FORUMS

Ship type idea: Carriers

Posté: //
22 Juillet 2016 10:25

Good Day Everyone,

My buddies and I were just getting into Dreadnought, and we sparked an idea.
What does everyone think of a carrier type of ship, that carries smaller planes that you fire, which in turn fire their own lasers and the like. Essentially you could have modules that allow for a bomber squadron or a large cooldown that sends another medium ship out. You wouldn't have control of what the little ships attack, as basically you're just launching them, but you could have a "focus this" module, as well as a module for a "boarding party".

I just thought it would be interesting and may add more uniqueness to the game. Thanks!

Booyah

22 Juillet 2016 10:38

Welcome to the game and the forums. Now there's a new idea ... wait, no, actually it's probably the most often proposed ship type around, so I'll refer to existing discussions. Also Dreadnoughts can unlock fighter and interceptor bays.

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

22 Juillet 2016 11:25

Snib#1627 posted (#post-41136)

Welcome to the game and the forums. Now there's a new idea ... wait, no, actually it's probably the most often proposed ship type around, so I'll refer to existing discussions. Also Dreadnoughts can unlock fighter and interceptor bays.

Makes sense, however if it is in fact the most proposed, that gives the idea that it would be wildly popular in game.

22 Juillet 2016 12:02

Maybe. People go crazy over them, but pure carrier type ships are always difficult because once you shoot down their launched craft they end up basically useless.

My Dreadnought tools and resources: Dreadnought Datamine | Snib's Dreadnought Steam Launcher | Hangar background noise remover

22 Juillet 2016 13:43

Snib#1627 posted (#post-41139)

Maybe. People go crazy over them, but pure carrier type ships are always difficult because once you shoot down their launched craft they end up basically useless.

Then use drones, and reload is simply absorbing parts of the environment to build more.

22 Juillet 2016 14:06

Oh sure wasn't saying you wouldn't be able to relaunch them, but it would have to have a cooldown of course an in-between a carrier would be helpless. And you cannot really make the fighters indestructible, either, because that would create other balance problems.

Not saying it cannot be done, just that that's what's typically the problem you run into with carrier type ships. They are really hard to balance.

22 Juillet 2016 14:17

Snib#1627 posted (#post-41146)

Oh sure wasn't saying you wouldn't be able to relaunch them, but it would have to have a cooldown of course an in-between a carrier would be helpless. And you cannot really make the fighters indestructible, either, because that would create other balance problems.

Not saying it cannot be done, just that that's what's typically the problem you run into with carrier type ships. They are really hard to balance.

Another idea then, the fighter's only have so much ammunition they can fire, then they deplete their reserves and kamikazee or return to the carrier to reload.

23 Juillet 2016 12:05

On the one hand I'd love the idea of a dedicated Carrier class that relies solely on fighters for attack instead of guns.

On the other hand though, Dreadnoughts in the current game are already capable of equipping fighter bays to essentially act as carrier/BB hybrids. I do feel as though they need to address the current uselessness of said modules first before even trying to tackle something like a dedicated Carrier class.

24 Juillet 2016 22:59

LGear#9624 posted (#post-41214)

On the one hand I'd love the idea of a dedicated Carrier class that relies solely on fighters for attack instead of guns.

On the other hand though, Dreadnoughts in the current game are already capable of equipping fighter bays to essentially act as carrier/BB hybrids. I do feel as though they need to address the current uselessness of said modules first before even trying to tackle something like a dedicated Carrier class.

Haha I have nothing to say against this

25 Juillet 2016 05:17

Hm, I dunno xD
This has been proposed already many times, as already said by Snib.
But I think there might be two problems, or maybe one, to tackle, which is the AI of these fighter-ships and maybe being able to give them commands.
So far, the fighter-drones launched by the Dreadnoughts are somewhat unpredictable on what they're targeting.

But I like the idea of a specific Carrier-Class and I think the DEVs already know that the wish for such a class exists, so they might be thinking about this^^

Dreadnought - & - Tac. Cruiser

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. -5:40(!spoiler)

Ce forum est restreint, les posts ne peuvent y être créés.