miss with some (haven't seen one on offer that I have liked). So for me £7.5 for a pattern that looks good on all ships with whatever colour pallet you've chaosen seems fair.

But then again, you are entitled to your opinion on cost and the reasons why. I went to 600GP max per retrofit area, you went 500GP max; not too different. If you are right and they are 1000+ I guess my wallet will remain shut. Appreciate your view O7

Yeah, it boils to what youre willing to spend. But pricing it as they are, they basically eliminate impulse buys. Youre average person wont throw $20 down on a coating. If it was $2-4, theyd probably get a fair amount. A lot of people would go "eh, its $3, what the heck."

1 Juillet 2018 14:52

Mis à jour //
1 Juillet 2018 14:53

@SkyRaider: Yep, totally agree. Unfortunately I'm a sucker for an impulse buy if the price is right and I can end up spending more than I should. That's why when prices are higher it's easier for me to say no thanks. O7

2 Juillet 2018 07:44

Mis à jour //
2 Juillet 2018 07:46

To be completely frank, the whole point I was trying to make before is that I would gladly spend whatever the price point if the internal mechanics were different for what I am buying. It's the fact that I am buying something for a single ship that I then have to rebuy for every other ship that is giving me pause. I did buy the founders pack but that was mostly for the hero ships, 30 days of elite, and to support the game because I believe it has some pretty good potential.

I speak for myself I know, but when I go to make a purchase in a video game I am looking to know that I am getting something solid out of it. The founders pack offered me the value I wanted for what I was spending. I got 30 days of elite, plus hero ships to play around with and enjoy, plus some GP to buy some character eye candy and a few pieces of ship vanity items PLUS I got colors and ship parts to use on other ships which in my mind is more worth while then buying the individual colors for the ships. Even after all that though I still have 1510 GP that I simply don't WANT to spend on ship eye candy unless I am buying something that I can use universally =\ I am mostly saving it in case something comes along I simply must have and so far not much is hitting that mark for me.

Also in response to SkyRaider with figureheads being too small. If they were larger like the morningstar figurehead for example where I could see them more clearly ingame as a nice and cool fashion statement, I would easily pay just about any price. Especially if it was a giant skull like the one on the Arcadia from Harlock Space Pirate eyes go glassy man that would be epic. Even if all that were true though I have to say I would still hesitate if I had to buy it for each individual ship.

2 Juillet 2018 08:21

BlackAce#4891 posted (#post-222917) said:

I speak for myself I know, but when I go to make a purchase in a video game I am looking to know that I am getting something solid out of it. The founders pack offered me the value I wanted for what I was spending. I got 30 days of elite, plus hero ships to play around with and enjoy, plus some GP to buy some character eye candy and a few pieces of ship vanity items PLUS I got colors and ship parts to use on other ships which in my mind is more worth while then buying the individual colors for the ships. Even after all that though I still have 1510 GP that I simply don't WANT to spend on ship eye candy unless I am buying something that I can use universally =\ I am mostly saving it in case something comes along I simply must have and so far not much is hitting that mark for me.

I agree, there need to be more universal purchases than just one ship class. Heck, people have told me that patterns are related to literaly the single ship you buy them on, and not even the ship line. I always tell myself to unlock the T5 of a ship and make sure it is the one I want before I do anything cosmetic with it- I'm fine puting coatings on my main but I don't want to pay for something I will never use

I also think it would be nice if in game purchases were linked to Steam after release- I know it is an illusion, but I always find it easier to give up steam money than real money

Join the Community Discord!

https://discord.gg/uvUsYP

2 Juillet 2018 08:47

im excited if theyre reasonably priced

2 Juillet 2018 16:57

Mis à jour //
2 Juillet 2018 16:59

It's really a nice idea... well... not original (look at Elite Dangerous ship kits) but cool and good!!

Anyway... as Brother Belial said "But I'll not unleash the hype train till I see the price"

Forged in Apulia.

2 Juillet 2018 22:49

I want huge runways on top of my Monarch! If I can't be a carrier at least I could to wish to look like one.

2 Juillet 2018 23:46

What they charge for a ship coating for a single line of ships is what it should cost for all ships. I'll give 300 GP for a coating, not 2000, which translate to $20

Ce forum est restreint, les posts ne peuvent y être créés.