FORUMS

Does the Surface area of a ship affect enemy fire hitting it?

Posté: //
6 Octobre 2017 22:35

Mis à jour //
6 Octobre 2017 22:54

Here's a question for the developper.

Does the look of ship as an impact on its hit box?

Here's an image to better represent what a mean. Its a Fulgora and the same vessel with the Outis skin. Does the area that are bigger due to the skin of the Outis skin affect if the ship is hit by ennemy fire. If you follow the red lines i drew on the images you can see that the Outis has a bigger wingspan and longer nose.

description

Click here to see my Tutorial videos for beginners and Twitch page

7 Octobre 2017 00:30

Good question!

He's a fully integrated, multi-fetish artificial being. And the best part......IS THAT HE'S LEARNING.

7 Octobre 2017 11:24

As far as I know, you won't take extra damage on the extra hull parts.

Dreadnought Support Tool | Customer Support | Dreadnought Discord | Ship Datamine - by Snib

7 Octobre 2017 21:02

For example the Trident skin makes the heavy dreadnought quite longer.It seems like when shielding the whole area of the ship is covered by the bubble,so normally that would mean that the hitbox is bigger also.i always had that question in my mind,would be nice if we had an official answer from a Dev here.

"The First Of His Name"

8 Octobre 2017 02:49

Same with Jupiter Arms Arty. Higher tier it's get bigger.

Bigger model = Bigger hitbox

I think it have impact on hitbox size.

Would be great if Dev would answer.

8 Octobre 2017 03:06

I'm going to say yes. But then how often to you shoot just the little bit of the enemy ship sticking out? I normally aim for the biggest area.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 4690K @ 3.5GHz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Dreadnought Support tool | Customer Support | Rookie Helping Hand Manuel

9 Octobre 2017 06:05

I doubt it, because you can transmog/modify the Medusa to look like the Fulgora and vice versa, and that would mean, that just by changing your optical model, you also would get a different hit box, which would be somewhat unfair for Players with nonmodified models of the same ship.
I think, there is an Independent hitbox for collision stuff and hit detection, so that it doesn´t matter, which optical parts you choose for your ship.

Jede Geschichte hat vier Seiten: Deine Seite, Ihre Seite, die Wahrheit und das, was wirklich geschehen ist. Welten brechen auseinander, Formationen nicht.

9 Octobre 2017 08:21

I main a sniper so i spend most of my time zoomed in shooting point targets. If there is a difference it's too small to notice except in perhaps some extremely rare cases. I'm fairly certain that for ships with a significant size difference what you can see is what you can hit, otherwise i definitely would have noticed shots clipping through ship models and there would be threads complaining about it. For small ships like this i'm fairly certain that the tolerances of the hitbox for both ship and projectile are such that the extra bits don't matter.

If ship models do indeed subtly change hit boxes then probably the biggest argument i could see for it would be the strange, hovering torpedo misses you see every 10 or so rounds but that seems like a stretch to me.

-Citizen Soldier -"Do not bring forth an argument that can be disproved with a 10 minute google search."

9 Octobre 2017 10:30

I doubt developers will confirm this; they want players to use the skin they want to for looks, not for everyone to use the same smallest skin size for a competitive edge.

9 Octobre 2017 20:44

Mis à jour //
9 Octobre 2017 20:46

The problem as I see it is as follows:

Every original tier version of a manufacturer and ship class is smaller than any later tier version of that ship. This is because the later tiers basically slap on appearance attachments to alter the look of the original. They never reduce the size from the original.

If, hit boxes are modified by the appearance attachments then they increase the size of the hit box making the ship easier to hit. If that is the case then max/min players would always strip off the appearance attachments to reduce the size of the ship back to the original model.

Regardless, we, as players should be told how it works so that we can make informed decisions about our ships. This is a pvp game up front information on something like that gives the game legitimacy if they ever want tournaments and the like.

If the attachments make the ships easier to hit then the devs have two choices:

1) Leave it as it is and let people trade vanity for handicaps. If this is communicated to the playerbase clearly, it is perfectly acceptable since people will make informed decisions. Of course in competitive play we will see the min-tier models being used exclusively.

2) Make the hitboxes uniform regardless of appearance attachments. Again, if this is communicated to the playerbase clearly, it is perfectly acceptable since people will make informed decisions. In competitive play ships will have a variety of physical configurations. The cost is that players will need to accept that they may not have hit that Outis since the nose looks longer than it really is.

Regardless of the outcome - we should be informed. Keeping these things secret does no one any good in the long run.

Ce forum est restreint, les posts ne peuvent y être créés.