FORUMS

Please add STRAFE to ship controls and Objectives to fight over

Posté: //
3 Mai 2016 00:28

fair enough, I will continue playing it and see how it goes.
I do really need to put in some more hours of game play

3 Mai 2016 01:01

if i remember they didnt say they cant possibly do strafing.. They said they DONT WANT strafing in the the game.. Something like they dont want the ships to have that kind of feel and gameplay to them.. Its a design choice not a game engine choice iirc..

Auto-AIM.. Holding your mommies hand one target at a time..

3 Mai 2016 01:36

Varthlokkur#4494 posted (#post-29105)

if i remember they didnt say they cant possibly do strafing.. They said they DONT WANT strafing in the the game.. Something like they dont want the ships to have that kind of feel and gameplay to them.. Its a design choice not a game engine choice iirc..

Yeah that's what comes to mind when I try to remember what the devs said about strafing.

'Member when SixFoot tried to justify making Dreadnought P2W? I Do! No seriously I 'member! Also 'member "The Article"? I 'member!
SixFoot, a very accurate company name. They only bury their games Six Feet under.

3 Mai 2016 01:53

strafing while a nice addition would completely change the game play. changing how you hide and place yourself. as it stands you must think about where your ship is and where you might want it to go. adding strafing would allow more corrections to positioning mistakes and open maneuverability opportunities, but those opportunities would be most utilized by the more advanced players creating a very large skill gap, or those with joysticks utilizing a controller advantage.

I lean more towards not having the strafing. requiring more though and strategy and better utilization of surprise attacks.

3 Mai 2016 02:07

Mis à jour //
3 Mai 2016 02:07

An objective game mode is coming, no date as to when, but DN_Nwood keeps teasing us about it. They are hoping it will be the game mode for Dreadnought.

Strafing is not in by design. They have had prototypes with strafing in it and did not like it. It had something to do with it being too easy to take cover and just hover around the cover at all times, in addition to positioning ships and guns was way easier.

Dreadnought Testers - Chat & VoIP

3 Mai 2016 02:33

This game do not need strafes. Their presence will move the very concept of gameplay - controlling of large heavy spaceships. The Dreadnought is more about tactics and proper positioning and that positively highlights it. As said above : "Enter the strafing will allow you to compensate some serious tactical miscalculations", that will break the very essence of the game. If someone wants more dynamics in space battles try StarConflict there everything is "okay" with strafes. Their imbalance was one of the reasons for my departure from there, with small fast interceptors was simply impossible to fight, literacy pilot easily changed direction of movement before your shells will be able to reach him, even with the lowest possible pre-emption. In Dreadnought pre-emption is taken by an eye, what is appropriate in existing situation. But if strafes will be entred, good balance will break and the "dark age" starts.

3 Mai 2016 06:03

I'd love strafing & objectives.

Think objectives is a big thing.
Stuff like, defend your 'NPC'
Or defend your star base.
Or capture the becon/flag
or control certain refineries to get points ( bit like domination in cod )

Or areas of the map that give buffs (speed/damage/damage resistance / energy)

The game is excellent IMO hooked & throughly enjoying it.

3 Mai 2016 06:51

There's no technical limitation preventing strafing. Obviously. Devs have said they wanted to retain a fell of "naval style" combat. The lack of strafing is an intentional part of filling that concept. Most of the time, up and down movement is managed NOT as just bouncing/dropping your ship straight up and down, but along with your forward (or reverse) movement.

If you're coming from Fractured Space or another space game, it feels odd getting used to not having strafe, but it DOES work for this game, not against it, if you're willing to get used to the change.

There are some other refinements I'd like to see to the controls, but that very quickly disappeared from my list.

I wouldn't object to seeing customisable engines which can - in some cases, on certain ships - add a strafe functionality. I wouldn't object to a specific module or crew upgrade that gives a ship strafing capabilities. But it works for the game to NOT have that, and I think if they do add it, that should be something you're compromising on other aspects to gain access to.

http://i.imgur.com/f5SVkIz.jpg
---V^^^V---
Step into your daydreams, and follow them home

3 Mai 2016 07:08

Still waiting on a beta key but for my thoughts on strafing:
- Very large ships don't have strafe capability in my head. They have manoeuvring thrusters which can help it in doc but are not useful in a fight. Having massive ships that can just duck and weave seems incongruous with the game style.

I know it is a space game but everything I've read reads like naval combat. As such the avoidance of strafing is critical to maintaining ship movement characteristics.

I liked the idea someone suggested of having it as a module where gaining the lateral movement comes at a tactical cost elsewhere in the build.

3 Mai 2016 07:09

Still waiting on a beta key but for my thoughts on strafing:
- Very large ships don't have strafe capability in my head. They have manoeuvring thrusters which can help it in doc but are not useful in a fight. Having massive ships that can just duck and weave seems incongruous with the game style.

I know it is a space game but everything I've read reads like naval combat. As such the avoidance of strafing is critical to maintaining ship movement characteristics.

I liked the idea someone suggested of having it as a module where gaining the lateral movement comes at a tactical cost elsewhere in the build.

Ce forum est restreint, les posts ne peuvent y être créés.