FORUMS

Graphical User Interface

Posté: //
8 Août 2015 12:57

Mis à jour //
8 Août 2015 13:01

Hey guys,

I stumbled upon the Dreadnought booth at gamescom this year and decided to play it a bit because the line was really short at the trade visitor-only day. I started to like it better and better the more games I played (which is a total of about 25-30 games so far, love it), but there's one thing that bothers me a bit.

As you might have guessed by the thread's title already I'm talking about the game's GUI/HUD. At the current state it's extremely confusing and hard to understand.

Some things you should really get done asap:

• Color health bar red
    Crucial information like this should be highlighted by a color different to the rest of the UI. Red is usually used for health (and Dreadnought uses it for enemy health bars already)
  • Add team score to scoreboard
    Even though this adds a bit redundancy it makes it easier to keep track of it while checking your own stats.
  • Highlight own kills in the kill announcements
    Why? Because it makes it possible to see if you were able to sneak the kill with one glance.
  • Add a compass (either to the minimap or to the top of the screen)
    When we got challenged by a team of 5 other dedicated Dreadnought players on thursday (or friday? can't remember) we got told that teamspeak was running in the background. As a former semi-competitive AoE2 player I'm used to do a lot of shotcalling which was extremely inconvenient without being able to tell what direction enemies are coming from.
    As a result to that we were limited to using the mark-enemy-feature which is completely defeating the advantage of being able to talk to each other.
  • Add more verbose stats for vehicles, weaponry and skills
    Theory crafting is kinda difficult if everything you have is estimated values. Keeping a wiki updated might be a good idea as well.

Maybe I'll add visualisations of the requested changes after the Dreadnought party tonight.

Greetings, Che.

PS: Please rename my forum account to Che if possible as this is my actual online handle. Too bad names are currently limited to 4 chars minimum :(

8 Août 2015 13:15

Mis à jour //
8 Août 2015 13:23

Tsche#7827 posted (#post-4071)

Hey guys,

I stumbled upon the Dreadnought booth at gamescom this year and decided to play it a bit because the line was really short at the trade visitor-only day. I started to like it better and better the more games I played (which is a total of about 25-30 games so far, love it), but there's one thing that bothers me a bit.

As you might have guessed by the thread's title already I'm talking about the game's GUI/HUD. At the current state it's extremely confusing and hard to understand.

Some things you should really get done asap:

• Color health bar red
    Crucial information like this should be highlighted by a color different to the rest of the UI. Red is usually used for health (and Dreadnought uses it for enemy health bars already)
  • Add team score to scoreboard
    Even though this adds a bit redundancy it makes it easier to keep track of it while checking your own stats.
  • Highlight own kills in the kill announcements
    Why? Because it makes it possible to see if you were able to sneak the kill with one glance.
  • Add a compass (either to the minimap or to the top of the screen)
    When we got challenged by a team of 5 other dedicated Dreadnought players on thursday (or friday? can't remember) we got told that teamspeak was running in the background. As a former semi-competitive AoE2 player I'm used to do a lot of shotcalling which was extremely inconvenient without being able to tell what direction enemies are coming from.
    As a result to that we were limited to using the mark-enemy-feature which is completely defeating the advantage of being able to talk to each other.
  • Add more verbose stats for vehicles, weaponry and skills
    Theory crafting is kinda difficult if everything you have is estimated values. Keeping a wiki updated might be a good idea as well.

Maybe I'll add visualisations of the requested changes after the Dreadnought party tonight.

Greetings, Che.

PS: Please rename my forum account to Che if possible as this is my actual online handle. Too bad names are currently limited to 4 chars minimum :(

i don't find it hard to understand.Maybe because i saw it many times
1.health bar red
i disagree with that.Not all healthbars in games are red.Colour red is used as enemy healthbar and not yours.It's perfect as it is for now.
2.team score to scoreboard
they could make it
3.50-50
4.they could make WoT map with the squares.It will be easier to say where is the enemy,but even if the enemy isn't spotted you can see him in the game because the ships are big

Dreadnought Wikia

8 Août 2015 14:57

A Map with coordinates could be really useful at large maps. REALLY large maps. Don't know so far how large the maps will be. Because on small maps you 1. don't need it and 2. wouldn't be able to look it up so fast. Directions (from the compass) would be really useful. Or you have to use landmarks. Dunno...

The kill highlighting would be useful. Just a different colour for the kill text.

JB Logo Cute little thingy-thing

8 Août 2015 15:54

Mis à jour //
8 Août 2015 15:58

J4nB1#5520 posted (#post-4080)

Or you have to use landmarks. Dunno...

I think with time, the players will give the landmarks names and callouts like in almost every other game, too.
Like for the map with destroyed city and the grassy mountains/hill-range. There is the bridge under which you can go which could be called "Down-under", or the tower on that map "the needle". (These are just names I pulled out of my brain)
However, an overlaying grid that could be dis-/abled would be really great too and really cater towards comp. players, too (I'm not a big comp-player nor a comp-fan, casual is my way to go, tho ^^)

Dreadnought - & - Tac. Cruiser

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. -5:40(!spoiler)

8 Août 2015 20:58

DEVASTRATOR#4326 posted (#post-4073)
i don't find it hard to understand.Maybe because i saw it many times

Exactly. You get the drill after a few games but it's confusing if you're new to the game. Maybe that's because a huge amount of games (especially MOBAs and MMORPGs) use red or green colored health bars - the only non-blue-ish fixed HUD thing in the game is enemy team stats.

I fear it might discourage new players to keep playing, that's why I'm suggesting this tiny change.

9 Août 2015 00:30

we allready had a discussion about minimaps here, if you care to join ;D
https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/606/

well a good solution for some stuff might be a customizable HUD where we can choose colour/size/location of certain elements in the HUD. you could choose what colour the healthbars on enemies/friendlies have, you could make the healtbar bigger or smaller, maybe put it somewhere else or select a different shape for the layout. i'm pretty sure they will keep it as simple as possible for now and later on in the development process have a look at new stuff for HUDs....

time you enjoy wasting, is no wasted time

9 Août 2015 04:37

jownsy#3157 posted (#post-4102)

we allready had a discussion about minimaps here, if you care to join ;D
https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/606/

well a good solution for some stuff might be a customizable HUD where we can choose colour/size/location of certain elements in the HUD. you could choose what colour the healthbars on enemies/friendlies have, you could make the healtbar bigger or smaller, maybe put it somewhere else or select a different shape for the layout. i'm pretty sure they will keep it as simple as possible for now and later on in the development process have a look at new stuff for HUDs....

that's also good option,it will be very usefull not only to new players but to old players too

Dreadnought Wikia

9 Août 2015 05:57

jownsy#3157 posted (#post-4102)

Would really love something like that! But, in the end, it will depend on how comfortable I will be with the native GUI: if Yager do, as I suppose they will, a good interface, I will probably never modify it =)

9 Août 2015 05:57

Hey everybody, this is the kind of feedback we LIVE for. Thank you! I will make sure this thread gets in front of the right folks. :)

9 Août 2015 06:01

Drakane#2657 posted (#post-4105)

Hey everybody, this is the kind of feedback we LIVE for. Thank you! I will make sure this thread gets in front of the right folks. :)

Hi Drakane! Already up to work?

Ce forum est restreint, les posts ne peuvent y être créés.