FORUMS

why this game is not on steam?

Posté: //
20 Octobre 2017 16:15

Flashing#9380 posted (#post-156674)

Of cause you can have a local company to publish it in China. But Chinese gamer love STEAM, they hate their local publishers.

You are forgetting about localization. It costs a lot of money to do that. I know Arena Net took Guild Wars 2 over there about 2 years ago. There was a lot of red tape they had to go through to get the game launched over there. Not to mention the Chinese players are not on the same server system as every other guild wars 2 player in the world.

As ANet had to go through a 3rd party to launch it. It has also been monetized in a very different way. With the 3rd party vendor taking a cut. It would be no different to the game being on Steam, except that steam would be taking a cut from the rest of the world too.

ANet went the 3rd party route so they could keep there profits from the rest of the world to the. Selfs. Proba my the same way Graybox/Yager/6foot want to keep things too. I mean why pay someone to just take a cut of your profits when all you are really getting from them is maybe a boost to your player base.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 11600K @ 3.9GHz|32GB Corsair Vengunce RGP SL Pro 3600mHz|MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Plus|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Corsair TX 650W|Win11 Pro X64| Corsair Spec Delta Case|

Dreadnought Support tool | Customer Support | Rookie Helping Hand Manuel

20 Octobre 2017 17:21

Steam can be pretty toxic for games that have small development teams - cos players get so impatient for changes and fixes.
Sticking a beta game there is russian roulette if there are still kinks to be worked out. I dont think the reviews would be fair to DN - It took me a while and a few breaks before I really got into it, but my first impression was kind of lukewarm because its so barebones - you have to find something to love in the core game, and I dont think a lot of steam players have the patience for that, so youll get a lot of "meh played for 30 minutes and its no good" kind of reviews which I dont think will do it justice.

https://i.imgur.com/0YsEdDQ.png

22 Octobre 2017 12:43

Bonita#7095 posted (#post-158537)

Steam can be pretty toxic for games that have small development teams - cos players get so impatient for changes and fixes.
Sticking a beta game there is russian roulette if there are still kinks to be worked out. I dont think the reviews would be fair to DN - It took me a while and a few breaks before I really got into it, but my first impression was kind of lukewarm because its so barebones - you have to find something to love in the core game, and I dont think a lot of steam players have the patience for that, so youll get a lot of "meh played for 30 minutes and its no good" kind of reviews which I dont think will do it justice.

Yeah you are right. Review bombing is a common thing to happen on Steam. Some are just people venting there anger to a Dev for an unpopular change etc. While I can understand people getting annoyed with a Dev for not agreeing with the choice. I do think the practice of review bombing is not a good thing. You can always make everyone happy. You just have to try and do what's best for the majority of the games population and hope the unhappy ones fall in line.

https://gb-live-privateassetsbucket-1359zn8x1as94.s3.amazonaws.com/images/Brother_Belial_Forum_Signature.original.original.png

i5 11600K @ 3.9GHz|32GB Corsair Vengunce RGP SL Pro 3600mHz|MSI MPG Z590 Gaming Plus|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|Corsair TX 650W|Win11 Pro X64| Corsair Spec Delta Case|

Dreadnought Support tool | Customer Support | Rookie Helping Hand Manuel

28 Octobre 2017 12:41

Bonita#7095 posted (#post-158537)

This is pretty much why going to Steam this early is a bad idea. Yeah it can bring the game to a wider audience, but in this day and age, the current generation of gamers play like they live, wanting and needing instant gratification, so if the game is not done or they find an issue they don't like, they bash and flame the game to no end without realizing (or caring) that it's in alpha/beta and it's still not done. And once the bad reviews hit, most of other gamers stay away from the game.

Better to keep it this way for now, build hype, then as the game is closer to ready, then give out a specific amount of keys to gaming sites to perform stress tests, and then if the company is willing, then Steam. Though I can think of many games that became successful without Steam (they joined after their success to maintain numbers).

https://static.greybox.com/static/media/images/Pedro_Signature.original.png

Ce forum est restreint, les posts ne peuvent y être créés.