Welcome to the third installment of the first Balance Adjustments discussion! Today, we're going to be finishing things off with situations that are most likely to occur in the middle and late stages of a match. This is part of a larger list of changes going into the newly announced PTB Build!
Table of Contents
Balance Adjustments Part 3 - Mid and Late Game Combat
1. “Destructors outmatch their Human and Beta tank counterparts.”
Destructors are more expensive to build than both Predators and Gladii. They do not have move while fire functionality like their Beta and Human tank counterparts, but a combination of their range, movement speed and rate of fire make this fact almost negligible. We have been experimenting with potential changes to this unit to make it more challenging to shoot on the move.
• Destructor movement speed down from 120 to 105
2. “The Destructor Goo Splash Upgrade is too effective against groups of units.”
Currently, the same damage is applied to all targets in an AoE and the Destructor has an armor penetration of 6, making it even more effective than artillery units, as it can eat all the way through siege unit level armor. We’ve split the splash damage away from the primary damage so that this upgrade can be more finely tuned. The primary damage will likely remain the same, but the splash damage will need to be lowered. The armor penetration will likely stay untouched. We want this upgrade to be more competitive with the Contagious Goo Upgrade.
• Goo Splash Upgrade has been redesigned: Target damage and splash damage have been separated, splash damage down from 42 to 15 but target damage remains the same.
3. “The Teleporter is too easy to ambush with and is hard to counter.”
We are adding a telegraph to the Teleporter. An audio queue will play for all enemies when it’s activated, letting them know something is happening, followed by a pre-warp-in visual effect in the teleport area. This should help lessen the effectiveness of a Teleporter used to ambush an army or an enemy base.
• Teleporter now has a visible 5 second charge up telegraph and an audio queue before activation
4. “Lancers are very effective against units, when they should be primarily used against structures.”
Lancers are intended to be siege weapons but they can effectively zap their way through groups of enemy units. Default Lancers have too much burst damage because they don’t ramp up gradually enough to their max DPS. Increasing the ramp up time between stages and widening the DPS values for each stage should alleviate this.
• Lancer level one DPS down from 50 to 10
• Lancer level two DPS down from 60 to 40
• Lancer damage levels one and two now last 3 seconds up from 2
5. “Aircraft and Anti-Air combat happens so quickly that players don’t have time to react.”
Aircraft and anti-air have a cruel relationship; they often exchange blows too quickly for a player to react and this can cause confusion and frustration on both sides. Lowering the DPS of aircraft, slowing the rate of fire but increasing the total ammo and damage will help slow down the combat. AA will have more time-on-target so lowered DPS is also necessary. This is a large game system so balancing this relationship will need to be measured and tested thoroughly.
• Cloudburst damage down from 10 to 5
• Stratus health down from 100 to 75
• Warbird rate of fire up from 0.5 to 1
• Warbird ammo up from 4 to 5
• Warbird cost up from 270 to 315
• Warbird armor penetration down from 6 to 0
• Nimbus ammo up from 2 to 3
• Nimbus damage down from 75 to 50
• Nimbus Napalm now lasts 5 seconds down from 5.5
• Nimbus Napalm AoE radius down from 250 to 200
• Hanger now rearms aircraft 1 ammo every sec up from 1 ammo every 2 sec
• Tempest damage down from 25 to 15