FORUMS

It's all about the, well, sound?

Posté: //
9 Août 2015 12:36

So, today i was thinking about the sound in dreadnought. Music for example. And effects. Like explosions and gunfire.

But first, about the music: I think music is a big thing in games. An important component, of every game. The game might be great, great gameplay and graphics. But if the music is bad...well, you'll just turn it down. That's easy. But i think music in a game should is an atmospheric part of it. When you are in a battle and the game switches to a loud, fast song. And after that, you hear a heroic song, you feel big, strong, powerful. The music carries you through the game. That's why the music should be good. In story based games as well as in MMOs.

Now, about the effects. Really big part in Dreadnought i think. I think you still hear too much sound. The projectiles of artillery whooshing past you. Explosions in the distance. Gunsounds of ships in the distance. You shouldn't hear that. It should be silent. When a big dreadnought is exploding near you, the only thing you should hear are the impacts of pieces of the ship on your hull. No detonation sound. Nothing. That's what was so great about the film "Gravity". You saw the station exploding. But you heard nothing. That's terrifying. That's what i want. The sound of steel bending when your ship takes heavy fire. And when your ship blows up: silence.
And on the other side are the battles in the atmosphere. You should hear the big explosions in the distance. But not instantaneously. But with a little delay. Because sound needs some time. And the sound of the guns on your ship? If you give a broadside with the Dreadnought your hear should shake as much as the ship in the game for sure does. You should "feel" the guns firing in your bones. It should feel like you are sitting in a ship with really heavy guns. Not like you are firing a 5.56mm gun.
I can't really talk about the sounds of the ships in atmosphere yet. Haven't seen any good content. Could you guys link be some videos?

I hope i kick off a discussion with this. Would be interesting. :D

JB Logo Cute little thingy-thing

9 Août 2015 13:29

Mis à jour //
9 Août 2015 13:29

i actually disagree with you on the soundfx.
while it might be more correct to not hear any sound or delay the sound on atmosphere maps, the sound in games like dreadnought serves the purpose of giving information as well. while the bigger part is feeling badass and having awesome blastsounds from your guns, you can also use some of the sounds to maybe detect the position of someone, notice an ability going of etc.
i like to have big bassy sounds for my guns and abilities, makes the feeling more gritty.

EDIT: the sounfx thing is probably just a preference thing

here's a link to a rather small discussion we had going about the music in the game:
https://www.greybox.com/dreadnought/en/forum/topic/620/

time you enjoy wasting, is no wasted time

9 Août 2015 13:39

Mis à jour //
9 Août 2015 13:45

J4nB1#5520 posted (#post-4130)

So, today i was thinking about the sound in dreadnought. Music for example. And effects. Like explosions and gunfire.

But first, about the music: I think music is a big thing in games. An important component, of every game. The game might be great, great gameplay and graphics. But if the music is bad...well, you'll just turn it down. That's easy. But i think music in a game should is an atmospheric part of it. When you are in a battle and the game switches to a loud, fast song. And after that, you hear a heroic song, you feel big, strong, powerful. The music carries you through the game. That's why the music should be good. In story based games as well as in MMOs.

that really reminds me of the "the last of us". I personally haven't played it, but according to the interwebs, the music in this game is freaggin' brilliant itself, the music is used in a really good way of making the atmosphere very fluid and somewhat carrying the atmosphere, too. The game itself is great, but the music pushes it even further.
(Same in Films, by the way. You can click on the link in my siggy, I personally am a huge fan of Ennio Morricone, who composed many filmscores, but his western-music is one of the best fulmmusics, from my point of view ^^ Here (from 1:10-1:45) for example the camerawork itself is done really well (for the time the film was made), but the music is the cherry in top of the cake ^^

Now, about the effects. Really big part in Dreadnought i think. I think you still hear too much sound. The projectiles of artillery whooshing past you. Explosions in the distance. Gunsounds of ships in the distance. >You shouldn't hear that. It should be silent. When a big dreadnought is exploding near you, the only thing you should hear are the impacts of pieces of the ship on your hull. No detonation sound. Nothing. >That's what was so great about the film "Gravity". You saw the station exploding. But you heard nothing. >That's terrifying. That's what i want. The sound of steel bending when your ship takes heavy fire. And when your ship blows up: silence.
And on the other side are the battles in the atmosphere. You should hear the big explosions in the distance. But not instantaneously. But with a little delay. Because sound needs some time. And the sound of the guns on your ship? If you give a broadside with the Dreadnought your hear should shake as much as the ship in the game for sure does. You should "feel" the guns firing in your bones. It should feel like you are sitting in a ship with really heavy guns. Not like you are firing a 5.56mm gun.
I can't really talk about the sounds of the ships in atmosphere yet. Haven't seen any good content. Could you guys link be some video

The first thing that struck me when I read your post, was wat?, but then soon I thought you were implying the feel of submarine-films.
For example your description reminds me of a scene of "Das Boot"

Here the german boat during WWII get's caught by surprise by the enemies and they have to dive deeper than the boat is built for, because the machines for getting up are destroyed. They hit the ground and stay there while they repair things and have to deal with several leaks and all the time there are several sounds made by the boat itself. This video is only a small scene of the whole ground-scene.
At 4:11 the sounds like you described start, like the creaking of the hull under the pressure, etc.

