FORUMS

Maps: More Verticality

Posté: //
8 Mars 2015 18:44

From the PAX Demo and some of the videos that I chain watched in the hours since, I've noticed that most maps are quite horizontal, not in terms of how they're built, but in terms of how players use them. Perhaps this will change as players get more experienced with the game, but I would like to see maps that encourage players to stick to different altitudes. Something as simple as clouds that are very thin, vertically and very wide horizontally (like pancakes) that obscure vision could do a lot to break up the levels into different altitude zones. This could add a lot of complexity to tactics. For example, I think this would make jumping away from a fight much easier, especially in a corvette.

"Wise men make proverbs, but fools repeat them."
-Samuel Palmer

8 Mars 2015 20:28

Ceesa#8411 posted (#post-377)

From the PAX Demo and some of the videos that I chain watched in the hours since, I've noticed that most maps are quite horizontal, not in terms of how they're built, but in terms of how players use them. Perhaps this will change as players get more experienced with the game, but I would like to see maps that encourage players to stick to different altitudes. Something as simple as clouds that are very thin, vertically and very wide horizontally (like pancakes) that obscure vision could do a lot to break up the levels into different altitude zones. This could add a lot of complexity to tactics. For example, I think this would make jumping away from a fight much easier, especially in a corvette.

Most players I have seen start playing horizontally. They usually start taking advantage of the vertical plain after two or three rounds. The ship yard map especially requires you to go vertical or get destroyed going through the middle. I loved going around the end of the yard or going down and under and popping up behind the enemy line. :D

9 Mars 2015 10:46

very interesting idea, imagine a sort of sky-city where you have to manouver through big buildings etc. and can hide behind stuff, that'd be awesome, allthough i think that the ships up/down movement is no optimized for such battle, at least from the footage i saw

the ships kinda "drift" up and down, they don't really put their nose up and down and engage the boosters or something (the do tilt up/down slightly)

but yea i'd love to see more verticallity as well

time you enjoy wasting, is no wasted time

9 Mars 2015 18:00

Ceesa#8411 posted (#post-377)

jownsy#3157 posted (#post-426)

very interesting idea, imagine a sort of sky-city where you have to manouver through big buildings etc. and can hide behind stuff, that'd be awesome, allthough i think that the ships up/down movement is no optimized for such battle, at least from the footage i saw

the ships kinda "drift" up and down, they don't really put their nose up and down and engage the boosters or something (the do tilt up/down slightly)

but yea i'd love to see more verticallity as well

These are really good ideas =)

16 Mars 2015 10:42

jownsy#3157 posted (#post-426)

imagine a sort of sky-city where you have to manouver through big buildings etc. and can hide behind stuff, that'd be awesome

mmmmmm sweet sweet dreams

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."

May the Dreadnought be with you!

18 Mars 2015 08:39

Verticality is a huge challenge when designing maps for Dreandought. Too much and players get disoriented when trying to pilot while aiming up or down. In addition, classes like the dreadnought take ages to ascend over structures that are too tall. Too little verticality and the map gets a bit stale and certain classes like the artillery cruiser become very powerful.

Nathan "nwood" Wood
Senior Level Designer, YAGER

18 Mars 2015 12:27

maybe a system like warthunder uses could be of help (at least a little bit), where bombers start up higher in the air and fighters down below
or you could let people choose from two altitudes where they want to start at....
that does not really solve the problem of mapbuilding but i think it can also add to the whole idea

time you enjoy wasting, is no wasted time

Ce forum est restreint, les posts ne peuvent y être créés.