Contest Entry - Once Upon a RiME (Video)

Posted:
May 17, 2017, 5 a.m.

Well, it's taken an awful lot of work, but my contest entry is finally ready:

https://youtu.be/Be_2Qx6jbO8

I know my art should speak for itself, but just by way of explanation, I wanted to share the logic behind our entry.

My two-year-old daughter loves playing video games.

We like to choose nice, safe game worlds that don't feature violence, wandering around and interacting with whatever we find. We've explored peaceful areas in Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, and Wind Waker, taking time to play with pigs or visit castles.

From the moment I first saw it, I knew RiME would be another fantastic game for my daughter to explore, and so, with this entry for the RiME creative contest, I wanted to build something that would feel like a fairy tale, or the kind of story book my daughter loves to read when we're not playing games together.

My wife and I make similar videos about the history of game development for fun, but this contest entry is the first time we've tried making something based on the plot of a game. I wanted to explore the first puzzle of the game, using an IGN video as the basis of the story. When I saw the enormous pig that guards one beacon, I knew this was a story my daughter would love to see dramatized.

This has really pushed me as a creator. In addition to exploring and trying a new art style (I'm not usually one for backgrounds), I tried my hand at music composition for the first time, to try and make something that fit with the game. The result isn't perfect, and it's a bit rough around the edges, but I've taken some first steps to learning a new skill, and that makes me happy.

Hopefully the video communicates the childlike joy and wonder that's at the center of RiME, and, with any luck, it'll leave viewers feeling uplifted. It's been a long road to finishing this video,and it's really stretched me as a creator, but I'm proud of what I've accomplished, and what I've learned along the way.

Posted:
May 17, 2017, 10:31 a.m.

Lovely. I was a music major in school, and I can say with confidence that your composition lent a lovely background to a lovely storybook handling of the first parts of RiME. Bravo!

DN_PinkyPie
Games Technical Support Agent

This forum is restricted, posts cannot be made.