Maybe the best scene could be this one starting at 1:40. There is a fresh reporter on the boat and they do a test-dive and scare him (a bit), for example the guy in the black coat says "typical is 90m... we can go deeper, but of course... at some point it's the end because of the pressure. At some point, the boat will be simply crushed"- finito ^^

Overall I don't really know, though. Of course this would add quite a ton of immersion to the game itself, but it somewhat could make the game also boring to watch (if you're not playing, but watching a stream/gameplay).

The best would be (as always) to leave it up to the individual player. Like giving him several options for the audio: "Exterior effects volume", "Interior/Hull effects Volume", "Music Volume", and so on...
edit: dangit, jownsy was quicker, I had been working on this post for too long it seems xD

Dreadnought - & - Tac. Cruiser

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. -5:40(!spoiler)

9 Août 2015 14:03

Hmm, yeah. In the atmosphere sound could be an indicator to the location of an enemy. But in the vacuum...i think it would disturb the atmosphere. The feel. You still see the shots though. But they should be silent.

And in atmosphere you would have the full spectrum of all the bombastic sounds. :D

Thank you two for our replies, was interesting to read through. Hope there will be more. :D

9 Août 2015 14:47

I see your point, but :D
sometimes realism must be screwed over for a game to be able to make the game "fun enough" and enjoyable to the "averge" player.

Maybe Star Citizen pulls this off, because it's designed to be a "Space Simulator", but I think Dreadnought more caters towards casual players (&also comp. players, of course...), hence the "easy" control of the ships that it's easy to get the hang of, the MOBA-like abilities, etc.
And as such, having a fully working sound is kinda needed.
Maybe it's 100% needed for the player himself, but when watching a gameplay, it can become rather un-entertaining and boring, if there is no fully fledged game-sound.

As always, being able to de-/activate the sounds individually within a sound-menue would be the best way to go and be somewhat of a compromise, because it allows everybody do decide on how to play individually ^^

Dreadnought - & - Tac. Cruiser

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend.
Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. -5:40(!spoiler)

9 Août 2015 18:32

Mis à jour //
9 Août 2015 18:33

The "sound in space" concept can always be given an in-character explanation of "sound is being simulated by your ship's computer to give you situational awareness". I mean, if you think about it, it makes perfect sense, why would you ignore an important way to provide pilots with information such as sound?

9 Août 2015 18:39

Mis à jour //
9 Août 2015 18:43

@Irish: Something like the "Realistic Sounds" in "Space Engineers"? So you could turn it off? But then you would have a tactical disadvantage to the others. Either all or no one can hear the sounds. ArmA is also trimmed to be a simulation, but it's a lot of fun. Maybe a concept like in "War Thunder" would work, with two game modes. "Arcade Mode" and "Realistic Mode". And in realistic mode you would have a more realistic handling of the ships and more ways to control them (unlock the ship from it's momentum and turn it while you are flying to another direction). I think this would be a good solution. This is it. :D

@THD: But then it should get translated into informations and displayed on the hud, not into sound. So, if shots fly by nearby your hud should tell you that and maybe even calculate the origin of the shots and show it to you. So you can return fire to the origin.

9 Août 2015 18:50

Mis à jour //
9 Août 2015 18:50

@J4nB1, not necessarily, I'd say it would certainly make sense to present the information as sound, because translating it all into visual cues would give you an information overload and clutter your hud. Thats the reason why for example in RL fighter jets a lot of info such as warnings are given in audio form.

9 Août 2015 18:57

Yeah, warnings. But it shouldn't just be the sounds of shots swooshing by. It should be a real warning sound or something like that. A beeping sound from the top of left or right or bottom or from behind or in front of you. So you know where the shots are coming from.

9 Août 2015 19:50

If it is technically possible to simulate a complex sound environment, then there is no reason not to do that. The info you get from beep warnings isn't very nuanced, the reason to have them is that they are recognizable and easy to implement. But more detailed sounds would give you more information, so it isn't hard to imagine such sound simulation to be created at some point in future.

Ce forum est restreint, les posts ne peuvent y être créés.